OT: To A Movie Theater Employee...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Josh, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Josh

    Josh Guest

    Okay, this is going out to all of the people out there that either
    work at a movie theater or used to. I worked at a theater for a year
    and now that I don't work there anymore (the manager and I "didn't get
    along" IE he was an Asshole) I see all this shit as a patron that
    pisses me off. Some of it is in the "I would never have been allowed
    to get away with that" kind but most of it is in the "they fired me
    and the dickhead that got my job is a total moron" kind.

    An example, I just saw a movie on opening night and the moron that
    put the movie together spliced all of the trailers on BACKWARDS so the
    purple audio bar was running on the screen, there was no sound and
    everything was BACKWARDS. I know from experience that it is REALLY
    hard to **** this up. You have to be completely spacing out to miss
    lining up the big purple bar with the other big purple bar. I know
    it's not part of the admission price but I would have liked to
    (properly) see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Scary Movie 3 trailers.

    Another example would be something that I have not personally
    witnessed but when I get hired I heard all about (I was replacing the
    dingbat that did it). The women spliced the reels in a movie OUT OF
    ORDER. They are CLEARLY marked with a number so it's not that it's a
    hard thing to notice that reel 3 should come BEFORE reel 4 and not
    after it but the real kicker is that the movie ran for 2 full days (6
    showings) before someone noticed and reported it. They must have
    thought that the movie was meant to be "out of sequence" like SLC Punk
    or Pulp Fiction. But the point is that again this is something that
    really hard to **** up, when you splice you are to splice scene to
    scene, in other words the last scene on the previous reel should match
    up with the first scene from the next reel. How do you not notice
    this?

    Have you been watching a movie and had to get up and go tell an
    employee that the movie has been out of focus for quite a few minutes
    (sometimes a splice with knock the focus off)? I always had to check
    in on the movies every few minutes (10 or so) to make sure it was
    okay, everyone that works there now just starts it and reads a
    magazine until the movie is done. Lazy fucks. Or worse that the
    brain starts to wrap (you can see the film stretched out a bit on the
    screen). We ALWAYS had to check the brain at a minimum of every 15
    minutes.

    What really gets me is when you walk into "your" theater (I always
    worked at the same 2 screens) and it looks like shit with garbage all
    over and light bulbs burnt out and shit. While I would not call it
    pride I always did my job and as an ex-employee all I seem to see is
    everyone else slacking off. Just gets to you.

    Anyone have any other "peeves" with theaters other then the high
    price rant? The most annoying part of working at one is the god damn
    customers that are clear basket cases or total inbreds (%95 of them).
    But I won't go into that now....

    "This job would be great if it wasn't for all the fucking customers".
    Josh, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Josh

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Josh

    jpeabody Guest

    (Josh) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Okay, this is going out to all of the people out there that either
    > work at a movie theater or used to. I worked at a theater for a year

    A few weeks ago I was in a theater and one of the trailers was run
    upside-down and backwards. The sound was there, just backwards. And
    the image was upside-down. I'm not sure what film it was for, but it
    looked like some sort of sci-fi movie. Maybe that Ben Affleck movie
    where he can't remember the last couple years or something. Anyway, I
    think it actually looked cooler upside-down.
    jpeabody, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Josh

    Skid Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > In article <> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Josh <> wrote:
    > >I worked at a theater for a year
    > >and now that I don't work there anymore I see all this shit as a patron

    that
    > >pisses me off.

    > Like off-topic articles, you mean?
    >
    > Your rant has nothing to do with DVDs that I can see.

    I don't know about that, Stan.

    His rant lists a lot of the reasons I spend my money on DVDs instead of
    movie tickets.

    High prices, poor staff attitude and complete lack of customer service, plus
    lack of enforcement of even the most minimal rules -- allowing moviegoers to
    smoke and put their feet on the chair in front of them, talk through the
    whole movie, etc -- was what justified my home theater investment in the
    first place.
    Skid, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Many years ago, probably 1974, I saw a Bond movie in a theater that
    mixed the stereo channels up.

    Normally this wouldn't have been such an issue, if it hadn't been for the
    opening scene, where only a white wall covered the entire screen, and
    you could heard James Bonds foot steps coming from one edge of the
    screen, and suddently he entered the screen in the other ;-)

    Thomas
    Thomas Tornblom, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Josh <> wrote:
    > >I worked at a theater for a year
    > >and now that I don't work there anymore I see all this shit as a patron that
    > >pisses me off.

    > Like off-topic articles, you mean?
    >
    > Your rant has nothing to do with DVDs that I can see.

    I thought the rant was going to be about how "we're not going to
    take it now that we can watch these movies at home on DVD".

    Michael
    Michael Black, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Josh

    Bill Guest

    Re: To A Movie Theater Employee...

    Personally, I'd like to have the freedom to sit through at least some, if
    not all, of the closing credits. Most theaters I've attended in recent years
    turn up the lights shortly after credits begin to roll, and employees swarm
    into the theater to clean up. If I ran a theater, it would stay darkened
    until the final moment, and a cleanup crew would not set foot into that
    auditorium until the projection equipment was turned off.

    My other pet peeve would be the extreme # of trailers/ads that precede a
    feature these days. In true Monty Python fashion, I often find myself
    wanting to stand up and scream, "GET ON WITH IT!"

    Poor focus/framing/audio problems are huge complaints with me as well. And,
    when I went to see Star Wars Episode 1 during opening week several years
    back, there were several visible splices/missing frames--and these were not
    "end of reel" splices. To this day, I can't help but wonder if those missing
    frames ended up on Ebay.

    Even on a 27" TV, I much prefer DVDs to a theater...and the concession
    breaks are much cheaper as well. : )

    Bill, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Josh

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: To A Movie Theater Employee...

    In article <OWhlb.11452$>,
    Bill <> wrote:

    > Even on a 27" TV, I much prefer DVDs to a theater...and the concession
    > breaks are much cheaper as well. : )

    Plus you can hit "pause" and not miss anything. Besides, not having to
    deal with a bunch of young neanderthals (employees AND patrons) is
    reason enough to stay home.
    Max Volume, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Josh

    Peter Guest

    I could also rant and rant too. I used to go to the theater about once
    or twice a week when I was in Grade 10 (about 13 yrs ago) today, I go
    about 2-5 times a year.

    Other then the ridiculous prices of the mega cinema's and the closing of
    the smaller decent ones...

    When I was a kid watching Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters etc.
    There was ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS an usher in each theatre. If you
    ever showed up late or had to go to the bathroom, they'd check your
    ticket stub on entering back in the theatre. They would escort you to
    your seat, with flashlight if necessary, or help you find a seat (if it
    was packed). They stayed in the theatre and made sure that any excessive
    talkers, or theatre Hoppers were caught and dealt with.
    This just isn't even the case these days. I knew someone who worked for
    a theatre in Ottawa. She said that they'd have 2 people watching like 8
    theatres, they're pop in for a few minutes and leave.

    Cell Phones and Pagers should be banned from the theatre. I have a
    phone, and have had a pager. First thing I do upon entering the theatre
    building (this is before buying a ticket) is turn the phone off. I don't
    want calls while i'm enjoying a movie, and I sure as hell don't want to
    be the dick to piss everyone off when the cell phone rings.
    Now the Uber-dick is the guy who needs to play with his phone during the
    movie. Like he has to brag to the 50 people around him (Via a large
    green glow in the middle of pure darkness) that "hey, I got a phone. See
    See!!!" This also goes for PDA's and such.

    Next is the jerk behind me kicking my chair. I'm 6'3. My knees come
    close to the chair in front of me, I can manage crossing my legs, and
    shifting my weight without kicking the guy in front of me like some sort
    of hyperactive 4 year old. So why does the guy behind me need to do this
    constantly. Does he not realise that DUH, someone is sitting there.
    This goes for the jerks who think that the seat in front of them is a
    foot rest. It's not, take your smelly ass sneakers down away from my face.

    What REALLY pissed me off was what happened when I went to see spiderman
    and Monsters inc.

    At Monsters Inc. it was opening weekend, I got there early to get fairly
    good seats. Upon arriving at the theatre, I stood against the wall,
    where I assumed a line up would be, however there was no rope barriers.
    Employees constantly walked buy as a crowd started to gather with no
    order. Some where here, some where there, some standing right in the
    middle of the aisle, blocking the employees from their jobs.
    Finally one lady comes and puts up ONE single rope barrier, well, this
    does absolutely nothing, when the doors opened for us to go in, everyone
    swarmed. It was potentially dangerous.

    Now at spiderman it was the exactly same thing, except many more people,
    and the fact that 2 seperate managers and about 7 cleaning staff all
    walked in and out of the theatre before letting the swelling crowd crush
    it's way in was ridiculous. I wrote an e-mail to the theatre explaining
    my concern and how Badly it was run, especially with managers in the
    area at the time, and not caring about the amount of people.
    I got an apology back, saying that they would speak with the theatre in
    question, and I recieved two free movie passes...

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,
    Peter, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Josh

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, Michael Black <> wrote:
    >Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> In article <> in
    >> alt.video.dvd, Josh <> wrote:
    >> >I worked at a theater for a year
    >> >and now that I don't work there anymore I see all this shit as a patron that
    >> >pisses me off.

    >> Like off-topic articles, you mean?
    >>
    >> Your rant has nothing to do with DVDs that I can see.

    >I thought the rant was going to be about how "we're not going to
    >take it now that we can watch these movies at home on DVD".

    I confess I only skimmed, but I didn't see anything like that there.

    Anyway, that dog won't hunt. Let's start a thread about abortion,
    and then just have a one-liner about how watching DVDs is a lot less
    trouble.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Oct 22, 2003
  11. they will never make a DVD that looks as good as a projected film print. I
    saw Matrix Reloaded in IMAX. Seeing it again on DVD even on a 32" Sony was a
    letdown.
    SanDiegoFunkDaddy, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Josh

    Richard C. Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    : Personally, I'd like to have the freedom to sit through at least some, if
    : not all, of the closing credits. Most theaters I've attended in recent years
    : turn up the lights shortly after credits begin to roll, and employees swarm
    : into the theater to clean up. If I ran a theater, it would stay darkened
    : until the final moment, and a cleanup crew would not set foot into that
    : auditorium until the projection equipment was turned off.
    :
    Having watched EVERY movie that I have viewed all the way to the end, I can state one
    fact:

    Most viewers have missed many an interesting "tidbit" at the end of the
    Richard C., Oct 23, 2003