[OT] : Top Posting vs Bottom Posting

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Wayne Wastier, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. Wayne Wastier, Jul 17, 2005

  2. Wayne Wastier

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jul 17, 2005

  3. I prefer top posting because it lets me see the latest and most relevant
    information in a thread while not confusing what I'm trying to focus on.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 17, 2005
  4. Wayne Wastier

    Harry Ohrn Guest

    Wayne Wastier wrote:
    > Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet for
    > over 10 years should read this:
    >
    > http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    >
    > Take care,
    > Wayne

    Wayne bottom posting makes more sense in newsgroups that are chatty. Top
    posting is certainly fine in technical groups where, more often tha not,
    we are simply making short, specific, and often single replies.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca\windowsxp
    Harry Ohrn, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Wayne Wastier

    Harry Ohrn Guest

    Harry Ohrn, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Wayne Wastier

    Dennis Pack Guest

    At work I'm using an Email server all day. Any replies are top posted to the
    original message or top posted to the reply with history. In this newsgroup
    if you top post to the first post the only listing your posting will show is
    the original message. If you post anywhere in the string of posts it will
    include the previous posts to the original post. If you look at the default
    cursor position when you reply to a posting it will be a top post unless you
    move the cursor to the bottom.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 17, 2005
  7. Wayne Wastier

    Jed Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:31:50 -0400, "Dennis Pack"
    <> wrote:

    >"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    >>I prefer top posting because it lets me see the latest and most relevant
    >>information in a thread while not confusing what I'm trying to focus on.

    >At work I'm using an Email server all day. Any replies are top posted to the
    >original message or top posted to the reply with history. In this newsgroup
    >if you top post to the first post the only listing your posting will show is
    >the original message. If you post anywhere in the string of posts it will
    >include the previous posts to the original post. If you look at the default
    >cursor position when you reply to a posting it will be a top post unless you
    >move the cursor to the bottom.

    Not if you use most any other Usenet newreading software than Outlook
    Express like Forte Agent, Xnews, Gravity, Mozilla Thunderbird, Dialog
    by 40tude, TRN (Unix/Linux), STRN(UnixLinux), Knode(Linux), Safari
    (Mac), etc. (and there has been a patch for OE out there for years
    that fixes the curser location and quoting). Just saying...
    Jed, Jul 17, 2005
  8. Not to be nit picky, but I think some of you that haven't been on usenet for
    over 10 years should read this:

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

    Take care,
    Wayne

    The article is right on track.

    It does make more sense to bottom post rather that top post but it is easier
    to top post, depending on your newsreader. Many, (Like Agent), by default
    will automatically place your reply at the bottom of the previous post,
    however Outlook or OE does not.

    I thought this quote was funny and somewhat prejudiced against Microsoft,
    (Referring to OE):

    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
    they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge

    From the Gem Saloon in Deadwood, SD
    Al Swearengen

    POST ON
    Al Swearengen, Jul 17, 2005