    Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?

    If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    takes a 4 year break?

    Janet Moorehouse, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Janet Moorehouse

    Charlie Self Guest

    Janet Moorhouse asks:
    >>Term-limits were put into place because of FDR. Have we reached the

    era
    when they should be abolished? It is unfortunate that Bill Clinton
    could not run against GW Bush instead of Kerry, because he is probably
    the only candidate who could have beaten him.

    Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?

    If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    takes a 4 year break? <<

    Term limits should stay as they are, or be changed to a single term.
    We've got single term limits for governors in my state; recently, there
    was an attempt to change that. The previous governor, though, was the
    living argument against that, as he came very close to destroying the
    state's economy with unncessary tax refunds and expensive expanded
    business welfare programs. Sound familiar?

    Charlie Self, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Janet Moorehouse

    BernardZ Guest

    In article <Xns9614166819E8E7@204.153.244.141>,
    says...

    > Term-limits were put into place because of FDR. Have we reached the era
    > when they should be abolished? It is unfortunate that Bill Clinton
    > could not run against GW Bush instead of Kerry, because he is probably
    > the only candidate who could have beaten him.
    >
    > Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?
    >
    > If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    > takes a 4 year break?

    Do you believe that this is a subject suitable for the following
    newsgroups? If so please explain why?

    rec.video.desktop
    rec.photo.digital
    rec.photo.equipment.35mm
    alt.culture.alaska.sylvia-sullivan
    soc.culture.jewish

    --
    Life is always changing, that is what makes it interesting.

    Observations of Bernard - No 72

    BernardZ, Mar 9, 2005
  4. On 2005-03-09 02:10:52 -0500, Janet Moorehouse
    <> said:

    > Term-limits were put into place because of FDR. Have we reached the era
    > when they should be abolished? It is unfortunate that Bill Clinton
    > could not run against GW Bush instead of Kerry, because he is probably
    > the only candidate who could have beaten him.
    >
    > Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?
    >
    > If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    > takes a 4 year break?

    stop feeding the trolls
    --
    Michael | "You're going to need a bigger boat."

    Michael Weinstein, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Janet Moorehouse

    ian lincoln Guest

    "Janet Moorehouse" <> wrote in message

    > Term-limits were put into place because of FDR. Have we reached the era
    > when they should be abolished? It is unfortunate that Bill Clinton
    > could not run against GW Bush instead of Kerry, because he is probably
    > the only candidate who could have beaten him.
    >
    > Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?
    >
    > If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    > takes a 4 year break?

    if he is having heart problems now god nows how long he would last if he had
    the presidency again.

    ian lincoln, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Janet Moorehouse

    M@@wrk Guest

    "ian lincoln" <> wrote in message

    > "Janet Moorehouse" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Term-limits were put into place because of FDR. Have we reached the era
    > > when they should be abolished? It is unfortunate that Bill Clinton
    > > could not run against GW Bush instead of Kerry, because he is probably
    > > the only candidate who could have beaten him.
    > >
    > > Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?
    > >
    > > If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    > > takes a 4 year break?

    > if he is having heart problems now god nows how long he would last if he

    had
    > the presidency again.

    Dick Cheney's had a couple open heart surgeries, if I recall, and he just
    signed up for another 4 years as vp.

    M@@wrk, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Janet Moorehouse

    Jackie Guest

    They should certainly be lifted off this newsgroup!!!!

    Jackie, Mar 9, 2005
  8. "Janet Moorehouse" <> wrote in message

    > Term-limits were put into place because of FDR. Have we reached the era
    > when they should be abolished? It is unfortunate that Bill Clinton
    > could not run against GW Bush instead of Kerry, because he is probably
    > the only candidate who could have beaten him.
    >
    > Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?
    >
    > If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    > takes a 4 year break?

    It's amazing how this subject is always brought up by the party in power
    during a presidents second term....."Lets eliminate the two term limit so
    Bush can run again." And 8 years ago, it was, "Lets eliminate the two term
    limit so Clinton can run again".......The same thing applies to complaints
    about the veracity of the voting machines, and to complaints about the
    electoral college method of choosing a president.......At 70, this is where
    I came in......

    William Graham, Mar 9, 2005
  9. Janet Moorehouse

    Donald Link Guest

    Who give a flying ****.

    Donald Link, Mar 11, 2005
  10. Janet Moorehouse

    DeeW Guest

    Read it closer Rev.

    DeeW, Mar 12, 2005

  11. >On 09 Mar 2005 07:10:52 GMT, Janet Moorehouse
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Term-limits were put into place because of FDR. Have we reached the era
    >>when they should be abolished? It is unfortunate that Bill Clinton
    >>could not run against GW Bush instead of Kerry, because he is probably
    >>the only candidate who could have beaten him.
    >>
    >>Should term-limits be lifted from the US Presidency?
    >>
    >>If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    >>takes a 4 year break?

    Hell no!!!! What we really need is term limits on members of
    Congress. My choice is 2 terms for US Senate and 4 terms for US
    House, and no repeats just because they drop out for a while. That's
    the only way we can get rid of legalized bribery by the big money
    interests, and return the lawmakers attention to the general public.

    Olin McDaniel

    Olin K. McDaniel, Mar 14, 2005
  12. In article <>, Olin K.
    McDaniel <> wrote:

    > Hell no!!!! What we really need is term limits on members of
    > Congress. My choice is 2 terms for US Senate and 4 terms for US
    > House, and no repeats just because they drop out for a while. That's
    > the only way we can get rid of legalized bribery by the big money
    > interests, and return the lawmakers attention to the general public.

    Absolutely. If you look at the founding father's writings (Jefferson in
    particular) it's clear they never intended "politician" to be a career.
    A sucessful and well-respected citizen would do his civic duty for a
    couple of years, then go back to his true avocation.

    it's an oft repeated truism that Democracies devolve into the citizens
    voting themselves "bread and circuses." Well, "our" representatives
    have taken care of themselves first - take a look at a Senators
    retirement benefits.

    Or, lets try this - ban those with a law degree from holding public
    office for a couple of generations, and see what happens.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 16, 2005
  13. "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Olin K.
    > McDaniel <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hell no!!!! What we really need is term limits on members of
    >> Congress. My choice is 2 terms for US Senate and 4 terms for US
    >> House, and no repeats just because they drop out for a while. That's
    >> the only way we can get rid of legalized bribery by the big money
    >> interests, and return the lawmakers attention to the general public.

    > Absolutely. If you look at the founding father's writings (Jefferson in
    > particular) it's clear they never intended "politician" to be a career.
    > A sucessful and well-respected citizen would do his civic duty for a
    > couple of years, then go back to his true avocation.
    >
    > it's an oft repeated truism that Democracies devolve into the citizens
    > voting themselves "bread and circuses." Well, "our" representatives
    > have taken care of themselves first - take a look at a Senators
    > retirement benefits.
    >
    > Or, lets try this - ban those with a law degree from holding public
    > office for a couple of generations, and see what happens.

    Or force a law, (a constitutional amendment) that demands that all
    politicians be subject to exactly the same laws and restrictions as the
    general public.....That means they will have to pay into social security,
    and live with the same medical and vacation benefits as your average
    postman......

    William Graham, Mar 16, 2005
  14. Janet Moorehouse

    rafeb Guest

    William Graham wrote:

    > Or force a law, (a constitutional amendment) that demands that all
    > politicians be subject to exactly the same laws and restrictions as the
    > general public.....That means they will have to pay into social security,
    > and live with the same medical and vacation benefits as your average
    > postman......

    I like that. Let's do it.
    Bush and Cheney and DeLay first.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafeb, Mar 16, 2005
  15. Janet Moorehouse

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:13:47 -0800, "William Graham"
    <> wrote:

    >"Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Olin K.
    >> McDaniel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hell no!!!! What we really need is term limits on members of
    >>> Congress. My choice is 2 terms for US Senate and 4 terms for US
    >>> House, and no repeats just because they drop out for a while. That's
    >>> the only way we can get rid of legalized bribery by the big money
    >>> interests, and return the lawmakers attention to the general public.

    >> Absolutely. If you look at the founding father's writings (Jefferson in
    >> particular) it's clear they never intended "politician" to be a career.
    >> A sucessful and well-respected citizen would do his civic duty for a
    >> couple of years, then go back to his true avocation.
    >>
    >> it's an oft repeated truism that Democracies devolve into the citizens
    >> voting themselves "bread and circuses." Well, "our" representatives
    >> have taken care of themselves first - take a look at a Senators
    >> retirement benefits.
    >>
    >> Or, lets try this - ban those with a law degree from holding public
    >> office for a couple of generations, and see what happens.

    >Or force a law, (a constitutional amendment) that demands that all
    >politicians be subject to exactly the same laws and restrictions as the
    >general public.....That means they will have to pay into social security,
    >and live with the same medical and vacation benefits as your average
    >postman......

    What you want is a law to make *all* provisions in *all* laws to apply
    equally to *all* the people.
    Ain't gonna happen.
    Think about it.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Mar 17, 2005
  16. Janet Moorehouse

    Alan Browne Guest

    William Graham wrote:

    > general public.....That means they will have to pay into social security,
    > and live with the same medical and vacation benefits as your average
    > postman......

    From outward appearances, Bush has indeed "gone postal".

    Back to regular programming?

    Alan Browne, Mar 17, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    says...
    > >Or force a law, (a constitutional amendment) that demands that all
    > >politicians be subject to exactly the same laws and restrictions as the
    > >general public.....That means they will have to pay into social security,
    > >and live with the same medical and vacation benefits as your average
    > >postman......
    > >

    > What you want is a law to make *all* provisions in *all* laws to apply
    > equally to *all* the people.
    > Ain't gonna happen.
    > Think about it.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Change "g" to "a"

    They will simply call you a communist and ship you off to "gitmo".
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Chris Phillipo, Mar 17, 2005
  18. In article <>, William Graham
    <> wrote:

    > Or force a law, (a constitutional amendment) that demands that all
    > politicians be subject to exactly the same laws and restrictions as the
    > general public.....That means they will have to pay into social security,
    > and live with the same medical and vacation benefits as your average
    > postman......

    Actually, postal workers get significantly better than average benefits.

    Next door to me in New Nersey, it's fairly common for a mayor or other
    mid-level "public servant" to double dip his pension. That is, his last
    year in office he'll be mayor AND assistant auxilliary dog catcher.
    When he does retire or leave office, he'll collect BOTH pensions.

    There have been recent moves to eliminate this, leading to the most
    amazing statement I've heard on the radio lately:

    in an interview, a small town mayor stated it would be UNFAIR to
    eliminate things like this, as people had chosen and prepared for a
    career in politics, BASED on double pensions and such.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 18, 2005
  19. "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, William Graham
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Or force a law, (a constitutional amendment) that demands that all
    >> politicians be subject to exactly the same laws and restrictions as the
    >> general public.....That means they will have to pay into social security,
    >> and live with the same medical and vacation benefits as your average
    >> postman......

    > Actually, postal workers get significantly better than average benefits.
    >
    > Next door to me in New Nersey, it's fairly common for a mayor or other
    > mid-level "public servant" to double dip his pension. That is, his last
    > year in office he'll be mayor AND assistant auxilliary dog catcher.
    > When he does retire or leave office, he'll collect BOTH pensions.
    >
    > There have been recent moves to eliminate this, leading to the most
    > amazing statement I've heard on the radio lately:
    >
    > in an interview, a small town mayor stated it would be UNFAIR to
    > eliminate things like this, as people had chosen and prepared for a
    > career in politics, BASED on double pensions and such.

    I thought that it was against federal law for anyone to get two or more
    social security checks....As far as double pensions are concerned, I believe
    that if you earned them, then you should get them. In my own case, I get a
    social security check, and also income from my private IRA funds that I
    contributed to all of my working life. But you only have to contribute to
    social security for 10 years in order to qualify for a check upon
    retirement. Had I worked under one name and social security number for ten
    years, and then changed identities and worked under a different name and
    number for another ten or more, and then collected two social security
    checks upon retirement, that would be illegal. In the same way, I believe it
    should be illegal for any government employee to collect two independently
    earned government retirement checks. If they work part time for another
    non-government employer, then any retirement fund they earn that way is
    permissible for them to collect. But to work two government jobs
    simultaneously and collect two government retirement checks is, and/or
    should be illegal. Our congressmen earn more than enough money to be able to
    pay into their own retirement fund. I paid into my own retirement fund, and
    I earned an average Silicone Valley engineer's salary all of my life. I now
    get about 4 times as much money from my IRA as I do from social security. If
    I can do that, then so can congressmen, who earn more than I did all of my
    life. Half of them don't even show up for work half the time, and they take
    off for months every year when congress isn't even in session. They've got a
    hell of a nerve collecting their full salaries for the rest of their lives
    when they are (effectively booted) out of office. They, just like you and I,
    should only get the retirement money that they earn by working during their
    working lives.......

    William Graham, Mar 18, 2005
  20. Janet Moorehouse

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel <> wrote:
    >>>If not, should a former 2-term President be allowed to run again if he
    >>>takes a 4 year break?

    >Hell no!!!! What we really need is term limits on members of
    >Congress. My choice is 2 terms for US Senate and 4 terms for US
    >House, and no repeats just because they drop out for a while. That's
    >the only way we can get rid of legalized bribery by the big money
    >interests, and return the lawmakers attention to the general public.

    That's been tried. The result is that legislators end up MORE
    dependent upon lobbyists because they no longer have the experience
    and knowledge that comes with long service.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Mar 19, 2005