OT- They all died in Vain-OT

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Leythos, May 28, 2007.

  1. Leythos

    Leythos Guest

    Leythos, May 28, 2007

  2. Leythos

    Frosty Guest

    Celebrating the Rule of Force, Not Freedom
    by William L. Anderson

    One often can write news stories by the calendar, and today is not an
    exception. This is Memorial Day, and we are going to hear the rhetoric
    about honoring those who "died fighting for our freedom." Indeed,
    Americans might be honoring the dead from U.S. wars, but in no case
    did any of those dead whom we memorialize today die for "our freedom."
    They died, instead, because our political classes pointedly understand
    that promoting war is good for them.

    I realize this is a statement that will bring anger. Those people who
    have lost loved ones in one of many U.S. conflicts will be angry
    because my statement insinuates that these mostly-young people died
    for a Big Lie. Others who have not been directly touched by one of our
    many wars simply want to believe that the United States of America is
    a shining beacon of freedom, and we need to protect that freedom from
    those who would take it away.

    One wishes it were that simple. Yes, the rhetoric is powerful, and the
    snapshots of Americans at the graves of the fallen present vivid
    images of what it means to suffer loss, and no one wants to believe
    that a loss was in vain. Humans yearn for purpose, and it should not
    surprise us that people would seek purpose in the deaths of comrades
    and loved ones.

    No doubt, there will be speech after speech by people declaring that
    these losses were tragic, but necessary, as the U.S Armed Forces are
    the last line of defense against those who would take away our beloved
    freedoms. That is the biggest lie of all. Forces from outside this
    country do not threaten our freedom, but forces inside do.

    Let us begin with the small things and work to the larger issues. Many
    of us will be traveling on the highways, and the Memorial Day Weekend
    always brings out that show of force from state troopers. We can
    expect to see many motorists having their weekends ruined because they
    drove a few miles above the speed limit, or state troopers or local
    police are looking for a "big score" in finding drugs inside a
    vehicle.

    I am not sure about the readers, but I cannot say I ever have felt
    "protected" by the presence of state police on the highway. They do
    not exist to "protect" us; they are there because Memorial Day Weekend
    is a big revenue time for the various agencies that receive money from
    fines. In other words, it is a grand time for the police to be shaking
    down individual drivers.

    In Maryland, state police are trained from the beginning to regard
    motorists as scum. One friend of mine, a local police officer, was
    recruited by the state police, and the recruiter made this statement:
    "Why work on the farm when you can own it." Indeed, these officers are
    taught that the rest of us who do not wear the uniform of the Maryland
    State Police are simply servants on their plantation, and they treat
    us as such.

    We look next at the court systems. For the past year, I have been part
    of a fight against the State of North Carolina, which falsely accused
    three Duke University students of rape, kidnapping, and sexual
    assault. From the beginning, everyone knew the charges were lies, but
    agents representing the state pushed forward not because they had
    truth on their side, but because they could do it. Michael Nifong and
    the Durham police did this because they had the power to do it.

    When one realizes that Nifong really is not an outlier but rather an
    integral part of the system, the entire picture is better focused.
    There is a reason that the United States of America has more than two
    million individuals in prison. This country is the world leader in
    that department, with both the highest number of prisoners and the
    highest per capita incarceration rate.

    To put it another way, those foreigners whom we so greatly fear are
    not as adept at taking away the freedoms of their citizens as the
    various governments in this country are at taking the freedoms of
    people living here. That is a most sobering thought. One of the
    fastest growth industries in the USA is prison construction which also
    is the case in American-ruled Iraq.

    For travelers going through airports, one constantly is reminded that
    the Transportation Security Administration inspectors are to be obeyed
    absolutely, for even a disapproving glance can result in the charge of
    "Interfering with the Duties of a Federal Officer," with the penalties
    for such an offense being up to 20 years in federal prison. It seems
    that government officials are a greater threat to the freedom of air
    travelers than anyone from al-Qaeda.

    Representatives of government regularly threaten the lives and
    freedoms of people whose only offense either is sitting in ones home
    (the threat of no-knock raids being quite real) or doing ones job. I
    have sitting on my desk the details of indictments brought by federal
    officials against a young man with a wife and young children for
    pursuing normal activities in his job as an electricity trader. The
    government-inflicted electricity crisis in California and the
    implosion of Enron made traders enticing targets by ambitious federal
    prosecutors, so the feds seek to destroy families and take away
    individual freedoms just so they can satisfy the political classes.

    Then there is the military culture itself. Many military veterans
    receive preferential hiring treatment from "law enforcement" and other
    government entities. The "always obey orders" mentality means that
    they not trained in making moral choices, but instead are the
    well-trained enforcers of the political classes and most of them
    relish being in a role in which they can tell others to obey or face
    arrest or even death.

    There also exists this knotty problem of the U.S. Government imposing
    the will of members of this countrys political classes upon people in
    other countries. The people of Iraq knew full well what that means, as
    do people in Serbia and elsewhere one might see U.S. soldiers in
    uniform. The U.S. political classes hold that U.S. law spans the
    globe, and anyone who harms or might even seek to harm a U.S. agent no
    matter where that agent might be is violating U.S. law and can be
    tried and punished in this country. One does not have to think very
    hard to realize the ramifications of that policy.

    In the process of imposing the will of the U.S. political classes
    around the world, individuals die. Young people have fallen in Iraq
    and elsewhere, and we remember the hundreds of thousands who have died
    in other conflicts. It is a sad and solemn thing to see these dead
    memorialized, but it makes me even sadder when I realize that most, if
    not all, of these deaths were unnecessary to protect our own freedoms.

    If anything, the aggressive U.S. foreign policy that has existed since
    the end of World War II threatens our freedoms more than any foreign
    government. As people around the world fight back, our own political
    classes respond by taking away our rights and freedoms one-by-one, all
    in the name of "protecting freedom."

    I know these are harsh words, and they sting even more for the people
    who have lost loved ones in wars overseas. My point is neither to
    denigrate them nor to criticize those who memorialize them. Instead, I
    would ask the simple question: Which American freedoms are the
    soldiers protecting?

    Then, I would ask one more question: What are the freedoms we have
    lost? Readers of this page know the answers to both questions.

    Although I have pointed this column at the use of American military
    personnel around the globe, I also need to make another point: many of
    the politicians who now decry the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan want to
    make war on the rest of us. Listen to the rhetoric of people like
    Hillary Clinton, Dennis Kucinich, and John Edwards as they both attack
    the war and attack productive people in this country. The fervor is
    the same. Productive Americans are portrayed as being as great an
    enemy as Osama bin Laden.

    (I add that Ron Paul is the only U.S. Presidential candidate who is
    campaigning for freedom. The others just want to take the same force
    this country uses against other people and use it against Americans
    who do not obey every dictum of the state.)

    We hear them say we must "make war on dependence upon foreign oil," or
    a "war against Big Oil," or a "New War on Poverty." The rhetoric
    always is the same: war on someone.

    So, by all means memorialize our war dead. But while we memorialize
    them, let us not glorify the wars that placed them in those graves,
    and let us not glorify the rhetoric that glories in the destruction of
    freedom while at the same time claiming to be "protecting" our
    liberties.
    May 28, 2007
    William L. Anderson, Ph.D. [], teaches economics at
    Frostburg State University in Maryland, and is an adjunct scholar of
    the Ludwig von Mises Institute. <http://www.mises.org/>

    Copyright 2007 LewRockwell.com
    William Anderson Archives
    <http://www.lewrockwell.com/anderson/anderson-arch.html>
    Frosty, May 28, 2007

  3. Who is coming for him, the WH justice department goons?
    Seamus J. Wilson

    Seamus J. Wilson, May 28, 2007
  4. Leythos

    Guest

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XbJ1zEgR7g8

    --
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,
  5. Leythos

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 10:24:09 -0700, Pennywise wrote:

    > "Seamus J. Wilson" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Leythos" <> wrote in message

    >>> When they come for you I will be sure to not stop them.

    >>Who is coming for him, the WH justice department goons?

    > http://youtube.com/watch?v=XbJ1zEgR7g8

    Never thought anyone would ever cover THAT song. As I recall it was a hit
    for Napoleon XIV in about 1965. The 'B' side of the (vinyl 45rpm) record
    was merely the 'A' side played backwards. Even the label on the reverse
    side was a mirror image of that on the obverse side of the disc.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_XIV

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    the other English teams put together :)
    Aardvark, May 29, 2007
  6. Leythos

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 10:36:41 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Leythos
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    >On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:30:05 -0500, Frosty wrote:
    >>
    >> I realize this is a statement that will bring anger.

    >When they come for you I will be sure to not stop them.

    Who? The people who have lost loved ones? The sheeple who cower at the
    idea that someone somewhere might believe that the United States of
    America isn't the great bastion of freedom her sheeple have been
    brainwashed to believe it is?
    They aren't *coming for me*. They aren't lifting a finger to fight
    anyone. Hell, they don't have the initiative to pick up a history book
    to learn what the USA is all about, but would rather just get their
    "facts" from TEEVEE.

    Hey, what chance does a returning deceased war veteran have for that
    good-paying job, more sugar, and the free mule you've been dreaming
    of? Well, think it over. Then take off your shoes. Now you can see how
    increased spending opportunities mean harder work for everyone, and
    more of it, too! So do your part today, Joe. Join with millions of
    your neighbors and turn in your shoes!
    For Industry!
    Frosty, May 29, 2007
  7. Leythos

    Sorry for being a Veteran

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    just two-cents,

    Your view of dangerous US military policy is right. When I was in the US Army, I used to patrol the Berlin Wall. Something that most people don't realize is that the Wall was not built on the border, but actually up to 8 feet within East German territory. When patrolling the Wall, we drove our Humvees right up against the Wall (think we'd let Mexico try that if we built the proposed Wall 8 feet back from the US-Mexico border?). Our standing orders for engagement were to return fire (shoot back, to kill) anyone who fired a bullet over the Wall - regardless if the rounds hit anyone.
    Sorry for being a Veteran, Jun 1, 2007