OT: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by The Rev [MCT], May 27, 2005.

  1. A friend of mine got an interview for a contract in-house support position.
    It has the option for growth into AD Administration from the get-go which is
    why he accepted the position. He needs the experience, but that's not what
    this post is about. I felt the need to share some of the things he said post
    interview to the staffing agency contracting the position.

    He arrived on site to find another guy waiting to interview. He looked over
    to my friend and said. "Don't worry they have to positions."

    My friend, we'll call him Bob went in to the interview. now Bob is an
    intelligent person, he is certified and he has valid AD experience, so he's
    calm, collected and ready. His interviewer asked him why all of his
    experience was 2500 miles away and now all of the sudden he's moved here. He
    replied, "Well my ex-wife moved here and I wanted to make sure I was close
    to my daughter." They told him this was a noble thing he did, so he replies,
    "Yes, and I'll be sure to throw that in your faces later."

    That's only the beginning. Later he mentioned he wanted flexibility to look
    for another job, as this was a contract and he really wants to find
    permanent employment. They advised Bob he'd need to give a day's notice
    before skipping work to find another job.

    It gets better. so Bob nails the interview and the XYZ Company hires him on
    the spot. now he reports back to the staffing agency to find out just how
    little he will be paid. He walks up to the secretary and says, "I think I'll
    need about $17.00 USD per hour for this job." She said, "well it's $15.00
    per hour because that's what we are paying the other guy. " he replies,
    "What the hell does that have to do with me?" She tells him it wouldn't be
    fair to pay each person differently, so he asks her for the guys phone
    number so he can call him and they'd both as for $17.00. She then tells him,
    "Well this is a Non-Profit Organization and they are limited on their pay.
    You understand don't you?" With a quick witted reply he says, "Well my
    apartment complex is a for profit organization and I don't think they'd
    understand."

    Needless to say he didn't get the $17.00 per hour, instead he got $15.00 but
    he still got hired and was given the flexibility to find another job on a
    moments notice. They only ask that when he does quit that he lets them know
    the day before if possible.

    I thought this was pretty funny. Goes to show how much the interview is
    based on personality and hitting it off with the interviewer. Oh and how he
    got this interview. My patented Resume format. :)
    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 27, 2005

  2. The Rev [MCT]

    Guest Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    "The Rev [MCT]" <> wrote in message
    > I thought this was pretty funny. Goes to show how much the interview is
    > based on personality and hitting it off with the interviewer. Oh and how
    > he got this interview. My patented Resume format. :)
    > --
    > "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    "The Rev",

    I found the story amusing in an esoteric sort of way. Echos some recent
    experience with a local non-profit organization. The 'fairness' principle
    strikes me as semi-communist.

    Anyway, my {real} point... As an individual presently intent on reworking my
    resume (in a quasi-casual side process), I wonder if I might inquire as to
    what particular features make your resume format worthy of a patent? Not
    looking to infringe or anything [if it's not Scottish it's crap], but I'd
    most definately appreciate any tips you could offer [to men who look like
    Kenny Rogers](, noting that I'll probably disregard anything that makes
    sense and disagree on unimportant points)[, much to your chagrin]. [I'm
    doing a great job of selling you on helping me, aren't I?]

    My reason for asking... I've NEVER gotten a job based on my resume before
    <!-- insert plant pun here -->, all of my job experience comes from sheer
    [dumb] luck and meeting people, but I'm at a point now where the concept of
    marketing myself {to the void} becomes more viable and I would like insight
    from someone with {er, um, yeah --} insight.

    Incidentally, you can find my resume at the website address {I've been
    prostituting at the bottom of my [largely irrelevant] posts,}
    http://www.roblindman.com/ , in the resume section (go figure). I recommend
    looking at the "Online Version". Of course it's out of date and could use
    some doctoring, and I've some packaging in mind for how to make it stand out
    that won't be apparent on the site [like anyone cares]. While you're there,
    feel free to grab some wallpaper, software, or animated characters {lousy
    cheapskates}.

    Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you may offer, I'll consider it
    helpful (even if it's completely useless and I do nothing but complain about
    it [which is all I'm good for anyway]).

    Feel free to share your comments here, or through the contact page on my
    site.

    Again, thanks for any insight you may offer [seriously].

    Microcephalic S. "/-\ $ $ |= |_| ( |< # |~" Bob

    Guest, May 27, 2005

  3. Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    Honestly... The first thing I'd do is remove the lines on the Resume. I know
    from personal experience sorting resumes I hate lines and boxes.The layout
    you chose is otherwise quite pleasant to read. It has a nice flow and is
    easy to follow.

    Also I don't see any real reason for an objective and a profile. Here is a
    secret. Sell yourself in the objective. I know every other resume tip place
    tells you not to. But....Anyone in charge of hiring is not going to add you
    to the interview list if your objective sucks, because the only thing they
    typically read to deicide if you make it to the second stack is your
    objective. With that no need to it and a profile and the white space (using
    separate paragraphs) is a had idea. I know grammar school told you
    different...but an objective is a run-on sentence.

    Here is an example of an objective: (This one happens to be one of mine)
    I have several years experience in corporate training, in addition to IT
    Consultation and full-time Senior Network Administration, implementing and
    maintaining Microsoft Windows Networks. In the past I have supported Native
    and Mixed mode Windows Environments, multiple VPN clients, remote offices,
    operating system support for Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows XP and the
    Windows 2003 Server Family. Currently I am teaching Microsoft Official
    Curriculum Courses helping others to obtain Microsoft Certifications and
    pursue careers in the Information Technology Profession while continuing my
    consulting services. This experience combined with several industry standard
    certifications such as the CompTIA Security+ Certification, Microsoft
    Certified Systems Engineer Certification, and the Microsoft Certified
    Trainer Certification I feel I am a fully qualified for the technical
    training and consulting environments.

    Past the objective layout and space matters. I try to make sure I extend my
    margins to as much of the page as possible. This reduces it to two pages
    from three (which I can tell you now..no one reads 2 page resumes). plus it
    makes it look full. You are more then welcome to email me if you want. I'll
    send you a version of my resume where the names have been changed to protect
    the innocent so you can see what format I've chosen. But the basics are
    easy. Don't have you name so big, it's a distraction. Justify long
    paragraphs and extend your margins. Don't use lines and or boxes to separate
    your information. Use bullet points and most hiring managers have ADD
    anyway, and are not likely to read past the objective. This way they can see
    bullets of what you did. Bold your job titles and nothing else in your
    experience. This goes back to the ADD thing. They skim the résumé and see
    the word analyst they will pay more attention to you if that's what their
    looking for.

    At any rate...Good Luck on your searches...

    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..
    "<!-- Microcephalic S. Bob --> <? echo "The F-Word"; ?> <!-- Unorthodox

    The Rev [MCT], May 27, 2005
  4. The Rev [MCT]

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    What about taping a fiver to the resume with a little note that says "Just
    to keep you honest"?

    Jtyc, May 27, 2005
  5. The Rev [MCT]

    Guest Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    This is appreciated. I may take you up on your offer and send you a request
    for "The Res of The Rev" when I get more time.

    Hopefully having this out there benefits others as well.

    Thank you.

    Microcephalic S. Bob

    Guest, May 27, 2005
  6. Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    Your welcome.

    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 27, 2005
  7. Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    The Rev [MCT] wrote:
    > Your welcome.

    My welcome?

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 27, 2005
  8. The Rev [MCT]

    Neil Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    did you hear "Jtyc" <> say in

    > What about taping a fiver to the resume with a little note that says
    > "Just to keep you honest, and to show I'm remarkably cheap"?

    IFYPFY

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

    Neil, May 27, 2005
  9. The Rev [MCT]

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    > IFYPFY

    Are you saying it would take more than a five spot to bribe you? I beg to
    differ.

    Jtyc, May 27, 2005
  10. The Rev [MCT]

    Neil Guest

    > Are you saying it would take more than a five spot to bribe you? I
    > beg to differ.

    depends on what I am being asked to do. To hire you would require more than
    a fiver

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Keyboard not found... THINK F1 to continue.

    Neil, May 27, 2005
  11. The Rev [MCT]

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    > depends on what I am being asked to do. To hire you would require more
    than
    > a fiver

    A five spot and a six pack of Jolt cola?

    Jtyc, May 27, 2005
  12. The Rev [MCT]

    Neil Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    did you hear "Jtyc" <> say in news:
    #:

    >> depends on what I am being asked to do. To hire you would require more

    > than
    >> a fiver

    > A five spot and a six pack of Jolt cola?

    it's a start. your desk is over there ----->

    (next to the poop)

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.

    Neil, May 27, 2005
  13. The Rev [MCT]

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    > it's a start. your desk is over there ----->
    > (next to the poop)

    No no...

    That's my office.

    Jtyc, May 27, 2005
  14. The Rev [MCT]

    Neil Guest

    >> it's a start. your desk is over there ----->
    >> (next to the poop)

    > No no...
    >

    > That's my office.

    'swhat I said...
    (please continue to collect you paycheck as usual...after cleanin up da
    poops...ya poopsmith

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - "I dropped my toothpaste," Tom said, crestfallen.

    Neil, May 27, 2005
  15. The Rev [MCT]

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    In news:,
    Jtyc <> rambled:
    >> it's a start. your desk is over there ----->
    >> (next to the poop)

    > No no...
    >

    > That's my office.

    No, it's a workspace.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    www.mcngp.com nailed the Olsen twins before they were famous.

    Briscobar, May 27, 2005
  16. The Rev [MCT]

    Guest Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    If I'm going to throw down a $5 bill and a six pack of Jolt, I'd better own
    the deformed little pervert at the end of the contract.

    Microcephalic S. "I'd keep him in my refrigerator with the other mutants"
    Bob

    Guest, May 27, 2005
  17. The Rev [MCT]

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message
    > www.mcngp.com nailed the Olsen twins before they were famous.

    But the question is... Did MCNGP nail them to a pole?

    Microcephalic S. Bob
    http://www.roblindman.com/ - I forget why.

    Guest, May 27, 2005
  18. The Rev [MCT]

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    > No, it's a workspace.

    It's for deposits only.

    Jtyc, May 27, 2005
  19. The Rev [MCT]

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    In news:,
    <!-- Microcephalic S. Bob --> <? echo "The F-Word"; ?> <!-- Unorthodox
    Interpretation --> <!-- Microcephalic S. Bob --> rambled:
    > If I'm going to throw down a $5 bill and a six pack of Jolt, I'd
    > better own the deformed little pervert at the end of the contract.

    This one?
    http://ohio.esorn.net/ICWAgencySite.dll/OffenderDetails?OfndrID=62569

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    When a girl walks in with a itty bitty waist and a round thing in your
    face, you get www.mcngp.com.

    Briscobar, May 27, 2005
  20. The Rev [MCT]

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny

    In news:,
    <!-- Microcephalic S. Bob --> <? echo "The F-Word"; ?> <!-- Unorthodox
    Interpretation --> <!-- Microcephalic S. Bob --> rambled:
    > "Briscobar" <> wrote in message
    >> www.mcngp.com nailed the Olsen twins before they were famous.

    > But the question is... Did MCNGP nail them to a pole?

    You are the ultimate thread-jumper.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com