    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Hi BillyW,
    That would be right - you can't buy hubs anymore because switches are so
    cheap.
    But the water analogy - it will fill up with a lot of traffic, but the same
    traffic is there after I turn it back on. It doesn't 'retain' the 'water'.
    Why does it seem to 'clear' after rebooting?

    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Slarty Bartfast

    Gary K Guest

    Sounds like maybe a transistor, power supply, etc... is beginning to fail,
    and then when you turn off the hub for a while it has a chance to cool off.
    Once cooled a little bit it then works normally until it begins to overheat
    again.

    I'm assuming you have already put a sniffer on your network to measure
    traffic to eliminate things like packet storms.

    Gary K, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Slarty Bartfast

    Gary K Guest

    Since some of the really good sniffers are free I see no reason for even the
    poorest of people/organisations not to have them.

    While someone may use a hub rather than a switch for financial reasons--i.e.
    got used hubs for free rather than spening money on switches--anyone can get
    something like Ethereal.

    Gary K, Sep 2, 2003