OT: Thursday Lusers

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Briscobar, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Briscobar

    Briscobar Guest

    This one just happened, not 2 minutes ago...
    We have a little issue with printing PO forms when the vendor has a NULL
    value for AddressLine2 in the Vendor Address table. So, when a new vendor is
    entered, every AddressLine must be "touched". That is, a blank space, or
    even just hitting enter through the lines solves the problem.

    So, our resident d00fus, who's across the hall from me, prints a PO on the
    printer in my office, to have my boss proof it before it gets issued. Fine.
    But it prints blank. Now, she's been printing POs for years, and we've had
    this problem for almost 3 years now with our current system. But still,
    every time a new vendor is entered, we go through this.

    "Corinne, the PO is blank. Did you update the vendor's address?"
    "Uh..."
    "Go to the Vendor."
    "Uh."
    "The Vendor. Open up the vendor."
    "You mean the Purchase Order?"
    "No. The vendor itself. Click on A/P, then Maintain Vendors. Then enter in
    the vendor number."
    "So, the Vendor Address?"
    "Yes!"
    "It won't let me change the address."
    ....I get up to look at it...
    "No, that's still the Purchase Order screen. You didn't go into the vendor
    screen. Do that now."
    "Uh."
    .....I grab the mouse....
    "There, see that? Click here to get to Accounts Payable. Then click Maintain
    Vendor. Now, what's the Vendor number?"
    "0000014534."
    "What? That's the PO number, isn't it?"
    "Yeah."
    "No, what is the Vendor number. The people we're buying the books
    from....who are they?"
    "Oh, oh. 2134."
    "Alright, now type that number in there. Then go to the address portion of
    the screen. And...wait, you've been doing this for years now, how come you
    don't know how to do this?"
    "I've never done this before."
    ....so I finish showing her how to do it, and I go back to my (our) boss and
    ask her why she doesn't know how to do this.

    And my boss tells me that she's gone through the same thing with Corinne at
    least 5 times, but she keeps forgetting to do it because she doesn't have to
    do it every single day! This lady has no idea what she does, she just does
    her job by rote. Muscle memory, nothing more. She has no idea what effect
    she has on the company, what her role is, or what her job means, as far as
    the company is concerned. She just enters items, scans book covers, and
    enters POs. Doesn't know, and doesn't care, what that actually *means*. So
    she doesn't bother to, or simply can't, remember a couple simple steps that
    she's been shown at least 6 times now. 6. Times. To click the mouse, oh, 5
    times, tops.

    I don't have much experience in offices - this is the only office job I've
    held - but I can't imagine any other place having the density of lusers that
    this place has.
    And by that, I mean that the lusers are both dense and densely packed.

    FURRFU! Glad tomorrow's Friday...

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    nerd32768 needs your business. Visit www.mcngp.com today.

    Briscobar, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Briscobar

    MitchS Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message

    > I don't have much experience in offices - this is the only office job I've
    > held - but I can't imagine any other place having the density of lusers
    > that
    > this place has.

    If it's any consolation, I work with a pretty dense distribution of them
    myself. And this is at a bank no less where you would assume the people
    handling this much money would have a clue. Their favorite response when I
    ask why they don't get it: "
    "*Chuckle,* That's just job security for you I guess." As if running a
    consistent network isn't job security.
    --
    Mitch "PC LOADLETTER" S.
    MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA

    MitchS, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Briscobar

    CBIC Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    but I can't imagine any other place having the density of
    > lusers that this place has.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Don't even get me started on this place. "Can you
    put my out of office reply on my email for me." I can't wait to get my MCSE
    and quit this job. Oh and by the way You're Welcome.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38

    CBIC, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Up until about 3 months ago I worked for a very large government department.
    I'm amazed that half the people there dont forget to breath when
    concentrating really hard. Since working there I have found I can tolerate
    any level of stupidity now. Genuine idiots look talented next to some of the
    people I met there.
    --
    BB
    ----------------

    =?Utf-8?B?NHg0aXNsaWZl?=, Sep 15, 2005
  5. Briscobar

    Vincent Lape Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    Dont feel all that bad. The people i work with should be wearing helmets and
    working in a padded environment. It seems every conversation i have with
    them lowers my IQ. Sadly, most of these people are MD's and PHD's.

    I now understand the true feelings of an old BOFH.
    Vinny Lape

    Vincent Lape, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Briscobar

    Rob Lindman Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Stupidity.

    Rob Lindman, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Briscobar

    Rob Lindman Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    "Vincent Lape" <> wrote in message
    > Dont feel all that bad. The people i work with should be wearing helmets
    > and working in a padded environment. It seems every conversation i have
    > with them lowers my IQ. Sadly, most of these people are MD's and PHD's.

    If they are really stupid, you should be able to convince them to ACTUALLY
    wear helmets and work in a padded environment.

    If you are devious enough and smart enough, it probably wouldn't be too
    tough, and... It could be fun! Interested?

    Here's how you do it...

    First, there's this tinfoil brainwave cap phooeynomena. Someone around here
    has the link. It's a conspiracy, and you'd need to know about it thoroughly.

    Next, tell them about it, subtly and indirectly. Slide some propaganda
    documents into the medical files. Allow a little alien conspiracy spam to
    get into the office emails. This will introduce them to the concept. Next,
    change a few lightbulbs with blacklights, then replace them when people
    freak out and go get the janitor. This will make people think they are
    experiencing mind control effects. Play NPR throughout the building instead
    of the tranquil office music. Invite them, one by one, to see a few creepy
    movies about mind control. That might scare them enough to wear tinfoil
    helmets immediately.

    Get some linoleum or tiles, whatever your office floors are. Each night,
    after everyone goes home, add a new layer to the floor. As the flooring gets
    higher, people will start hitting their heads on the ceiling.

    If that doesn't work, you're going to have to do creative thinking to get
    the task done...

    If you are responsible for the computers in their office, you have a lot of
    options.

    If you work for the government and have the smarts, you could simply turn
    the computers at work into mind control machines. Control their brains until
    they start wearing their helmets willingly like docile controlled subjects.
    At that point you should have no trouble programming them to add the padding
    to the walls.

    Now, all of those options require a lot of work and a lot of brain time. You
    might not be sophisticated enough to wage psychological warfare or invent
    mind control. I don't know anyone that is, but it's possible that they are
    controlling my mind to mask their true identities, and that I've been unable
    to thwart their efforts at psychological warfare.

    So there's a second, cruder option, which may work on a lower level.

    Wax the floors or eat a lot of bananas and leave the peels lying around.
    People will slip and fall. This will lend credibility to your argument that
    the cells... er, walls... need to be padded.

    Contact the city building inspectors and inform them that there could be
    code violations in the old delapidated office. The office will need to pay
    fines, and repairs will need to be made. In the process, a few of your
    coworkers could get bonked in the head. Bingo! Now there's a need to wear
    helmets.

    If all of that sounds too devious and requires too much effort for you,
    because it certainly sounds too devious and also sounds like a lot of work
    to me, you could consider the following...

    My theory about these people is that they aren't necessarily stupid.
    Computers are just alien technology to them. Perhaps as alien to them as
    molecular biochemistry could be to you, or the fact that people actually
    like music by Michael Bolton is to me.

    When you tell them to click OK, it doesn't register because they don't
    totally grasp the relationship between the mouse pointer and the mouse. They
    don't think they are clicking OK. They think you are telling them to invent
    time travel. And they aren't equipped for that.

    But they probably know more about making a good bundt cake, household
    decorating, stuffing envelopes, and keeping a good paper filing system
    online in case the computers go down than you or I ever will. Well, I sure
    as hell am not going to make a bundt cake and start decorating.

    So, if mind control, helmets, and padded walls, deviousness, and all
    fails... do the right thing. Be patient, accept it, and let it go. But don't
    forget to pee on the door to their car when no one is looking.

    MCSB MCNGP #46 MCNGP.COM WE'RE HERE TO HELP -- WITH YOUR MIND CONTROL
    SOFTWARE

    Rob Lindman, Sep 16, 2005
  8. Briscobar

    LnkWizard Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message

    <snipped for brevity, plus I don't want to invoke Catwalker's ire, she has
    a shotgun and isn't afraid to use it.>

    > I don't have much experience in offices - this is the only office job I've
    > held - but I can't imagine any other place having the density of lusers

    that
    > this place has.
    > And by that, I mean that the lusers are both dense and densely packed.
    >
    > FURRFU! Glad tomorrow's Friday...
    >
    > --
    > KB
    >
    > MCNGP #26
    > nerd32768 needs your business. Visit www.mcngp.com today.

    I may have you beat, we have 450+ users here and I go through
    that all the time. Especially with the engineers. I think I have about
    5 users who have a clue.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com

    LnkWizard, Sep 16, 2005
  9. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?B?NHg0aXNsaWZl?= <>
    say in news::

    > Since working there I have found I can tolerate
    > any level of stupidity now.

    then you are perfectly suited for help desk

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Patience: A virtue that carries a lot of wait.

    Neil, Sep 16, 2005
  10. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    did you hear "Rob Lindman" <@> say in

    > First, there's this tinfoil brainwave cap phooeynomena. Someone around
    > here has the link. It's a conspiracy, and you'd need to know about it
    > thoroughly.

    your choice:

    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

    or

    http://www.stopabductions.com/

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - User - a technical term used by computer pros. See idiot.

    Neil, Sep 16, 2005
  11. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in

> [...]
    > Corinne at least 5 times, but she keeps forgetting to do it because
    > she doesn't have to do it every single day! This lady has no idea what
    > she does, she just does her job by rote. Muscle memory, nothing more.
    > She has no idea what effect she has on the company, what her role is,
    > or what her job means, as far as the company is concerned. She just
    > enters items, scans book covers, and enters POs. Doesn't know, and
    > doesn't care, what that actually *means*. So she doesn't bother to, or
    > simply can't, remember a couple simple steps that she's been shown at
    > least 6 times now. 6. Times. To click the mouse, oh, 5 times, tops.
    >
    > I don't have much experience in offices - this is the only office job
    > I've held - but I can't imagine any other place having the density of
    > lusers that this place has.
    > And by that, I mean that the lusers are both dense and densely packed.

    leave this on her desk:

    http://www.phule.net/mirrors/unskilled-and-unaware.html

    and if she has difficulty reading that offer this website:

    http://www.literacycenter.net/lessonview_en.htm#

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - It is better to Burn Out, than to Fade Away...

    Neil, Sep 16, 2005
  12. Briscobar

    Briscobar Guest

    Briscobar, Sep 16, 2005
  13. Briscobar

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Briscobar spewed across the ether:

    > And by that, I mean that the lusers are both dense and densely packed.
    >
    > FURRFU! Glad tomorrow's Friday...

    Oh, indeed.

    ME: "I.T. This is JaR"

    L: "My printer won't work, I need it ASAP!"

    ME: "Is it out of toner?"

    L: "I'm pretty sure that's not it. It just won't print!"

    ME: "Did you check the toner?"

    L: "YES! I told you, I'm pretty sure it's something else."

    ME: "'Kay, I'll be up in a little while."

    L: "Hurry, 'cause I need the printer to neep neep neep..."

    20 minute drive to $Store later...

    L: "See! There's a little light flashing on the top and it won't print!"

    ME: "You mean the little flashing light that's shaped like an ink drop?"

    Grrrrrr....

    Not only is it Friday, but one week vacation starts in 6 hrs, 33 mins,
    not that I'm counting.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Sep 16, 2005
  14. Briscobar

    MitchS Guest

    Do you have any means of remote printer administration? When I run in to
    that problem I'll remotely check the operator panel and supplies menu.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA

    MitchS, Sep 16, 2005
  15. Re: Thursday Lusers

    We still get "My Microsoft isn't working"

    Bill McPherson, Sep 16, 2005
  16. Briscobar

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, MitchS spewed across the ether:

    > Do you have any means of remote printer administration? When I run in
    > to that problem I'll remotely check the operator panel and supplies
    > menu.

    Some yes, some no. A lot of the printers, like the one above are just
    cheap-james inkjets plugged into the local host.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Sep 16, 2005
  17. Briscobar

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    Bill McPherson <> rambled:

    > We still get "My Microsoft isn't working"

    Oh yeah, I get that too. "Your Microsoft what isn't working? You mean you
    can't turn on your computer or you can't type a letter or you can't send an
    email?" Then, trying to explain the difference between Windows and
    Office...I've actually given up on that.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    www.mcngp.com is best for all new updates than

    Briscobar, Sep 16, 2005
  18. Briscobar

    Jim Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    I just say, "Yeah we have been having problems with our Microsoft today,
    what exactly are you trying to do?" Easier than attempting to explain to
    them why they are morons.

    Jim, Sep 16, 2005
  19. Briscobar

    JaR Guest

    Re: Thursday Lusers

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Briscobar spewed across the ether:

    > Oh yeah, I get that too. "Your Microsoft what isn't working? You mean
    > you can't turn on your computer or you can't type a letter or you
    > can't send an email?" Then, trying to explain the difference between
    > Windows and Office...I've actually given up on that.

    I recently had on of my little darlings lock up her 98 box. I told her to
    hard boot, but she said that it didn't work, everything stayed just the
    same. I finally went over to see what the problem was, and discovered that
    she was switching the monitor off and on.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Sep 16, 2005
  20. Briscobar

    m0rk Guest

    Good to hear that the UK is not the only country employing lusers.
    I work for the UK gov.

    nanu nanu,
    m0rk

    m0rk, Sep 16, 2005