OT: The next Netscape

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. I don't know if this is OT or not, but I've heard that Netscape aren't
    going to continue it after version 7.1 (Mozilla 1.4).
    Is this true and if not are they likely to release a new version when
    Mozilla 1.5 final comes put (probably this week, as someone on this
    newsgroup said).

    Cheers,
    Anton
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 5, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Anton G├┐sen wrote:

    > I don't know if this is OT or not, but I've heard that Netscape aren't
    > going to continue it after version 7.1 (Mozilla 1.4).
    > Is this true and if not are they likely to release a new version when
    > Mozilla 1.5 final comes put (probably this week, as someone on this
    > newsgroup said).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Anton
    >


    There will be no new versions of Netscape as we know it. TW has pulled
    the plug on new decelopment. There may. possibly, be a 7.1.1 based on
    1.4.1 when it comes out, but probably not, unless there are major
    security issues.

    Any new NS versions would depend on some company taking over the NS name
    and reinstituting development. Many rumors, all, so far as I know, just
    speculation.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 5, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    > There will be no new versions of Netscape as we know it. TW has pulled
    > the plug on new decelopment. There may. possibly, be a 7.1.1 based on
    > 1.4.1 when it comes out, but probably not, unless there are major
    > security issues.
    >
    > Any new NS versions would depend on some company taking over the NS name
    > and reinstituting development. Many rumors, all, so far as I know, just
    > speculation.
    >


    I don't see why people want Netscape to continue, anyway. Netscape has
    a very bad public reputation and it was always behind Mozilla. Mozilla
    is great, Beonex comes with plug-ins, K-Meleon, Galeon, Camino, etc. are
    lightweight, etc. There's no real need for Netscape for anything other
    than being a well-known product.

    Long live Gecko! Die, Trident! Die!
    Keith Bowes, Oct 6, 2003
    #3
  4. Keith Bowes wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> There will be no new versions of Netscape as we know it. TW has
    >> pulled the plug on new decelopment. There may. possibly, be a 7.1.1
    >> based on 1.4.1 when it comes out, but probably not, unless there are
    >> major security issues.
    >>
    >> Any new NS versions would depend on some company taking over the NS
    >> name and reinstituting development. Many rumors, all, so far as I
    >> know, just speculation.
    >>

    >
    > I don't see why people want Netscape to continue, anyway. Netscape has
    > a very bad public reputation and it was always behind Mozilla. Mozilla
    > is great, Beonex comes with plug-ins, K-Meleon, Galeon, Camino, etc. are
    > lightweight, etc. There's no real need for Netscape for anything other
    > than being a well-known product.
    >
    > Long live Gecko! Die, Trident! Die!


    Yeah, that's what I thought. I've been scared to go over to Mozilla from
    Netscape, but I've promised myself I will when 1.5 comes out. Although
    if someone did take over Netscape and carry on making it, I'd probably
    use that, don't ask me why!

    Anton
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Oct 6, 2003
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Skid Schermerhorn

    Netscape 7.1 to Netscape 8

    Skid Schermerhorn, Sep 5, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    453
    Skid Schermerhorn
    Sep 5, 2005
  2. A. Toprak

    Accessing Netscape mail via Netscape mail client

    A. Toprak, Dec 24, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    576
    A. Toprak
    Dec 24, 2004
  3. Mark Adams
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,092
    Mark Adams
    Mar 14, 2005
  4. Robert Baer

    NetScape 7.2 VS Netscape 8.0?

    Robert Baer, Apr 6, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    320
    WebWalker
    Apr 7, 2005
  5. Alan Browne

    Next (the other next) Gen "DVD" storage

    Alan Browne, May 27, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    482
    Iain Laskey
    May 31, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page