    Is there anything like that currently available?
    --
    Pete Cresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Apr 24, 2013

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):

    >Is there anything like that currently available?

    FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.

    That being the case, the device in question would not need to serve
    multiple extensions.

    The "Press 1 for Sue, Press 2 for Dave, Press 3 for Paul......" is just
    the challenge part. Really, there would be only one key that does
    anything - buried at the end of the prompt.

    A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
    presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
    leave a message.
    --
    Pete Cresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Apr 24, 2013

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:03:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >
    >> my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.

    > To speak to the householder, enter the largest prime number which is a
    > factor of the number you dialled, followed by the hash key ...

    The hash key of what? :)

    Bob Eager, Apr 24, 2013
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Nick Guest

    On 24/04/2013 19:38, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:
    >> Per (PeteCresswell):
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything like that currently available?

    >> FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.
    >>
    >> That being the case, the device in question would not need to serve
    >> multiple extensions.
    >>
    >> The "Press 1 for Sue, Press 2 for Dave, Press 3 for Paul......" is just
    >> the challenge part. Really, there would be only one key that does
    >> anything - buried at the end of the prompt.
    >>
    >> A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
    >> presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
    >> leave a message.

    > The generic answer is: Linux PC running Asterisk.
    >
    > There are several turnkey installations avalable. Start googling!
    >
    > freepbx, pbxinaflash and many others...
    >
    > There are also many paid-for ones, but they're not as flexible as the
    > free ones ime.
    >
    > Gordon

    In terms of user friendliness and ease of installation Asterisk is
    pretty nasty. The same also appears to go for Freepbx. i.e. in this
    context very much an enthusiast toy rather than a utility.
    Nick, Apr 24, 2013
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On 24 Apr 2013 21:05:26 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:03:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
    >
    >> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >>
    >>> my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.

    >> To speak to the householder, enter the largest prime number which is a
    >> factor of the number you dialled, followed by the hash key ...

    >The hash key of what? :)

    Hexadecimal dial? Even 4 column DTMF only goes up to "D".

    Where's "Spinal Tap" when you need them?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 25, 2013
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:36:07 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per (PeteCresswell):
    >>
    >>Is there anything like that currently available?

    >FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.
    >
    >That being the case, the device in question would not need to serve
    >multiple extensions.
    >
    >The "Press 1 for Sue, Press 2 for Dave, Press 3 for Paul......" is just
    >the challenge part. Really, there would be only one key that does
    >anything - buried at the end of the prompt.
    >
    >A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
    >presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
    >leave a message.

    I am just playing with such a system now, Raspbx running on a headless
    Raspberry Pi.

    It will do all of that plus lot's more, like DISA and call recording.

    You will need some hardware with an FXO port for your landline. My
    system uses only VoIP trunks, I might try adding a GSM trunk because I
    think I have a compatible USB dongle that someone has written the code
    for.

    Total outlay, about $54 and almost negligible running costs.

    Has the Raspberry Pi made as much impact in the US as it has here?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 25, 2013
  7. Per R. Mark Clayton:
    >BT have recently released a phone that will ignore withheld, unavailable
    >etc. calls - Google up.

    Sounds hopeful in that somebody besides Yours Truly is obsessing about
    this issue.

    Given that their "TrueCall" black box can front-end an existing
    handset system, that's a Good Thing.... as opposed to having to shell
    out for each hand set.

    I like the "Do Not Disturb" mode - assuming it has a timer on it and
    does not have to be manually reset.

    But it seems to fall short.

    To wit:

    - It only ignores blacklisted and "Unavailable" numbers. The robocalls
    and solicitors I get on my cell phone almost always supply a number.
    Being too cheap to pay the extra for CallerID on my land line I don't
    know for sure about the calls we get there... but it seems reasonable
    to assume it's the same situation.

    - Per http://tinyurl.com/c6dx24a
    "And it’s worth noting the TPS cannot stop calls from
    international companies or from companies that choose to ignore
    the rules."

    Based on the lame-sounding letters I was getting from
    the Pennsylvania (USA) attorney general's office in response to
    reported DNC list violations, I suspect that most robo and solicitor
    calls are international and made via VOIP providers.
    --
    Pete Cresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Apr 25, 2013
  8. Graham. <> wrote:
    > I am just playing with such a system now, Raspbx running on a headless
    > Raspberry Pi.
    >
    > It will do all of that plus lot's more, like DISA and call recording.
    >
    > You will need some hardware with an FXO port for your landline. My
    > system uses only VoIP trunks, I might try adding a GSM trunk because I
    > think I have a compatible USB dongle that someone has written the code
    > for.

    I was hoping there was a way to use a USB Winmodem as an FXO port, but I
    failed to find anything...

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Apr 25, 2013
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:36:08 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

    > Graham. <> wrote:
    >> I am just playing with such a system now, Raspbx running on a headless
    >> Raspberry Pi.
    >>
    >> It will do all of that plus lot's more, like DISA and call recording.
    >>
    >> You will need some hardware with an FXO port for your landline. My
    >> system uses only VoIP trunks, I might try adding a GSM trunk because I
    >> think I have a compatible USB dongle that someone has written the code
    >> for.

    > I was hoping there was a way to use a USB Winmodem as an FXO port, but I
    > failed to find anything...

    Cheapest and most reliable way to get an FXO port seems to be about 50
    quid - an SPA3102.

    Bob Eager, Apr 25, 2013
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    Owain Guest

    On Apr 24, 7:36 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    > FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.
    > A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
    > presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
    > leave a message.

    Truecall will do that, I think.

    You can set a 1, 2 or 3 digit pass code which trusted callers can use
    to get past the device. Other callers can leave a message.

    https://www.truecall.co.uk/call-blo...m/blocker-callflows/ask-for-callers-code.aspx

    Owain
    Owain, Apr 27, 2013
  11. alexd <> wrote:
    > Theo Markettos (for it is he) wrote:
    >
    > > I was hoping there was a way to use a USB Winmodem as an FXO port, but I
    > > failed to find anything...

    > If you could, you'd probably be pushing the limits of the CPU.

    Not really, if you chose your codec carefully. A Winmodem is essentially a
    DAC/ADC in a box, with a relay for switching on/off hook. So all you need
    to do is keep it filled with 8KHz audio - that's 64kbps in each direction.
    If you're encoding simple formats like a-law or u-law you should be fine - I
    agree that trying to do GSM or ADPCM could be more CPU intensive (but the
    GPU may come in handy here). I've done a-law/u-law on a 233MHz 32MB MIPS
    router, while GSM transcoding was a bit much.

    The trouble seems to be the relative paucity of USB modems these days -
    there are plenty of PCI winmodems, but not so many USB.

    <further digging ensues>

    It looks like Smartlink USB modems, like this one (probably vendor:product
    0483:7554):
    http://www.tmart.com/56K-USB-2.0-Fax-Modem-External-Dial-Up-PCI-Voice-V.92_p97534.html
    have a Linux USB driver (sl-modem-source package in Debian/Ubuntu).

    Some Smartlink AMR/PCI drivers support ALSA, but this one doesn't. However
    it makes a very simple device /dev/slusb0 to which you can read and write
    audio samples, with an ioctl for setting sample rate and on/off hook.

    So it probably wouldn't be hard to plumb this into a console channel in
    Asterisk to get a cheap FXO port. Echo cancellation might be an issue, I
    don't know if Asterisk handles that. I'd hope Asterisk would do DTMF
    en/decode, but worst case you could pulse dial with little effort (or simply
    play back stored samples for proper DTMF).

    There might be a way to hack it into an FXS port too (use the hookswitch
    relay to switch ring current, or something).

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Apr 28, 2013
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On 28 Apr 2013 17:44:18 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >alexd <> wrote:
    >> Theo Markettos (for it is he) wrote:
    >>
    >> > I was hoping there was a way to use a USB Winmodem as an FXO port, but I
    >> > failed to find anything...

    >> If you could, you'd probably be pushing the limits of the CPU.

    >Not really, if you chose your codec carefully. A Winmodem is essentially a
    >DAC/ADC in a box, with a relay for switching on/off hook. So all you need
    >to do is keep it filled with 8KHz audio - that's 64kbps in each direction.
    >If you're encoding simple formats like a-law or u-law you should be fine - I
    >agree that trying to do GSM or ADPCM could be more CPU intensive (but the
    >GPU may come in handy here). I've done a-law/u-law on a 233MHz 32MB MIPS
    >router, while GSM transcoding was a bit much.
    >
    >The trouble seems to be the relative paucity of USB modems these days -
    >there are plenty of PCI winmodems, but not so many USB.
    >
    ><further digging ensues>
    >
    >It looks like Smartlink USB modems, like this one (probably vendor:product
    >0483:7554):
    >http://www.tmart.com/56K-USB-2.0-Fax-Modem-External-Dial-Up-PCI-Voice-V.92_p97534.html
    >have a Linux USB driver (sl-modem-source package in Debian/Ubuntu).
    >
    >Some Smartlink AMR/PCI drivers support ALSA, but this one doesn't. However
    >it makes a very simple device /dev/slusb0 to which you can read and write
    >audio samples, with an ioctl for setting sample rate and on/off hook.
    >
    >So it probably wouldn't be hard to plumb this into a console channel in
    >Asterisk to get a cheap FXO port. Echo cancellation might be an issue, I
    >don't know if Asterisk handles that. I'd hope Asterisk would do DTMF
    >en/decode, but worst case you could pulse dial with little effort (or simply
    >play back stored samples for proper DTMF).
    >
    >There might be a way to hack it into an FXS port too (use the hookswitch
    >relay to switch ring current, or something).
    >
    >Theo

    This looks promising, apart from the price, £117.32 inc postage
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sangoma-U...75741?pt=US_Cabling_Tools&hash=item35c12ad25d

    At that price you would be better putting an SPA3102 on your LAN

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 28, 2013
  13. Roger Bell_West, Apr 28, 2013
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:38:24 +0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West
    <> wrote:

    >On 2013-04-28, Graham wrote:
    >>This looks promising, apart from the price, ?117.32 inc postage
    >>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sangoma-U...75741?pt=US_Cabling_Tools&hash=item35c12ad25d
    >>
    >>At that price you would be better putting an SPA3102 on your LAN

    >Or just buying a PCI FXO card and running Asterisk on that machine.

    Problem here is I have retired my dual core tower in favour of a
    Raspberry Pi based Asterisk box.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 29, 2013
  15. (PeteCresswell)

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 00:32:43 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:38:24 +0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2013-04-28, Graham wrote:
    >>>This looks promising, apart from the price, ?117.32 inc postage
    >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sangoma-USB-FXO-USBFXO-U100-

    BRANDNEW-/230874075741?pt=US_Cabling_Tools&hash=item35c12ad25d

    >>>At that price you would be better putting an SPA3102 on your LAN

    >>Or just buying a PCI FXO card and running Asterisk on that machine.

    > Problem here is I have retired my dual core tower in favour of a
    > Raspberry Pi based Asterisk box.

    And the SPA3102 is a lot cheaper than a *decent* FXO card.

    Bob Eager, Apr 29, 2013
  16. In article <>,
    Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >And the SPA3102 is a lot cheaper than a *decent* FXO card.

    No. It's about 90p cheaper.

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/linksys-spa3102-p-301.html

    vs.

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400p01-p-669.html

    Your argument is going to be that the OpenVox card is not decent,
    but I've installed dozens of them and they're fantastic and I've had
    better support from then than from Diguim. Combine them with the Oslec
    echo canceller module and I hve not found anything to rival them.

    Not applicable for the Pi though, but if you already have a PC running
    with a spare PCI slot then it's a no-brainer.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Apr 29, 2013
  17. (PeteCresswell)

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:21:32 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >>And the SPA3102 is a lot cheaper than a *decent* FXO card.

    > No. It's about 90p cheaper.
    >
    > http://www.voipon.co.uk/linksys-spa3102-p-301.html
    >
    > vs.
    >
    > http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400p01-p-669.html
    >
    > Your argument is going to be that the OpenVox card is not decent,
    > but I've installed dozens of them and they're fantastic and I've had
    > better support from then than from Diguim. Combine them with the Oslec
    > echo canceller module and I hve not found anything to rival them.

    No, it wasn't the OpenVox card I was thinking of (I wasn't aware of it).

    Bob Eager, Apr 29, 2013