    these... he would rather have the slowed bandwidth and
    just deal with it... but I am trying to help in any way I
    can. Any recommendations?

    Keyboard Cowboy, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Keyboard Cowboy

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Spyware Removal Tool recommendations

    > Looking for a recommendation on free spyware/adware
    > removal programs that a dummy could run on a regular
    > basis. I need to set something up on my Father's
    > computer... he is cheap and is not willing to pay for
    > these... he would rather have the slowed bandwidth and
    > just deal with it... but I am trying to help in any way I
    > can. Any recommendations?

    What's wrong with Ad-aware?

    Jtyc, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Keyboard Cowboy

    exhm2 Guest

    Try AdAware SE

    exhm2, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Keyboard Cowboy

    exhm2 Guest

    Try AdAware SE

    exhm2, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Here's what I do... I use EZ Armor, adaware, spybot search and destroy, and
    HIjack This. Using these once every three days to a week will get rid of 90%
    of the spyware on your machine (depending on how much you surf...the bad
    sights are the worst). Also make sure you download and install the security
    updates as they come out. Now if you can keep the kids from clicking "yes"
    to every popup that comes up :)

    Hope this helps

    The man with no (good) name (yet)

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNOR1B3YW5uYWJl?=, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Keyboard Cowboy

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNOR1B3YW5uYWJl?= <>
    prattled ceaslessly in

    > Here's what I do... I use EZ Armor, adaware, spybot search and
    > destroy, and HIjack This. Using these once every three days to a week
    > will get rid of 90% of the spyware on your machine (depending on how
    > much you surf...the bad sights are the worst). Also make sure you
    > download and install the security updates as they come out. Now if
    > you can keep the kids from clicking "yes" to every popup that comes up
    > :)
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > The man with no (good) name (yet)
    >
    > "Keyboard Cowboy" wrote:
    >
    >> First... I have googled... so don't go there.
    >>
    >> Looking for a recommendation on free spyware/adware
    >> removal programs that a dummy could run on a regular
    >> basis. I need to set something up on my Father's
    >> computer... he is cheap and is not willing to pay for
    >> these... he would rather have the slowed bandwidth and
    >> just deal with it... but I am trying to help in any way I
    >> can. Any recommendations?

    Gotta agree with Flounder here. <eg>

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's the day-to-day living that wears you
    out." Anton Chekhov

    catwalker63, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Re: Spyware Removal Tool recommendations

    Thanks. Will check them out.

    Keyboard Cowboy, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Keyboard Cowboy

    LnkWizard Guest

    Re: Spyware Removal Tool recommendations

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in
    message news:1aed01c4bb8c$05bd8ae0$...
    > First... I have googled... so don't go there.
    >
    > Looking for a recommendation on free spyware/adware
    > removal programs that a dummy could run on a regular
    > basis. I need to set something up on my Father's
    > computer... he is cheap and is not willing to pay for
    > these... he would rather have the slowed bandwidth and
    > just deal with it... but I am trying to help in any way I
    > can. Any recommendations?

    We use Spybot Search and Destroy V 1.3
    www.safer-networking.org as our base program.
    If needed, we use Hijack This! www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
    but that is not for a novice.
    I personally use Ad-Aware SE www.lavasoft.de at home
    in addition to the other two.

    The new Spybot has some added features you can set that will
    reduce the infestation problems on your Dad's machine. It won't
    completely stop them but it will slow them down.
    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    LnkWizard, Oct 26, 2004

  9. >-----Original Message-----
    >Here's what I do... I use EZ Armor, adaware, spybot

    search and destroy, and
    >HIjack This. Using these once every three days to a week

    will get rid of 90%
    >of the spyware on your machine (depending on how much you

    surf...the bad
    >sights are the worst). Also make sure you download and

    install the security
    >updates as they come out. Now if you can keep the kids

    from clicking "yes"
    >to every popup that comes up :)
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >
    >The man with no (good) name (yet)

    I have spybot at home... but I hesitate putting that on
    his computer... I personally don't think that spybot
    should be used by dummies... the removal of something
    imporant could be devistating to him. With him not
    knowing all that he is doing... I was wanting something
    that would be "safer" in the hands of a user. I am
    checking into adaware. I will also look at EZ Armor.
    THanks.

    Keyboard Cowboy, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Keyboard Cowboy

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > =?Utf-8?B?TUNOR1B3YW5uYWJl?= <>
    > prattled ceaslessly in
    >
    > > Here's what I do... I use EZ Armor, adaware, spybot search and
    > > destroy, and HIjack This. Using these once every three days to a week
    > > will get rid of 90% of the spyware on your machine (depending on how
    > > much you surf...the bad sights are the worst). Also make sure you
    > > download and install the security updates as they come out. Now if
    > > you can keep the kids from clicking "yes" to every popup that comes up
    > > :)
    > >
    > > Hope this helps
    > >
    > > The man with no (good) name (yet)
    > >
    > > "Keyboard Cowboy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> First... I have googled... so don't go there.
    > >>
    > >> Looking for a recommendation on free spyware/adware
    > >> removal programs that a dummy could run on a regular
    > >> basis. I need to set something up on my Father's
    > >> computer... he is cheap and is not willing to pay for
    > >> these... he would rather have the slowed bandwidth and
    > >> just deal with it... but I am trying to help in any way I
    > >> can. Any recommendations?
    > >>

    > Gotta agree with Flounder here. <eg>

    Except that his 90% figure is probably more like 98%, if run every few days
    and updated religiously.
    I don't think there's *one* solution to spyware/malware/fuckyouware,
    although my preference would be AdAware. I think a combination of tools is
    the best solution. At home, I run SpyBot S&D as well as AdAware. I run each
    about once a week, and they regularly turn up nothing - or next to nothing.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    first initial last name AT gmail DOT com

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 26, 2004
  11. Keyboard Cowboy

    Dragon Guest

    Spybot is good and so is AdAware. Both perform backups that can be restored
    if needed.
    Use both, not just one.

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in
    message news:142701c4bb90$5c318350$...

    Dragon, Oct 26, 2004
  12. Cat

    I love you. Can this be my official name "Flounder" I do kinda look like
    him and fat drunk and stupid is actually listed in my mission statement.
    Eureka lightning has struck. (with your permission of course)

    Flounder

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNOR1B3YW5uYWJl?=, Oct 26, 2004
  13. Keyboard Cowboy

    Doom Guest

    "MCNGPwannabe" <> wrote in message
    > Cat
    >
    > I love you.

    It would appear our CW has gotten her very own stalker.

    Doom, Oct 26, 2004
  14. Keyboard Cowboy

    kpg Guest

    Re: Spyware Removal Tool recommendations

    Spybot S&D combined with a virus scan will get most.

    Toobar Cop and/or HijackThis are essential to get rid of BHO's.

    That and about three hours are all you need to clean a system.

    --
    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?

    kpg, Oct 26, 2004
  15. Keyboard Cowboy

    kpg Guest

    Ken, you have a groupie!

    kpg, Oct 26, 2004
  16. Keyboard Cowboy

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Spyware Removal Tool recommendations

    download a new father

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <>

    .. Any recommendations?

    Consultant, Oct 26, 2004
  17. Re: Spyware Removal Tool recommendations

    And after all that, if the system is REALLY hosed, about 2 hrs to reformat
    and rebuild.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uYXRob3NwaWNl?=, Oct 26, 2004
  18. Keyboard Cowboy

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > Ken, you have a groupie!

    Ken <> Cat
    Ken != Cat
    not(Ken == Cat)

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 26, 2004
  19. Re: Spyware Removal Tool recommendations

    lol

    <>

    Keyboard Cowboy, Oct 26, 2004
  20. Keyboard Cowboy

    kpg Guest

    > Ken <> Cat
    > Ken != Cat
    > not(Ken == Cat)

    My bad. I'm not seeing too clearly today.

    Let's see if I have this right:

    StrComp("Ken","Cat",vbtextCompare) <> 0 ?

    kpg

    kpg, Oct 26, 2004