OT: So who was it that sent the snow to Pukeohe?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I know that I was bemaoning the fact that I was cold last week, and someone
    posted pics of a snowy landscape inresponse....

    Well, since then we've had snow over most of the area, nothing like it for
    70 years according to one old biddy. I have a cordless doorbell and the
    outside part also has a temperature sensor and sender and it read 2.4ºC
    (halfway up the door, on the deck) last night when I went to bed. When I got
    to my computer this morning it was 5.8ºC in my 'office'.

    I'm supposed to have the 'spare' car at the service station at 2pm for a WOF
    check so I can sell it. The rego's been on suspension so this is the only
    time I can legally drive it on the road and I need to 'ride' the brakes a
    bit to dress them (it's been standing over a year) and it's in need of a
    tune up (which I was also going to do on the way to the service station, I
    have the screwdriver that fits the mixture screw all ready...).

    However it's so damn cold I've just spent 5 minutes taking the typos out of
    this post and have just decided to turn the fan heater on (gods know how I'm
    ging to pay for it). The back plays up more in this weather too so I might
    have to cancel the WOF booking.....

    I won't complain about the cold again if you promise to never send snow this
    way again. Deal?
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Rob Davison Guest

    On 8/16/2011 11:30 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I know that I was bemaoning the fact that I was cold last week, and someone
    > posted pics of a snowy landscape inresponse....

    Heh. Sorry about that!

    [...]

    > I won't complain about the cold again if you promise to never send snow this
    > way again. Deal?

    LOL. Deal!

    And, apologies if my earlier post appeared derisive or inconsiderate.
    Nothing worse than being cold when you're ill or in so much pain as to
    be unable to get warm through physical exercise.

    Hopefully normal service (for us all!) will be resumed promptly.

    Rob.
    Rob Davison, Aug 16, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob Davison wrote:
    > On 8/16/2011 11:30 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I know that I was bemaoning the fact that I was cold last week, and
    >> someone posted pics of a snowy landscape inresponse....

    > Heh. Sorry about that!

    Ha! That's right, it was you! <mumblemumblemumble>

    >> I won't complain about the cold again if you promise to never send
    >> snow this way again. Deal?

    > LOL. Deal!

    Cool. Nope, make that cold. ;-)

    > And, apologies if my earlier post appeared derisive or inconsiderate.
    > Nothing worse than being cold when you're ill or in so much pain as to
    > be unable to get warm through physical exercise.

    Yeah mate, that's the issue. I've been to the gym to see what sort of
    machine I might be able to use and the only thing is a cycle that has a
    straight-backed seat and the pedals in line with the hips. I can use that
    thing for hours, and there's even a place to put a book. Alas, I can't find
    anything close sold for home use, am told that they cost ~$15K (the gym I
    went to only has one of this type) and I can't afford a gym membership*, or
    to travel there anyway.

    (* You'd think that, in a case like mine, W&I might help with this huh?
    You'd be wrong, as I was. My doc wrote a 'green prescription' that allowed
    me limited access twice a week for three months, then that was it.
    Apparently they can't keep writing them ad infinitum, or even twice
    consecutively.)

    > Hopefully normal service (for us all!) will be resumed promptly.

    Indeed, or I'm going to be faced with bills I just *can't* meet. It's a
    juggling act balancing the books each month as it is, without paying for
    heating too. Ooops! That's complaining again, I'll STFU! ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    On 16/08/2011 11:30 a.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the intarwebs:

    But at least you've earned the right to wear the shirt...
    <http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295493_205589876162958_100001358424176_481070_1669218_n.jpg>

    :D
    Squiggle, Aug 16, 2011
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > On 16/08/2011 11:30 a.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
    > intarwebs:
    >
    > But at least you've earned the right to wear the shirt...
    > <http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295493_205589876162958_100001358424176_481070_1669218_n.jpg>

    LOL, methinks there's been a mix-up with the wording somewhere. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2011
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > On 16/08/2011 11:30 a.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
    > intarwebs:
    >
    > But at least you've earned the right to wear the shirt...
    > <http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295493_205589876162958_100001358424176_481070_1669218_n.jpg>

    Go to: http://fairfaxmedia.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx and to
    'select title' Aucks free region, Franklin County News. You can see on page
    one that we really did have snow, the like I've neer seen 'round these
    parts.

    Today, at 3pm it was 5ºC on my front deck. I'm currently burning through my
    electricity quota for the month like there's no tomorrow, using two $9
    warehouse fan heaters. Problem is, there *is* a tomorrow.....

    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2011
  7. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/08/11 22:24, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >> On 16/08/2011 11:30 a.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
    >> intarwebs:
    >>
    >> But at least you've earned the right to wear the shirt...
    >> <http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295493_205589876162958_100001358424176_481070_1669218_n.jpg>

    > Go to: http://fairfaxmedia.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx and to
    > 'select title' Aucks free region, Franklin County News. You can see on page
    > one that we really did have snow, the like I've neer seen 'round these
    > parts.

    Looks like a bit of slushy rain from the pictures.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Aug 16, 2011
  8. In article <>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 16/08/11 22:24, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >>> On 16/08/2011 11:30 a.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
    >>> intarwebs:
    >>> But at least you've earned the right to wear the shirt...

    > <http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295493_205589876162958_10
    >0001358424176_481070_1669218_n.jpg>
    >> Go to: http://fairfaxmedia.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx and to
    >> 'select title' Aucks free region, Franklin County News. You can see on page
    >> one that we really did have snow, the like I've neer seen 'round these
    >> parts.

    >Looks like a bit of slushy rain from the pictures.

    :)
    I saw aucklanders on the tele looking in dark corners for small piles of ...
    something. Yes, I think they probably had a few flakes ... but here in PN,
    we had a few inches. I submit 'a few not settling flakes you have to go
    looking for', doesn't rate on the snow scale. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 16, 2011
  9. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 16/08/2011 11:30 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I know that I was bemaoning the fact that I was cold last week, and someone
    > posted pics of a snowy landscape inresponse....
    >
    > Well, since then we've had snow over most of the area, nothing like it for
    > 70 years according to one old biddy. I have a cordless doorbell and the
    > outside part also has a temperature sensor and sender and it read 2.4ºC
    > (halfway up the door, on the deck) last night when I went to bed. When I got
    > to my computer this morning it was 5.8ºC in my 'office'.
    >
    > I'm supposed to have the 'spare' car at the service station at 2pm for a WOF
    > check so I can sell it. The rego's been on suspension so this is the only
    > time I can legally drive it on the road and I need to 'ride' the brakes a
    > bit to dress them (it's been standing over a year) and it's in need of a
    > tune up (which I was also going to do on the way to the service station,

    Going to give it the old Italian tune up !!!

    bugalugs, Aug 17, 2011
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > On 16/08/2011 11:30 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I'm supposed to have the 'spare' car at the service station at 2pm
    >> for a WOF check so I can sell it. The rego's been on suspension so
    >> this is the only time I can legally drive it on the road and I need
    >> to 'ride' the brakes a bit to dress them (it's been standing over a
    >> year) and it's in need of a tune up (which I was also going to do on
    >> the way to the service station,

    > Going to give it the old Italian tune up !!!

    >> have the screwdriver that fits the mixture screw all ready...).

    'Italian tune up', is that what you call it? <g> I'm well used to tuning
    cars 'on the run' as it were, since I was a kid. As long as you've got the
    right sized spanner to loosen the dizzy and screwdrivers to adjust the
    mixture and points (although the City has CDI) you're good to go. If you
    want to get flash you can take a timing light as well. (Although my first
    timing light didn't like the vibrations of being carried around in the boot
    and died rather quickly. These days I use my neighbour's.)

    It's one of the reasons I'm loathe to give up my Honda Citys; I can do most
    everything in the way of maintenance (pain allowing) myself. I don't have to
    pay those crooks in overalls. ;-)

    Oh, speaking of 'pain allowing'... Just driving the car and doing 'emergency
    stops' wasn't getting the brakes working properly. The right front was fine,
    grabbing nicely and pulling me into the other lane <g>. However the front
    left wasn't so good. With 20 mins to go until my WOF booking (I book and
    wait while they do it..) I decided emergency measures were called for...

    A quick stop at Supercheap for a can of 'Brakleen' and home. Backed into the
    drive, put the trolley jack under the front. Loosened the nuts with the X
    brace, jacked her up and spun them off. Then I emptied the can spraying both
    rotors and the pads, turning the rotors once... The first ~ 1/4 of the
    Brakleen just evaoprated as the brakes were hot. However that cooled them
    enough so that the remaining amount sluiced off nicely, leaving dirty marks
    on my driveway.

    Wheels back on, drop the jack, pinch up the nuts and back on the road to the
    service station, back complaining terribly. I tried the brakes and they were
    all fine! Not a bad pit-stop, probably under 8 minutes stationary. However I
    hadn't managed to get the carby to run right, despite having bought a bottle
    of 'Spitfire' (expensive day) and getting some of it directly into the carb.

    (Take the flexi hose off where it joins the rigid at the firewall, shake the
    fuel out, pour in about 15ml of Spitfire and re-connect. Start car and rev
    engine for <a minute. Repeat three more times, then tip rest of Spitfire
    into petrol tank.)

    I told the guy doing the WOF that she was a but hesitant, that I needed to
    work on the carb a bit, which I'd do when I got it home and rego'd it
    on-line [done]. (He knows my step-brother, a diesel mechanic at the tractor
    centre) So the car got the WOF, all ticks, no caveats written...

    Today, if my painkillers can subdue the monster eating my lower back and if
    my fingers warm up I'm going to put my spare carby on. It's not perfect,
    having a slight hesitation on acceleration (compensator pump seems to be
    working fine but something's wrong) but it's better than the one on the car.
    I'm sure it's the carb as I already replaced the (blocked) fuel filter and
    it runs fine with a bit of choke on so I don't think it's the pump.

    I spent the rest of yesterday ringing all around Pukekohe, then Aucks
    pricing up a 'carby kit'. Unbelievable! $159 from the few places who could
    supply it (including CDL Autoparts). The nice girl at the local Repco said
    that she could let me have it for $100 as they only had one in stock in the
    warehouse and it hadn't moved for quite a while. While I'd like it, if I
    have to open a carby I'll just have to 'make do'. Try not to rip gaskets
    etcetera and disassemble over an ice-cream container (or similar) so no
    little bits go flying.

    To be honest I'd rather not... I have a T43 ThinkPad to do a pre-sale check
    on (Everything must go! The invalid benefit's not gone up in years and
    inflation's rampant.) that I'd rather do (and this is a computer group <g>).
    However, the rego's paid for and time's ticking away, I need to sell it.
    Every day it sits in my drive is 80 cents rego gone, and more important,
    less attractive to a buyer having that much less 'free motoring' on it
    before they have to spend.

    Oh well, I'll warm my fingers around a cup of coffee and then get to it I
    guess.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2011
  11. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 18/08/2011 12:34 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> [...]

    > warehouse and it hadn't moved for quite a while. While I'd like it, if I
    > have to open a carby I'll just have to 'make do'. Try not to rip gaskets
    > etcetera and disassemble over an ice-cream container (or similar) so no
    > little bits go flying.
    >
    > To be honest I'd rather not... I have a T43 ThinkPad to do a pre-sale check
    > on (Everything must go! The invalid benefit's not gone up in years and
    > inflation's rampant.) that I'd rather do (and this is a computer group<g>).
    > However, the rego's paid for and time's ticking away, I need to sell it.
    > Every day it sits in my drive is 80 cents rego gone, and more important,
    > less attractive to a buyer having that much less 'free motoring' on it
    > before they have to spend.
    >
    > Oh well, I'll warm my fingers around a cup of coffee and then get to it I

    Sorry Shaun that was a whooosh :>)

    An "Italian tune-up" is to pour oil (upper cylinder lubricant) down the
    carb, wait for a while, then drive down the road at 100 mph in first gear.

    Do you have too worry too much about how it runs. I would check if they
    do the emissions check on a car of that age. The rest of a WOF looks at
    running and safety gear.

    --
    There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer
    bugalugs, Aug 18, 2011
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:34:53 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> The first ~ 1/4 of the
    >> Brakleen just evaoprated as the brakes were hot.

    > Warning, can produce phosgene gas please do not do this again buddy :(

    Ok, thanks Bret. Normally I can't afford Brakleen anyway, I'd have taken the
    pads out, cleaned and dressed them, (and the rotors). It was solely that I
    was under a time constraint that I bought the stuff and did what I did.

    Thanks for the info, and the concern. Appreciated.

    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2011
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > On 18/08/2011 12:34 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Going to give it the old Italian tune up !!!

    >> 'Italian tune up', is that what you call it?<g>

    [snip]

    > Sorry Shaun that was a whooosh :>)

    Heh! You 'whooshed' me? Bugger.

    > An "Italian tune-up" is to pour oil (upper cylinder lubricant) down
    > the carb, wait for a while, then drive down the road at 100 mph in
    > first gear.

    I just Googled it. Got it now. Along similar lines, a mate of mine who's an
    engineer but is often called upon to work on cars (which he doesn't enjoy)
    had his own system to 'de-coke' an engine; He'd empty the windscreen washer
    of any liquid (or temp-fit a unit he had there for the job, not all cars had
    windscreen washers then) and then fill it with 80% water, 20% methylated
    spirits and carry a container of the mix with him. He'd then divert the
    output of the pump so that it went straight into the throttle throat.

    Then, if it had a tow-bar he'd hook up a trailer with as much weight on it
    as possible. He'd then proceed to drive it around putting the engine under
    load as much as he could and keep squirting his water / meths mix until the
    engine would falter, then stop squirting it until it cleared, the squirt it
    again....

    He reckons that by the time you've put a gallon of that mix through the
    combustion chambers are all shiney and new again. Of course you don't have
    to de-coke engines much anymore so the process isn't needed much. I used it
    a few years ago after I'd mentioned to him that I had a car that I couldn't
    get one of the spark plugs out of. Seems some clown had put an odd plug that
    was too long into it a while before and the couple turns of thread exposed
    in the chamber got a build-up around them preventing removal.

    > Do you have too worry too much about how it runs. I would check if
    > they do the emissions check on a car of that age. The rest of a WOF
    > looks at running and safety gear.

    Turns out that there was a vacuum pipe off under the airfilter (goes to a
    little gizmo that I'm unfamiliar with in the filter housing). It must have
    been knocked off by the guy who replaced the camshaft and belt for me a
    while back (it's been standing since). Of course I didn't discover it until
    *after* I'd swapped carbs for one that I knew was a bit 'ropey' (has
    compensator pump problems). Now I've got it sorted I need to swap the carbs
    back.... Just got to wait until my back's capable of leaning under a bonnet
    for an hour again. Probably be a few days at least, it's really giving my
    gyp at the moment.

    Back on topic.... Is that computer that we built a few years ago still going
    alright? Hopefully so, we used good quality components.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Aug 19, 2011
  14. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 20/08/2011 10:06 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:

    >>> 'Italian tune up', is that what you call it?<g>

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Sorry Shaun that was a whooosh :>)

    > Heh! You 'whooshed' me? Bugger.
    >
    >> An "Italian tune-up" is to pour oil (upper cylinder lubricant) down
    >> the carb, wait for a while, then drive down the road at 100 mph in
    >> first gear.

    > I just Googled it. Got it now. Along similar lines, a mate of mine who's an
    > engineer but is often called upon to work on cars (which he doesn't enjoy)
    > had his own system to 'de-coke' an engine; He'd empty the windscreen washer
    > of any liquid (or temp-fit a unit he had there for the job, not all cars had
    > windscreen washers then) and then fill it with 80% water, 20% methylated
    > spirits and carry a container of the mix with him. He'd then divert the
    > output of the pump so that it went straight into the throttle throat.
    >
    > Then, if it had a tow-bar he'd hook up a trailer with as much weight on it
    > as possible. He'd then proceed to drive it around putting the engine under
    > load as much as he could and keep squirting his water / meths mix until the
    > engine would falter, then stop squirting it until it cleared, the squirt it
    > again....
    >
    > He reckons that by the time you've put a gallon of that mix through the
    > combustion chambers are all shiney and new again. Of course you don't have
    > to de-coke engines much anymore so the process isn't needed much. I used it
    > a few years ago after I'd mentioned to him that I had a car that I couldn't
    > get one of the spark plugs out of. Seems some clown had put an odd plug that
    > was too long into it a while before and the couple turns of thread exposed
    > in the chamber got a build-up around them preventing removal.
    >
    >> Do you have too worry too much about how it runs. I would check if
    >> they do the emissions check on a car of that age. The rest of a WOF
    >> looks at running and safety gear.

    > Turns out that there was a vacuum pipe off under the airfilter (goes to a
    > little gizmo that I'm unfamiliar with in the filter housing). It must have
    > been knocked off by the guy who replaced the camshaft and belt for me a
    > while back (it's been standing since). Of course I didn't discover it until
    > *after* I'd swapped carbs for one that I knew was a bit 'ropey' (has
    > compensator pump problems). Now I've got it sorted I need to swap the carbs
    > back.... Just got to wait until my back's capable of leaning under a bonnet
    > for an hour again. Probably be a few days at least, it's really giving my
    > gyp at the moment.
    >
    > Back on topic.... Is that computer that we built a few years ago still going
    > alright? Hopefully so, we used good quality components.
    >
    > Cheers,

    You have mail !

    bugalugs, Aug 20, 2011
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    [snip]
    > You have mail !

    Cool. I'll get to it when I can. I've just had the most painful weekend that
    I can remember and am just recovering (browsing here while I sit with a
    coffee, spent most of the last ~48 hours in/on my bed). I've been pushing
    myself too hard trying to get this car bloody ready to sell and, boy, am I
    paying for it now! Just a shame I haven't finished, or finished the laptop
    I'm sorting out to sell to cover some of the money the car's cost me....

    I need another lie-down, will reply to you as and when I can. :-/

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2011