    why hasnt IMDB got anything on it, ive even heard there is a trailor already

    comments welcome

    dave

    Dragon, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Dragon

    Rich Clark Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    news:FVXId.205200$...
    > Ok guys heard rumours that peter jackson is filming the prequel to lord of
    > the rings in the hobbit but cannot find any findings, is it truew and if
    > so why hasnt IMDB got anything on it, ive even heard there is a trailor
    > already

    Not true. Jackson is working on King Kong. Yes, there was a lot of
    speculation about The Hobbit, but it was basically Internet chatter, nothing
    from Jackson. Apparently his next project after Kong is an adaptation of the
    novel The Lovely Bones.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Dragon

    Bratboy Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now someone else
    has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do it but that was the
    issue.

    Bratboy, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Dragon

    Lunaray Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    Someone threw together a fake Hobbit Trailer using clips from The Lord of
    the Rings, you can probably find it on one of the P2P file sharing networks.
    From what I've heard and read, there's nothing going on yet, but you can bet
    that it's just a matter of time, and whether Peter Jackson does it or
    someone else, the movie industry isn't going to turn their back on a project
    that would be a guaranteed money maker like The Hobbit, and hopefully when
    it is done, it will live up to the Peter Jackson benchmark!

    Lunaray, Jan 24, 2005
  5. Dragon

    Nick Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:59:31 -0700, "Bratboy"
    <> wrote:

    >I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now someone else
    >has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do it but that was the
    >issue.

    I can imagine little more boring than an adaptation of The Hobbit,
    without it being aimed at five year olds.

    --Nick.
    --
    - GamerTag: Hayn - icq: 9235201 -- Hayn on dal.net -
    http://www.sendit.com/scp/id/what - Want DVDs/Games?

    Nick, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Dragon

    Alpha Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:59:31 -0700, "Bratboy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now someone else
    >>has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do it but that was
    >>the
    >>issue.

    > I can imagine little more boring than an adaptation of The Hobbit,
    > without it being aimed at five year olds.
    >
    > --Nick.
    > --
    > - GamerTag: Hayn - icq: 9235201 -- Hayn on dal.net -
    > http://www.sendit.com/scp/id/what - Want DVDs/Games?

    Yes. LOTR was barely targeted above that.

    Alpha, Jan 24, 2005
  7. Dragon

    Spack Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Ok guys heard rumours that peter jackson is filming the prequel to lord of
    > the rings in the hobbit but cannot find any findings, is it truew and if
    > so why hasnt IMDB got anything on it, ive even heard there is a trailor
    > already

    There was a spoof press release posted on April 1st last year (
    http://www.thehobbitfilm.com/press_release.html ) about filming to start on
    The Hobbit this year for release in 2007. Many people missed the
    significance of the date :p

    If http://www.thehobbitfilm.com/bobshaye.html is to be believed (see above
    for a good reason why you might want to take it with a pinch of salt), then
    New Line are open to the idea, but MGM hold the distribution rights to "The
    Hobbit", making it a potential red tape mess should New Line have the rights
    to make the movie. Back in July 2004 there was an article (
    http://filmforce.ign.com/lotr/articles/531/531520p1.html?fromint=1 ) posted
    about New Line attempting to get it's parent Time Warner to buy MGM on the
    failure of it's attempted merger with Sony - but in Sept 2004 MGM announced
    ( http://www.mgm.com/corp_news_releases.do?id=415 ) that a consortium made
    up of Sony, Providence Equity Partners, Texas Pacfic Group, ComCast, and DLJ
    Merchant Banking had entered into agreement to acquire MGM, so New Line are
    again stuck without distribution rights.

    I also remember reading an article that apparently Peter Jackson had said
    that if New Line approached him to direct The Hobbit then he'd be happy to
    do it ... note I said "apparently". Can't remember where I saw this, might
    have been somewhere on TheOneRing.net.

    I'd like to see a movie version of the Hobbit in the style of the LotR
    movies. I loved the book when I was a kid, and despite the trilogy being
    "hacked up" to make the movies with bits skittering under the table and
    being left out, I really enjoyed the movies. I can't see a movie being made
    any time soon, but I hope Peter Jackson and New Line manage to sort things
    out with Sony/MGM and find a way to get it released - unlikely though, I
    believe each will want a significant portion of the profits rather than
    settle for a share.

    Dan

    Spack, Jan 24, 2005
  8. Dragon

    Andrew Prout Guest

    Dragon wrote:
    > Ok guys heard rumours that peter jackson is filming the prequel to lord of
    > the rings in the hobbit but cannot find any findings, is it truew and if so
    > why hasnt IMDB got anything on it, ive even heard there is a trailor already
    >
    > comments welcome
    >
    > dave

    Only in Fanboy fantasy land.

    Jackson's way too busy making King Kong.

    (although there are a few fake fanboy-made trailers out there if you
    look hard enough)

    Andrew Prout, Jan 24, 2005
  9. Dragon

    Nick Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:11:57 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >>>I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now someone else
    >>>has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do it but that was
    >>>the
    >>>issue.

    >> I can imagine little more boring than an adaptation of The Hobbit,
    >> without it being aimed at five year olds.

    >Yes. LOTR was barely targeted above that.

    The Hobbit is aimed at much younger peepses... it bored me...

    From Book a Minute:

    "The Hobbit"
    By J. R. R. Tolkien
    Ultra-Condensed by Samuel Stoddard and David J. Parker

    Bilbo Baggins:
    Ah, now for some peace and quiet. Oops, someone's at the door.

    Balin:
    We're dwarves. I'm the merry one.
    Dwalin:
    I'm the happy one.
    Fili:
    I'm the young one.
    Kili:
    I'm the other young one.
    Dori:
    I'm the funny one.
    Nori:
    I'm the joyous one.
    Ori:
    I'm the cute one.
    Oin:
    I'm the jolly one.
    Gloin:
    I'm the silly one.
    Bifur:
    I'm the one with the funniest name.
    Bofur:
    I'm the one with the looniest name.
    Bombur:
    I'm the fat one.
    Thorin:
    I'm the one with a distinct personality.

    Gandalf:
    Now that you're all here, let's go on a quest.

    (They get captured by TROLLS, and it is DANGEROUS, because they almost
    get EATEN. Then they get captured by ORCS, and it is DANGEROUS,
    because they almost get EATEN.)

    Bilbo Baggins:
    What have I got in my pocket?

    Gollum:
    I don't know.

    (They get captured by SPIDERS, and it is DANGEROUS, because they
    almost get EATEN.)

    Smaug:
    I'm an evil dragon. Hiss hiss.

    (Bilbo Baggins turns INVISIBLE, and then some obscure co-star SLAYS
    the dragon, and it makes a MESS.)

    Bilbo Baggins:
    I'm going home. Peace and quiet, here I come.

    THE END

    Nick, Jan 24, 2005
  10. Andrew Prout <> writes:

    > Dragon wrote:
    > > Ok guys heard rumours that peter jackson is filming the prequel to
    > > lord of the rings in the hobbit but cannot find any findings, is it
    > > truew and if so why hasnt IMDB got anything on it, ive even heard
    > > there is a trailor already
    > > comments welcome
    > > dave
    > >

    > Only in Fanboy fantasy land.
    >
    > Jackson's way too busy making King Kong.
    >
    > (although there are a few fake fanboy-made trailers out there if you
    > look hard enough)

    Do we really need a remake of a remake? Hollywood is completely out of
    ideas for movies. Between the remakes and the 60's TV shows turned to
    movies... sigh.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Jan 24, 2005
  11. Dragon

    Graham Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    In message <>
    Nick <> wrote:

    > >> I can imagine little more boring than an adaptation of The Hobbit,
    > >> without it being aimed at five year olds.

    > >Yes. LOTR was barely targeted above that.

    > The Hobbit is aimed at much younger peepses... it bored me...
    >
    > From Book a Minute:
    >
    > "The Hobbit"
    > By J. R. R. Tolkien
    > Ultra-Condensed by Samuel Stoddard and David J. Parker
    >
    > Bilbo Baggins:
    > Ah, now for some peace and quiet. Oops, someone's at the door.
    >
    > Balin:
    > We're dwarves. I'm the merry one.
    > Dwalin:
    > I'm the happy one.
    > Fili:
    > I'm the young one.
    > Kili:
    > I'm the other young one.
    > Dori:
    > I'm the funny one.
    > Nori:
    > I'm the joyous one.
    > Ori:
    > I'm the cute one.
    > Oin:
    > I'm the jolly one.
    > Gloin:
    > I'm the silly one.
    > Bifur:
    > I'm the one with the funniest name.
    > Bofur:
    > I'm the one with the looniest name.
    > Bombur:
    > I'm the fat one.
    > Thorin:
    > I'm the one with a distinct personality.
    >
    > Gandalf:
    > Now that you're all here, let's go on a quest.
    >
    > (They get captured by TROLLS, and it is DANGEROUS, because they almost
    > get EATEN. Then they get captured by ORCS, and it is DANGEROUS,
    > because they almost get EATEN.)
    >
    > Bilbo Baggins:
    > What have I got in my pocket?
    >
    > Gollum:
    > I don't know.
    >
    > (They get captured by SPIDERS, and it is DANGEROUS, because they
    > almost get EATEN.)
    >
    > Smaug:
    > I'm an evil dragon. Hiss hiss.
    >
    > (Bilbo Baggins turns INVISIBLE, and then some obscure co-star SLAYS
    > the dragon, and it makes a MESS.)
    >
    > Bilbo Baggins:
    > I'm going home. Peace and quiet, here I come.
    >
    > THE END

    Well **** me, I enjoyed that!
    Much better than a couple of hours at the cinema.
    Cheers!
    --
    Graham
    The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

    Graham, Jan 24, 2005
  12. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    "Scott Streeter" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew Prout <> writes:
    >
    >> Dragon wrote:
    >> > Ok guys heard rumours that peter jackson is filming the prequel to
    >> > lord of the rings in the hobbit but cannot find any findings, is it
    >> > truew and if so why hasnt IMDB got anything on it, ive even heard
    >> > there is a trailor already
    >> > comments welcome
    >> > dave
    >> >

    >> Only in Fanboy fantasy land.
    >>
    >> Jackson's way too busy making King Kong.
    >>
    >> (although there are a few fake fanboy-made trailers out there if you
    >> look hard enough)
    >>

    > Do we really need a remake of a remake? Hollywood is completely out of
    > ideas for movies. Between the remakes and the 60's TV shows turned to
    > movies... sigh.

    I agree another remake of king kong booooring

    Dragon, Jan 24, 2005
  13. Dragon

    Lunaray Guest

    I totally agree, King Kong has been made to death! But I guess Peter has
    won the graces of the movie gods, so he can exploit his childhood fantasies
    on a whim, whether anyone cares about seeing another King Kong or not!

    Lunaray, Jan 24, 2005
  14. > I totally agree, King Kong has been made to death! But I guess Peter has
    > won the graces of the movie gods, so he can exploit his childhood

    fantasies
    > on a whim, whether anyone cares about seeing another King Kong or not!

    Mel Brookes tells the story that after directing The Graduate, Mike Nicholls
    could have walked into the office of ANY of the Hollywood studios and
    persuaded them to fund his filming of a green awning for weeks on end.

    As you say, success on the scale of LOTR will guarantee open chequebooks for
    Jackson until he misses a step.

    Richard

    Richard Dewsbery, Jan 24, 2005
  15. Dragon

    Guest

    Scott Streeter wrote:
    > Do we really need a remake of a remake? Hollywood is completely out

    of
    > ideas for movies. Between the remakes and the 60's TV shows turned to
    > movies... sigh.

    But this is a Peter Jackson remake: it's going to be a puppet movie
    with a King Kong/Fay Wray shagging scene and at the end King Kong is
    going to climb the Empire State Building and throw fifty-pound turds at
    George Bush.

    Mark

    , Jan 24, 2005
  16. Dragon

    Bratboy Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    While I understand some think Hobbit too infantile for their tastes many of
    us actually do like ALL of Tolkens work. Its not like a live action Hobbit
    has already been done and this would be a remake since till now, as far as I
    know there is only an Animated version available The animated version of the
    hobbit wasn't bad actually, own it, but I would really like to see a live
    film version to match the LotR set. They already have some of it filmed as
    they used it as back story in the 3 films to explain Gollum & they even
    showed the 3 stone trolls from hobbit story. Now, personally, I think he's
    wasting his time with ANOTHER remake of King Kong. I mean, there's nothing
    new to add to that story unless his big things is going to be "mine is more
    realistic" type claims about a 30 ft tall ape lol.

    Bratboy, Jan 24, 2005
  17. Dragon

    Mark W Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Ok guys heard rumours that peter jackson is filming the prequel to lord of
    > the rings in the hobbit but cannot find any findings, is it truew and if
    > so why hasnt IMDB got anything on it, ive even heard there is a trailor
    > already
    >
    > comments welcome
    >
    > dave

    It's the Silmarillion that he's working on.

    Mark W, Jan 24, 2005
  18. Dragon

    Lunaray Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    Interesting, where'd you hear that?

    Lunaray, Jan 24, 2005
  19. Dragon

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    Bratboy wrote:
    > While I understand some think Hobbit too infantile for their tastes many of
    > us actually do like ALL of Tolkens work. Its not like a live action Hobbit
    > has already been done and this would be a remake since till now, as far as I
    > know there is only an Animated version available The animated version of the
    > hobbit wasn't bad actually, own it, but I would really like to see a live
    > film version to match the LotR set. They already have some of it filmed as
    > they used it as back story in the 3 films to explain Gollum & they even
    > showed the 3 stone trolls from hobbit story. Now, personally, I think he's
    > wasting his time with ANOTHER remake of King Kong. I mean, there's nothing
    > new to add to that story unless his big things is going to be "mine is more
    > realistic" type claims about a 30 ft tall ape lol.

    Well remaking King Kong was one of Peter Jackson's life long dreams. So
    after the success the LOTR trilogy I would imagine that just about
    anything he does will be green lighted by a studio.

    Besides, has the film rights issue with the Tolkin estate been resolved
    for filming the Hobbit? The big hang-up that I heard about was that
    Christopher Tolkin was angry with New Line Studios and Peter Jackson's
    adaptation of the LOTR's because his father sold the movie rights back
    in the 1950's for a small sum to pay a tax bill. So the family wasn't
    getting a cut of the movie box office.

    Though I would imagine the Tolkin estate made out well anyway the last
    four years thanks to the hype from the movies really upped the book
    sales of the LOTR.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Jan 24, 2005
  20. Dragon

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Re: The Hobbit filming

    ROFL

    Why wasn't this produced years ago...would have saved me hours reading to my
    kids.....

    FG

    Flash Gordon, Jan 24, 2005