    I know it makes a big difference on DVD's, but this is a different situation
    as the box is being fed with Coaxial RF coming into the box. So is there an
    improvement to be had?
    Bill, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Bill

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Re: S Video Out on Digital Cable Box

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:cX7Kb.20123$...
    > This does not directly relate to DVD's, but I know people here can
    > answer the question....
    >
    > My digital cable box (Motorola) has an "S VIDEO OUT" jack coming out
    > the back. Can I assume that hooking this directly to the TV input
    > (instead of coax) would improve the picture?
    >
    > I know it makes a big difference on DVD's, but this is a different
    > situation as the box is being fed with Coaxial RF coming into the box.
    > So is there an improvement to be had?

    The coaxial RF signal coming into the cable box contains both
    proprietary video and audio signals which the cable box decodes. Your TV
    does not have the ability to decode these signals.

    The coaxial video cable coming into your TV from the cable box contains
    both the decoded audio and video information (with the chroma and
    luminance signals combined) from the cable box and must be received on
    either channel 3 or 4 of your TV. The TV's tuner must now decode this
    information.

    An S-video cable going into your TV from the cable box contains separate
    chroma (color) and luminance (picture) signals and this information
    bypasses the tuner in your TV. This results in a much better picture.
    Scot Gardner, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Bill wrote:

    > This does not directly relate to DVD's, but I know people here can answer
    > the question....
    >
    > My digital cable box (Motorola) has an "S VIDEO OUT" jack coming out the
    > back. Can I assume that hooking this directly to the TV input (instead of
    > coax) would improve the picture?
    >
    > I know it makes a big difference on DVD's, but this is a different situation
    > as the box is being fed with Coaxial RF coming into the box. So is there an
    > improvement to be had?

    Yes, my PVR box has an S output and I notice an immediate improvement in
    the picture. Everything looked much better, not as blurry and drab as
    composite. I was impressed. I knew S-video improved DVD and LD
    playback, but I didn't know what the cable box could do for the signal.
    Must have a great comb filter.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Bill

    jay b Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> This does not directly relate to DVD's, but I know people here can answer
    >> the question....
    >>
    >> My digital cable box (Motorola) has an "S VIDEO OUT" jack coming out the
    >> back. Can I assume that hooking this directly to the TV input
    >> (instead of
    >> coax) would improve the picture?
    >>
    >> I know it makes a big difference on DVD's, but this is a different
    >> situation
    >> as the box is being fed with Coaxial RF coming into the box. So is
    >> there an
    >> improvement to be had?
    >>

    > Yes, my PVR box has an S output and I notice an immediate improvement in
    > the picture. Everything looked much better, not as blurry and drab as
    > composite. I was impressed. I knew S-video improved DVD and LD
    > playback, but I didn't know what the cable box could do for the signal.
    > Must have a great comb filter.

    Weird then because on my parents' satellite dish when I was over there
    I told them they should use the S-Video connection instead of just
    running a coaxial from it. Well he got a cable on hooked it up. You can
    notice the sound is alot better, but the picture still is aro und the
    same. And that's using 'input' on the televsion , NOT channel 3. Anyone
    know why it'd be ? It's direct TV.

    jason

    --
    ((¯`'·.¸(¯`'·.((¯`'·.¸ * jason bean* ¸.·'´¯))¸.·'´¯)¸.·'´¯))

    View my WeBpaGes
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jbean3
    http://www.electrichaos.azn.nu/
    jay b, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Bill

    Justin Guest

    jay b wrote on [Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:04:01 -0500]:
    > Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> This does not directly relate to DVD's, but I know people here can answer
    >>> the question....
    >>>
    >>> My digital cable box (Motorola) has an "S VIDEO OUT" jack coming out the
    >>> back. Can I assume that hooking this directly to the TV input
    >>> (instead of
    >>> coax) would improve the picture?
    >>>
    >>> I know it makes a big difference on DVD's, but this is a different
    >>> situation
    >>> as the box is being fed with Coaxial RF coming into the box. So is
    >>> there an
    >>> improvement to be had?
    >>>

    >> Yes, my PVR box has an S output and I notice an immediate improvement in
    >> the picture. Everything looked much better, not as blurry and drab as
    >> composite. I was impressed. I knew S-video improved DVD and LD
    >> playback, but I didn't know what the cable box could do for the signal.
    >> Must have a great comb filter.
    >>

    > Weird then because on my parents' satellite dish when I was over there
    > I told them they should use the S-Video connection instead of just
    > running a coaxial from it. Well he got a cable on hooked it up. You can
    > notice the sound is alot better, but the picture still is aro und the
    > same. And that's using 'input' on the televsion , NOT channel 3. Anyone
    > know why it'd be ? It's direct TV.

    The sound is a lot better?
    Justin, Jan 8, 2004
  6. >> Yes, my PVR box has an S output and I notice an immediate improvement in
    >> the picture. Everything looked much better, not as blurry and drab as
    >> composite. I was impressed. I knew S-video improved DVD and LD
    >> playback, but I didn't know what the cable box could do for the signal.
    >> Must have a great comb filter.

    I'm assuming you mean digital cable. At least in my area a PVR / cable combo
    box is only offered with digital. Isn't that Y-R-B, hence no need for a comb
    filter? At any rate, S-Video will not improve LD picture over composite
    video, unless the comb filter in the player is better than the one in the TV.

    > Weird then because on my parents' satellite dish when I was over there
    >I told them they should use the S-Video connection instead of just
    >running a coaxial from it. Well he got a cable on hooked it up. You can
    >notice the sound is alot better, but the picture still is aro und the
    >same. And that's using 'input' on the televsion , NOT channel 3. Anyone
    >know why it'd be ? It's direct TV.

    What kind of set are we talking about? The better and bigger the TV the more
    difference you'll see. As for sound, I dunno if satellite boxes have MTS
    encoding in the RF modulator, so they may not carry stereo out the coax.

    --

    Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    Bloomington, MN to email, remove the "q" from my address
    Monte Castleman, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Bill

    Codswallop Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 06:45:20 GMT, Monte Castleman wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    > As for sound, I dunno if satellite boxes have MTS encoding in the RF
    > modulator, so they may not carry stereo out the coax.

    The boxes (Welling[?]) my cable provider only have composite and mono
    RCA. The only way to get stereo is through RF... Eww.

    They apparently aren't considering digital at this time either. *sigh*

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Bill

    Richard C. Guest

    "jay b" <electric_chaos{delete.me...}@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    :
    : Weird then because on my parents' satellite dish when I was over there
    : I told them they should use the S-Video connection instead of just
    : running a coaxial from it. Well he got a cable on hooked it up. You can
    : notice the sound is alot better,

    ====================
    What does the S-Video have to do with sound?

    (hint: nothing)
    Richard C., Jan 8, 2004
  9. >What does the S-Video have to do with sound?

    >(hint: nothing)

    It means you are not using the coax connector for sound.

    Monte Castleman, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Bill

    Richard C. Guest

    "Monte Castleman" <> wrote in message
    : >What does the S-Video have to do with sound?
    : >
    : >(hint: nothing)
    : >
    : It means you are not using the coax connector for sound.
    :
    ==============================
    Sound does not transmit via S-Video, no matter what you are "not using".
    Richard C., Jan 9, 2004
  11. Bill

    jay b Guest

    Richard C. wrote:

    > "Monte Castleman" <> wrote in message
    > : >What does the S-Video have to do with sound?
    > : >
    > : >(hint: nothing)
    > : >
    > : It means you are not using the coax connector for sound.
    > :
    > Sound does not transmit via S-Video, no matter what you are "not using".

    Well it's his TV. When you set it mto channel three, it uses the sound
    from the coaxial bable. But when the 'input' is used, the sound comes
    from the RCA cables he's got plugged into it.

    jason

    jay b, Jan 9, 2004