    Thoughts?

    --
    Leigh Kendall MCSD, MCDBA

    Leigh Kendall, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Leigh Kendall

    Charlie Guest

    Re: Study Techniques

    I underline so that when I review I only read the underlined points which
    are the key points.

    "Leigh Kendall" <> wrote in message
    > Here's an off-topic question:
    >
    > Do you underline key topics words etc as you read technical books? I do,

    but

    Charlie, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Leigh Kendall

    dunfailed Guest

    Re: Study Techniques

    me too... i also make notes from what i review/revise.

    dunfailed, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Leigh Kendall

    Kline Sphere Guest

    I always have done.

    Naturally I started doing so while studying for my degree's. Back then
    I tended to speed read through sections marking 'interesting' points
    with highlighters or post-it notes (when they came out!). Then re-read
    the section making revision type notes regarding those 'interesting'
    points (and others I missed!).

    No reason why people can't do the same while studying for these type
    of exams, especially given most of the study material can be found for
    free on the web. Simple print the contents and highlight away!

    Kline Sphere, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Leigh Kendall

    Kline Sphere Guest

    BTW, no off topic at all!

    Kline Sphere, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Leigh Kendall

    Humanity Guest

    Re: Study Techniques

    "dunfailed" <> wrote in message

    > me too... i also make notes from what i review/revise.

    I don't underline; wouldn't want to ruin my precious
    book.

    Humanity, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Glad to hear others are underlining as well!

    I do find it helpful to underline, even if I end up re-reading an entire
    section that I already read and underlined (key points). As an experiment
    one time, I tried stopping underling, margin notes, stickys etc and it drove
    me crazy! I'd go back to review a section, and there was nothing to jog my
    memory. I guess this is the power of smart underling and margin notes;
    triggers memories and thoughts you had when originally reading the material.

    If anyone's interested, I stumbled upon a GREAT book about 3 years ago on
    reading that applies to business, technical and any type of "serious"
    reading. It's called Power Reading
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_2/002-8915268-4802466?v=glance&s=books
    by Phyllis Mindell and it IMO has helped me tremendously in my reading.

    Thanks for the feedback...

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Nov 17, 2003
  8. Leigh Kendall

    Kline Sphere Guest

    > I guess this is the power of smart underling and margin notes;
    >triggers memories and thoughts you had when originally reading the material.

    Absolutely

    Kline Sphere, Nov 17, 2003
  9. Leigh Kendall

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Study Techniques

    the key is to do your studies in the nude

    Consultant, Nov 17, 2003
  10. Re: Study Techniques

    Consultant wrote:
    > the key is to do your studies in the nude

    Dude, you're the only one who does that. I keep telling you that.

    --
    Fris "That's why nobody ever comes over to your house" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Nov 17, 2003
  11. Leigh Kendall

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Study Techniques

    i try to put together study groups, but everyone runs when i answer the
    door, oh well

    Consultant, Nov 17, 2003