OT: Standalone Skype Gateway?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by (PeteCresswell), Oct 8, 2010.

  1. Tried this on alt.cellular, but no nibbles.

    Dunno where else to try except here.
    I've got one of these things:
    http://www.von-phone.com/usb_skype_phone_adapter.php

    It's claim to fame is that if I pick up any telephone in my house
    and dial any number wrapped in "**" at the beginning and "#" at
    the end, it will automagically route the call through Skype
    instead of my regular Verizon phone service. It works in
    conjunction with a driver/enabeler application running on a PC.

    It works... mostly.... but the driver/enabeler program will not
    run under Windows Home Server - which is my 24-7 box - or, more
    correctly I suspect, the WSH box will not recognize the device.

    I've got it running on an old Windows XP box, but that gets
    pricey running 24-7 for no other reason.

    One option would be to cobble together a Mini-XT box which would
    draw about 20 watts. Another would be to get a used netbook -
    which I'm guessing would draw a like amount.

    But what I'm really looking for is a self-contained box that does
    it all - somehow running Skype all by itself and drawing only a
    few watts.

    Seems like outfits like Cisco should be all over this - but I
    can't get past the terminology/acronyms to figure out what
    devices are relevant.

    Anybody have something that works for them?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Oct 8, 2010