    require a clearance. Does anyone know if there is a procedure to get a
    clearance without being sponsored?

    Rick
    Rick, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Rick wrote:
    > I have looked at many jobs which require a US Gov Clearance. It seems
    > like it is a catch 22. You have to get a job to get a clearance but
    > to get a clearance you have to have a job the has access to
    > information which would require a clearance. Does anyone know if
    > there is a procedure to get a clearance without being sponsored?
    >
    > Rick

    Join the military.

    --
    Fris "Up in the air, Junior Birdmen" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 30, 2003

  3. I've noticed there are a lot of jobs being posted that require an Active
    Security Clearance. And you are right, you can't get a security clearance
    without already working for a company that can get it for you. Perhaps if
    there aren't enough candidates to fill these jobs, they'll hire in H1Bs.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Oct 30, 2003
  4. its like:

    'I can't hire you because you don't have experience'
    'How do I get experience?'
    'Work. Get a job'
    'How can I get a job without experience?'

    NEW NAME, OLD GUY, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I currently work for a county Sheriff's department which gave me the
    opportunity to speak with the directory of the local FBI office. According
    to him an active security clearance is not supposed to transfer from job to
    job either. I think companies look for the active clearance because it shows
    that the person already meets the requirements and could go back through the
    process again for their company.

    Joining the military would work. Unfortunately I am 33 and have a 10 month
    old girl these two factors limit the military for me.

    Also a job with the FBI would allow me to get my clearance however, that
    requires a BS. I have two Associates degrees and 10 years of solid
    experience but that will not get me in the door at the FBI.

    So I pose the question here in hopes that someone will no of a method which
    I have not explored yet.

    Rick
    Rick, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Rick

    billyw Guest

    eeeyuck... dont you have to feel a man if you join the mil.

    billyw, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Rick

    Consultant Guest

    that's only in the navy

    Consultant, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Rick

    S. O'Brien Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > I currently work for a county Sheriff's department which gave me the
    > opportunity to speak with the directory of the local FBI office. According
    > to him an active security clearance is not supposed to transfer from job

    > job either. I think companies look for the active clearance because it

    shows
    > that the person already meets the requirements and could go back through

    the
    > process again for their company.
    >
    > Joining the military would work. Unfortunately I am 33 and have a 10 month
    > old girl these two factors limit the military for me.
    >
    > Also a job with the FBI would allow me to get my clearance however, that
    > requires a BS.

    The FBI requires BS?? HEY!! Whoda thunk?!? lol oh wait... you mean the
    degree!! I thought you meant... well you know... Bull fodder hehehe...
    sorry couldnt resist.

    here in Canada, you can get a security clearance from the local police
    station... costs about $25... some employers will pay it, others will not.
    I just show employers mine from the military, and even though it is expired,
    they seem satisfied with that. Other companies may not be.

    S. O'Brien, Oct 30, 2003
  9. Rick

    Kendal Emery Guest

    But I like feeling men.....

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Oct 30, 2003
  10. =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 30, 2003
  11. Rick

    Jtyc Guest

    > But I like feeling men.....

    I don't care what they say about you, you're ok in my book.
    Jtyc, Oct 30, 2003
  12. Rick

    Sir Kozz Guest

    No, you have to be sponsored.(I mean are you going to pay $10-40,000 for a
    SBI) normally your prospective employer will have you sign a contract, and
    fill out the BI or SBI (background investigation, special BI) forms, in the
    contract their offer of employment will be contingent on your successful
    passing the BI or SBI for the required clearance. That's the way it works at
    least at EDS. Note that because of your age that they are probably going to
    do a SBI which can take up to 18 months, if you were 21 and just out of
    school they probably would just do a NAC (national agency check) and as long
    as no arrests or convictions show up your ok. You also have to be a US
    citizen to get a secret or higher clearance.

    Thanks, Chris

    BTW since 911 SBI's have taken an average of 2 years to complete, and once
    you have a clearance the BI or SBI on which its based is good for ten years
    and IS transferable.

    Sir Kozz, Oct 31, 2003
  13. Rick

    JaR Guest

    "S. O'Brien" <> wrote in message
    > here in Canada, you can get a security clearance from the local police
    > station... costs about $25...

    ROTFLMAO!!!

    Oh, $Deity! That's FUNNY!!!

    JaR |-D
    JaR, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Rick

    KLXrider Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:27:38 -0500, "Rick" <> wrote:

    > According
    >to him an active security clearance is not supposed to transfer from job to
    >job either. I think companies look for the active clearance because it shows
    >that the person already meets the requirements and could go back through the
    >process again for their company.

    The clearance doesn't move from job to job, but the investigation
    does. It costs about 30k to have an investigation performed on an
    individual with no security experience. If you are someone they want
    to hire they will perform the investigation.

    Whoever told you that you need a BS to work for the FBI is full of
    hooey. They are just another government agency and can hire at the
    technician level as well as the engineering level. The key here is
    they want to have you working for them. It is never automatic getting
    a government job. If you don't know someone or bring a spectacular
    resume to the table you will not be hired.

    I have worked for the government in one capacity or another for 13
    years and deal with the NSA and FBI on a daily basis.

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18
    KLXrider, Nov 3, 2003
  15. Rick

    Jtyc Guest

    > I have worked for the government in one capacity or another for 13
    > years and deal with the NSA and FBI on a daily basis.

    Can you get my parking tickets cleared up?
    Jtyc, Nov 4, 2003
  16. Rick

    KLXrider Guest

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:53:10 -0800, "Jtyc" <>
    wrote:

    >Can you get my parking tickets cleared up?

    No, but they would like to talk to you about your gun fetish.

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18
    KLXrider, Nov 4, 2003
  17. Rick

    Jtyc Guest

    > No, but they would like to talk to you about your gun fetish.

    I think I'm going to buy the Smith and Wesson 627: http://tinyurl.com/tm5u

    It's between that and the 629: http://tinyurl.com/tm62

    I'm leaning towards the 627 though.
    Jtyc, Nov 4, 2003
  18. Rick

    Jeff Rush Guest

    Right but like a security clearance in Canada measns you can speak French
    and drink Beers eh?

    Jeff Rush, Nov 5, 2003
  19. Rick

    S. O'Brien Guest

    "Jeff Rush" <> wrote in message
    > Right but like a security clearance in Canada measns you can speak French
    > and drink Beers eh?

    ummm nope... I dont speak french nor do I drink beer.

    seriously, the security clearance here is also called a reliability check
    (background check to see if you have been charged with a felon or whatever
    and to see if there are any outstanding warrants for your arrest).

    Sue *I drink Rye thank you* MCNGP #69
    S. O'Brien, Nov 6, 2003
  20. Well, I'm guessing by security clearance here he is talking Top Secret or
    the equivalent, which can involve a *very* thorough background
    investigation, including having agents being sent out to interview people
    who knew you... In some cases, this process can take as long as a year.
    (Primarily due to all the red tape involved...) (Confidential and Secret
    clearances are somewhat easier to obtain...)

    These investigations also cost quite a bit as well, which is why many
    companies would rather have someone with a clearance instead of paying for
    one. But the clearance (at least military clearances) "belongs" to the
    individual, not the company; if you move to another company, it goes with
    you. However, the TS clearance does need to be maintained; you need to be
    recertified every five years, so if you do get a clearance, hold on to
    copies of all your paperwork - it will save you time when you need to be
    recertified!

    Peace.
    Nathaniel Banks, Nov 14, 2003