OT - Tony, OpenSUSE 11 is out

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Jun 20, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jun 20, 2008

  2. You certainly are up and awake - yes, I've had RC1 installed on the Notebook
    for a while now, and I was waiting for the release to appear on http/ftp
    download since I am not on friendly terms with torrents on Windows. I'll
    probably give it a 'go' over the weekend. I like it very much!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 20, 2008

  3. Are you running it natively or virtualized?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 20, 2008
  4. Shortly after buying it, some three years ago, I set it up to dual-boot with
    XP and varying 'distros' but I eventually zapped the Windows partition after
    a year and it has ben running Suse 10.3 since.

    Unfortunately, I have not had the time and freedom to really use it on a
    daily basis, just struggled to keep it up and going, as best I could. Things
    are lighting up it seems, so perhaps I shall finally be able to put some
    work onto it?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 20, 2008
  5. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    More official news and details here:
    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/06/19/announcing-opensuse-110-gm/
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 20, 2008
  6. Thanks!

    2% down 98 to go!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 20, 2008
  7. As it happens, at 50% my connection died and I went to bed instead - now, I
    just did it over again and I now have the DVD down and safe after apprx. 1
    hour!

    The RC1 is brilliant! This one has to be better!

    (Who was it that said: "I'm all right when I'm good, but I'm better when I'm
    bad!" or some such thing - (Mae West?))

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Jun 21, 2008
  8. Carlos

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I have the 64 bit version installed on one of my Toshiba laptops. I am
    having some difficulty getting the networked printers installed. There are
    no drivers for the Canon that I can find but never mind. That's not a new
    issue with that printer and any Linux distribution. There are for the HP but
    I can't establish any communication between the notebook and that printer's
    in-built print server. This was not an issue with the latest Ubuntu 64 bit.

    Perhaps I'll get a chance later this week-end to have another look.

    The notebook is not set to multi-boot. I have Vista, Ubuntu, Suse on
    different HDs and swap drives.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Jun 21, 2008
  9. O.K. - 11.0 is up and running fine. Not completely without wrinkles, but KDE
    3.5 (Window Manager) is stable (as it should be). It came right up
    recognizing the wireless, but enabling the Compiz 'cube' makes the window
    titlebars invisible! (Hrumpf!)

    I hope this is a side-effect from trying to iron out the wrinkles with the
    new KDE 4.0 (wich has it's own issues), I'll try and re-install with KDE 4.0
    in a few days! That installer is a real beauty, though!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 25, 2008
  10. I don't have my printer on a print server - I have to access it through
    wireless. The WiFi comes up allright, but I havn't had time to set up the
    printer yet. I meant to do it, but then I developed two minds about the
    driver issue, this notebook is 64bit but because the printer was attached to
    a 32bit machine (as the primary PC was away for repairs) I couldn't make up
    my mind.

    In the mean-time, the 64bit Desktop was returned and now I have to move the
    printer back, so the WiFi issue is a no-isssue. I was missing this machine
    for quite a while and need to get aquainted with it again before I'll be
    rolling for good.

    (Ho-humm!)

    But, you are right, I think. HP printing IS well provided for on Linux.
    Then, HP is a Linux supporter too.

    Tony. . .

    *******
    P.S. Ubuntu never really did catch on with me, I am particular to Gentoo but
    find the installation procedure cumbersome, so in the end I've come to like
    Sabayon very much. I think a 'source' based OS is a fantastic idea and when
    I retire in a few years, I will use that to produce my own LSF (Linux From
    Scratch) system - just for a larf, so I can learn to master the start-up
    configuration mystical maze!

    Unfortunately, SuSe is the only distro I like, which also has the required
    stability and user-society, that you can rely on it to do more than running
    'xscreensaver', or 'electricsheep'!
    *******

    Tony Sperling, Jul 31, 2008