    I need some direction.

    Thanks
    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, May 13, 2009

  2. I am not entirely sure what sort of file renaming you are trying to do, but
    I use Bulk Rename Utility http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
    for any renaming I do.
    As a bonus to keep this on topic with the newsgroup it comes as a native
    64bit or 32bit application.

    HTH
    Robert

    Robert McMillan, May 14, 2009

  3. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    Re: OT Somewhat - File renaming

    On May 13, 4:05�pm, "Robert McMillan" <> wrote:
    > I am not entirely sure what sort of file renaming you are trying to do, but
    > I use Bulk Rename Utilityhttp://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
    > for any renaming I do.
    > As a bonus to keep this on topic with the newsgroup it comes as a native
    > 64bit or 32bit application.
    >
    > HTH
    > Robert

    Robert

    I do lots of photography. Sometimes the files are too many for a CD
    and I download them from my camera to a temporary file. Then I split
    the files putting them in different folders. This last time was 4
    different folders. Then I need to rename the files to correspond with
    the folder names.

    As in following example:

    As in changing "Canon5D51-125 to Canon5D54-125."

    I can do it the hardway but not enough time in the day. Thus the
    request for a file renaming itility.

    I have downloaded thew suggested file and will install it on my
    "photography" computer and go from there.

    I do make a CD of all photos.

    Thank you for your prompt response.

    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, May 14, 2009
  4. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    Re: OT Somewhat - File renaming

    On May 13, 4:05�pm, "Robert McMillan" <> wrote:
    > I am not entirely sure what sort of file renaming you are trying to do, but
    > I use Bulk Rename Utilityhttp://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
    > for any renaming I do.
    > As a bonus to keep this on topic with the newsgroup it comes as a native
    > 64bit or 32bit application.
    >
    > HTH
    > Robert

    Robert et al

    Surprise, to me at least, the program worked for my needs right now.
    I changed several hundred files I needed to this evening. More
    tomorrow.

    Thanks again
    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, May 14, 2009
  5. Re: OT Somewhat - File renaming

    Bob --
    At least simple renaming is fairly trivial, using CMD.

    C:\Temp > ren Canon5D51-???.jpg Canon5D54-???.jpg

    Will change the single character while preserving the numbering sequence.
    This will continue to work as long as the basic change is this simple, which
    it often is. Doing this in PowerShell is actually a good deal harder, but
    once you've done it there, it's actually a good deal more flexible. There,
    you'll create a for loop using a regex and loop through the list of files,
    changing whatever part you want.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64