    customs will slap on their VAT tax when it hits these shores?, as I've never
    purchased anything from the US before.

    Thanks!
    Chef!, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Chef!

    chris French Guest

    In message <cjJGc.546$>, Chef!
    <> writes
    >I know this is OT, but my query kinda relates to photography. I am looking
    >to buy some photographic equipment from the US and want to know if the UK
    >customs will slap on their VAT tax when it hits these shores?, as I've never
    >purchased anything from the US before.

    Do you mean via mailorder, or when you are in the US?

    I think technically the same rules apply if you buy the goods in person,
    but of course it is harder for HMC&E to tell.

    For mailorder, you pay any specific duty applicable to the items - for
    digital cameras this is 0% I think,

    You then pay VAT (at standard 17.5%) on the cost of the goods+duty.

    This tax/duty is normally collected for HMC&E by the courier, or the
    post office when they deliver, and they usually charge a fee for this as
    well.

    See:

    <http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/shopping.htm>
    <http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/common-internet-goods.pdf>

    Sometimes I have had things delivered and the duty/tax has not been
    collected by the PO, but it isn't something to rely on, and I suspect is
    less likely for more expensive purchases.
    --
    Chris French
    chris French, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Chef!