OT: Satellite radio

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Briscobar, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Briscobar

    Briscobar Guest

    This is the kind of post I'd make to the s00per sekr1t site, but seeing as
    it's currently being rebuilt, I'm posting here.

    Any of you have satellite radio? Sirius or XM? If so, what do you think
    about it? I have DirecTV, and the music channels are XM. There's probly 40
    or so on DirecTV, and many more on the "real" XM, and I'm kind of addicted.
    Minimal commercials, wide selection of music, blah blah blah. However, as
    many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would
    probably be the one I get if/when I do decide to spring for it. I know all
    about the cost differences, sports packages, etc, but I'm looking for any
    user reviews, especially from people I trust, not some random message board
    on the InterNeil. So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
    in particular, if you have any experience with it?

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    www.mcngp.com's milkshake is better than yours.

    Briscobar, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Re: Satellite radio

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message
    > This is the kind of post I'd make to the s00per sekr1t site, but seeing as
    > it's currently being rebuilt, I'm posting here.
    >
    > Any of you have satellite radio? Sirius or XM? If so, what do you think
    > about it? I have DirecTV, and the music channels are XM. There's probly 40
    > or so on DirecTV, and many more on the "real" XM, and I'm kind of
    > addicted.
    > Minimal commercials, wide selection of music, blah blah blah. However, as
    > many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would
    > probably be the one I get if/when I do decide to spring for it. I know all
    > about the cost differences, sports packages, etc, but I'm looking for any
    > user reviews, especially from people I trust, not some random message
    > board
    > on the InterNeil. So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
    > in particular, if you have any experience with it?

    I worked in radio for a number of years, so I'm a bit biased, and a bit
    spoiled. Every song I ever wanted / liked I already have digitized from the
    station computer. New stuff just doesn't seem to compare.

    I'm not to big on pay for content scenarios.

    Personally, I'd like to see a piece of software / hardware that connects to
    XM and rebroadcasts the channels on the InterNeil.

    For music, the winamp shoutcast scenario was pretty worthwhile.

    Stern is pretty cool, though. That might be intriguing enough to make it
    worth time and stress out of one's life to work to pay for.

    I haven't checked it in a while,

    PC LOAD LETTER, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Briscobar

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Satellite radio

    > many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would

    O&A is on XM.

    Jtyc, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Re: Satellite radio

    That last message went out too soon, inadvertently hit the enter key or
    something.

    Picking up where I left off...

    If there are any commercials on Sirius, and you aren't looking for Sirius
    specific content [Stern], I'd say don't get it.

    I haven't checked shoutcast in a while. If it's still alive, I'd check that.
    InterNeil radio seems like the way to go for music. Anything in that path is
    sort of a cool way to find music in your genre, and escape the 'mainstream
    makes choices for you' avenue.

    I'm also not big on commercial local radio. It almost never fails, you get
    one song you like, then 12 minutes of commercials, then songs you don't
    like, try to surf the channels -- and all of them are on commercials, and
    turn the radio off out of annoyance.

    There's a new trend since FCC deregulation, where theres actually just a
    computer in a room, and all of the interviews, morning shows, etc, are
    totally from corporate office in Nantucket, completely faked.

    And of course, the eternal struggle to keep the DJs from being legit because
    some tie-wielder is afraid of what they say.

    Television, just can't watch it without a DVR any more, and there's too much
    same sameness of same-ity on the more of the same channel.

    The overwhelming popularity of the new InterNeil, however, may surpass all
    other forms of media, catapulting Neil to levels of obscurity never before
    comprehended. Wireless Digital InterNeil is the future of media
    transmission.

    PC LOAD LETTER, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Briscobar

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of Briscobar:

    > So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
    > in particular, if you have any experience with it?

    Snot satellite, but I'm growing very fond of this:

    http://www.independentartistscompany.com/

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Briscobar

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Briscobar

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: Satellite radio

    PC LOAD LETTER <http://www.planetoftheheads.com/> rambled:

    I'm going to quote both your posts here....

    > I worked in radio for a number of years, so I'm a bit biased, and a
    > bit spoiled. Every song I ever wanted / liked I already have
    > digitized from the station computer. New stuff just doesn't seem to
    > compare.
    >
    > I'm not to big on pay for content scenarios.

    Neither was I. Until I realized that I pay for DirecTV every month, when I
    could just as easily head up to my roof and put up an antenna and get free
    HD OTA broadcasts. While free stuff is awesome, you get what you pay for.
    I'd be limited to probably 10 channels. So basically, I pay my monthly fee,
    and get a much superior product. I'm not saying this will be the case with
    Sirius (or XM), that's how I'm looking at it for now.

    > Personally, I'd like to see a piece of software / hardware that
    > connects to XM and rebroadcasts the channels on the InterNeil.

    Uh, you can stream Sirius over the InterNeil as a 3-day trial.

    > For music, the winamp shoutcast scenario was pretty worthwhile.

    When I was in college, I did use this a bit. I was heavy into "indie" music
    for a while, and this was pretty much the only way to get it. Podcasting and
    all that stuff now simply doesn't interest me.

    > Stern is pretty cool, though. That might be intriguing enough to make
    > it worth time and stress out of one's life to work to pay for.

    Yes, if it wasn't for Stern, I wouldn't even be considering the switch to
    satellite radio. He's not the ONLY reason I want to get it, but he's a major
    reason.

    > That last message went out too soon, inadvertently hit the enter key
    > or something.
    >
    > Picking up where I left off...
    >
    > If there are any commercials on Sirius, and you aren't looking for
    > Sirius specific content [Stern], I'd say don't get it.

    I believe there are commercial-free stations and commercial-light stations.
    For example, Howard 100 and Howard 101 are both commercial-light. Stern's
    daily show will have commercials, but nowhere near the 20 min/hour he used
    to have on his old show. Other stations are totally commercial-free, I
    believe.

    > I haven't checked shoutcast in a while. If it's still alive, I'd
    > check that. InterNeil radio seems like the way to go for music.

    That's well and good, but what do I do when I'm not sitting at my computer?
    I guess I could download stuff to my mp3 player, plug it into my car and be
    on my way, but that seems an awful lot like work to me. And as you can tell
    by my presence in this hear chat rum during work hours, I do as little work
    as possible.

    > Anything in that path is sort of a cool way to find music in your
    > genre, and escape the 'mainstream makes choices for you' avenue.

    I will check out Shoutcast, or its descendants. But the problem of
    portability remains.

    > I'm also not big on commercial local radio. It almost never fails,
    > you get one song you like, then 12 minutes of commercials, then songs
    > you don't like, try to surf the channels -- and all of them are on
    > commercials, and turn the radio off out of annoyance.

    Yes. Praise $deity for CDs. I rarely listen to the radio anymore for the
    exact situation you just described. It's annoying as hell, and every station
    seems to take a commercial break at the same time.

    > And of course, the eternal struggle to keep the DJs from being legit
    > because some tie-wielder is afraid of what they say.

    This is why I liked Stern so much in the last couple years. And why Opie and
    Anthony were so damn funny (although I haven't heard them since they got the
    boot in Boston).

    > Television, just can't watch it without a DVR any more, and there's
    > too much same sameness of same-ity on the more of the same channel.

    I also have TiVo, and it is far and away the best piece of electronic
    equipment in my house. I'd be willing to give up my refrigerator before I
    give up my TiVo. It really is true what they say...once you have a TiVo, it
    totally changes the way you watch TV. Almost never do I watch a commercial.
    And I watch TV for maybe 3 hours or so on a Saturday, catching up on a
    week's worth of shows.

    Relating this to Sirius, if and when I decide to shell out for it, this is
    the unit I'll be buying:
    http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Pro
    ductAsset&cid=1130363753674

    tiny: http://tinyurl.com/c6gpq

    Yeah, a little expensive. But it's basically a portable TiVo for your radio.
    As my boy 50 would say, P.I.M.P.

    > The overwhelming popularity of the new InterNeil, however, may
    > surpass all other forms of media, catapulting Neil to levels of
    > obscurity never before comprehended. Wireless Digital InterNeil is
    > the future of media transmission.

    One suggestion, for the next release of the InterNeil: TTP compatability.
    Telepathic Transfer Protocol, that is. I would like to see the InterNeil
    support telepathy. Then, no one else would have to know how obscure Neil has
    become, unless they thought about it. Which I am now. But I can't see any
    InterNeil web addresses in my mind's eye. Probably because they're too
    obscure.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    Be the lucky 12th customer to visit www.mcngp.com, and you can win a
    bucket of salted slugs!

    Briscobar, Jan 9, 2006
  8. Briscobar

    CBIC Guest

    In news:Xns974678BAB3177Talleywhacker@207.46.248.16,
    JaR <> embarrassed himself by saying:
    > Echoed forth from the dank caverns of
    > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, the plaintive wail of Briscobar:
    >
    >> So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
    >> in particular, if you have any experience with it?

    > Snot satellite, but I'm growing very fond of this:
    >
    > http://www.independentartistscompany.com/

    Sirius is pretty cool. One of my users was streaming music from it onto her
    PC so I hacked her password and now I listen to it for free. If you want her
    account info send me an email and you can try it out.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38

    CBIC, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Briscobar

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of JaR:

    > Snot satellite, but I'm growing very fond of this:
    >
    > http://www.independentartistscompany.com/

    Ok, ok, I just read your response to ol' pcloadmcbob.

    Nevermind.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Re: Satellite radio

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message

    > I'm going to quote both your posts here....
    >
    >> I worked in radio for a number of years, so I'm a bit biased, and a
    >> bit spoiled. Every song I ever wanted / liked I already have
    >> digitized from the station computer. New stuff just doesn't seem to
    >> compare.
    >>
    >> I'm not to big on pay for content scenarios.

    > Neither was I. Until I realized that I pay for DirecTV every month, when I
    > could just as easily head up to my roof and put up an antenna and get free
    > HD OTA broadcasts. While free stuff is awesome, you get what you pay for.
    > I'd be limited to probably 10 channels. So basically, I pay my monthly
    > fee,
    > and get a much superior product. I'm not saying this will be the case with
    > Sirius (or XM), that's how I'm looking at it for now.

    It all depends on what you watch. I find most of the stuff on cable / dish
    to be cliche. For some reason, the real world is looking more interesting,
    and the TV lookng less interesting.

    TV is sort of antiquated anyway. We need something better. SexVision, where
    you can have sex, and MeatVision, where you can have meat. MoneyVision would
    be cool, too.

    I think those three things, instant delivery of sex, meat, and money, that's
    what we all need. Well, I suppose beer and drugs should be delivered, but
    that's not a vision thing, that's got to come into a tube you plug into your

    > One suggestion, for the next release of the InterNeil: TTP compatability.
    > Telepathic Transfer Protocol, that is. I would like to see the InterNeil
    > support telepathy. Then, no one else would have to know how obscure Neil
    > has
    > become, unless they thought about it. Which I am now. But I can't see any
    > InterNeil web addresses in my mind's eye. Probably because they're too
    > obscure.

    I'll add TTPs to InterNeil at some point, along with face recognition and
    smell transmission neocubist waffletronic hamsterlick manipulation
    therapy...

    BUT... we're starting slow with the development cycle on InterNeil Explorer.
    Like today, I just added an icon, which will be used on future versions, in
    the future.

    Microcephalic S. Bob
    http://www.planetoftheheads.com/customers/interneil/

    PC LOAD LETTER, Jan 9, 2006
  11. "CBIC" <> wrote in message

    > Sirius is pretty cool. One of my users was streaming music from it onto
    > her PC so I hacked her password and now I listen to it for free. If you
    > want her account info send me an email and you can try it out.
    > --
    > aka
    > Doom MCNGP #38
    > Is that a burdizzo in your pocket or are you just glad to see me.

    What's your email?

    http://www.roblindman.com/contact.php = paste

    PC LOAD LETTER, Jan 9, 2006
  12. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in news:#cdZA
    $:

    > InterNeil.

    I am secretly Al Gore....

    --
    InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Help stamp out, eliminate and abolish redundancy!

    Neil, Jan 9, 2006
  13. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    Re: Satellite radio

    did you hear "PC LOAD LETTER" <http://www.planetoftheheads.com/> say in

    > I worked in radio for a number of years,

    I had no idea you were that tiny

    --
    InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - I won't smile till the world says it's sorry.

    Neil, Jan 9, 2006
  14. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    Re: Satellite radio

    > Sirius over the InterNeil

    The InterNeil will never be serious....um, Sirius....

    --
    InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - "Buy me a drink?" asked Tom dryly.

    Neil, Jan 9, 2006
  15. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    Re: Satellite radio

    > One suggestion, for the next release of the InterNeil: TTP
    > compatability. Telepathic Transfer Protocol, that is. I would like to
    > see the InterNeil support telepathy. Then, no one else would have to
    > know how obscure Neil has become, unless they thought about it. Which
    > I am now. But I can't see any InterNeil web addresses in my mind's
    > eye. Probably because they're too

    trust me, the last thing you really want is me ni your brain....

    --
    InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut.

    Neil, Jan 9, 2006
  16. Briscobar

    Guest

    > Any of you have satellite radio? Sirius or XM? If so, what do you think
    > about it? I have DirecTV, and the music channels are XM. There's probly 40
    > or so on DirecTV, and many more on the "real" XM, and I'm kind of addicted.
    > Minimal commercials, wide selection of music, blah blah blah. However, as
    > many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would
    > probably be the one I get if/when I do decide to spring for it. I know all
    > about the cost differences, sports packages, etc, but I'm looking for any
    > user reviews, especially from people I trust, not some random message board
    > on the InterNeil. So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
    > in particular, if you have any experience with it?

    I've had both nearly since their inceptions.

    I would say get Sirius ONLY for

    - NFL (if you like to listen to the games on the radio, which most
    people don't)
    - Stern
    - NASCAR starting in '07.
    - NPR (except that NPR is widely available on terrestrial radio).

    Otherwise, XM is better all the way around. The XM music content is
    far better in that the playlists are deeper and broader (meaning, more
    artists, and you don't just hear the Top-20 cuts from each artist).
    XM's music library consists of 2 million tracks vs. 500K for Sirius.

    Some people prefer the shallower FM-styled playlists at Sirius --
    because they prefer to hear only music they're familiar with. If that
    is the case, Sirius may be a better choice for music.

    XM's hardware is way, way cooler. The new receivers from Pioneer and
    Samsung will be out in the next month or so and they are going to be
    great. Sirius is basically about 2 years behind in technology.

    , Jan 9, 2006
  17. Briscobar

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Satellite radio

    > InterNeil MCNGP#30

    Is that like, InterPlanet Janet?

    Jtyc, Jan 9, 2006
  18. Briscobar

    kpg Guest

    > I would say get Sirius ONLY for
    >
    > - NFL (if you like to listen to the games on the radio, which most
    > people don't)

    I do when I'm driving.

    > - Stern

    Could do without him.

    > - NASCAR starting in '07.

    Rednecks going around in a circle on the radio...oh yeah.

    > - NPR (except that NPR is widely available on terrestrial radio).

    Waaaaaaaaaay to liberial for my taste, but they do take a story
    a lot further than most, I'll give 'em that.

    kpg

    kpg, Jan 9, 2006
  19. Briscobar

    Frisbee® Guest

    Re: Satellite radio

    > trust me, the last thing you really want is me ni your brain....

    Please! Stop! I'll bring you your shrubbery!

    Frisbee®, Jan 9, 2006
  20. Briscobar

    Briscobar Guest

    <> rambled:

    > I've had both nearly since their inceptions.

    Thanks for the input.

    > I would say get Sirius ONLY for
    >
    > - NFL (if you like to listen to the games on the radio, which most
    > people don't)

    I'd rather watch football, but when I'm in the car during a Pats game, I
    listen to it. They carry local feeds, right? So I'd get the Boston (or
    whoever's home team) feed?

    > - Stern

    Ya.

    > - NASCAR starting in '07.

    Couldn't care less.

    > - NPR (except that NPR is widely available on terrestrial radio).

    I really like the Boston local NPR station (WBUR), but I don't listen to it.
    "All Things Considered" is pretty cool sometimes, though.

    > Otherwise, XM is better all the way around. The XM music content is
    > far better in that the playlists are deeper and broader (meaning, more
    > artists, and you don't just hear the Top-20 cuts from each artist).
    > XM's music library consists of 2 million tracks vs. 500K for Sirius.

    I am interested in the MLB games on XM, though.

    > Some people prefer the shallower FM-styled playlists at Sirius --
    > because they prefer to hear only music they're familiar with. If that
    > is the case, Sirius may be a better choice for music.

    I like to hear new music, and I like pretty much everything, but that
    doesn't mean I want to hear new stuff all the time. I'm actually pretty
    picky about what I REALLY like. Ya, I'll jam to Nickelback or some other
    crappy band, because all music is better than no music. But the stuff I
    REALLY like, I'm pretty picky about. So XM might be better in this respect,
    especially if they have 4x the music catalog.

    > XM's hardware is way, way cooler. The new receivers from Pioneer and
    > Samsung will be out in the next month or so and they are going to be
    > great. Sirius is basically about 2 years behind in technology.

    I'm not necessarily looking for an in-dash receiver, or one that is made
    specifically for the car. I really like the mp3-like capability of the one I
    linked in an earlier post. It's like an mp3 player, but it also TiVo's.
    That's awesome.

    I will look at XM more closely, but I think Stern is the deciding factor for
    me.

    I appreciate the first-hand input.

    --
    KB