    So - name of a shredder that will shred 4-5 sheets and output is crosscut
    ( diamond) shaped ?

    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Aug 14, 2007

  2. - Bobb -

    Pen Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Have you recently bought a shredder that you like - for ~$50 ?
    >
    > I've been looking online for opinions and not finding anything recent
    > that refers to a GOOD product. All recent web info I read states " this
    > is a piece of crap - try something else ..." and a lot of the 'research
    > sites' have reviews like "Designed for light duty shredding in the home
    > or home office, " Sounds like it was written by the maufacturer and no
    > real 'how was it' info included.
    >
    > So - name of a shredder that will shred 4-5 sheets and output is
    > crosscut ( diamond) shaped ?
    >
    > Thanks

    I doubt you can get a crosscut shredder (usually 1" by 1/8th") for that
    little. I have a Royal 150MX which shreds CDs and credit cards in
    addition to multi paper sheets. I would take the ratings with a grain of
    salt, but they are useful to compare units. Royal does have a $60 one
    the 85x, but I'm not familiar with it. I paid $130 for mine and I've
    gotten great service from it. I burnt up a Fellowes cheapo, which
    constantly jammed and was a real pain to use.

    Pen, Aug 14, 2007

  3. - Bobb -

    j Guest

    Why buy a paper shredder? I run all my paper down the garbage disposal in
    the kitchen sink. It's better than a paper shredder. Just run some water
    down with it and it will work fine.

    j, Aug 14, 2007
  4. - Bobb -

    olfart Guest

    > Have you recently bought a shredder that you like - for ~$50 ?
    >
    > I've been looking online for opinions and not finding anything recent that
    > refers to a GOOD product. All recent web info I read states " this is a
    > piece of crap - try something else ..." and a lot of the 'research sites'
    > have reviews like "Designed for light duty shredding in the home or home
    > office, " Sounds like it was written by the maufacturer and no real 'how
    > was it' info included.
    >
    > So - name of a shredder that will shred 4-5 sheets and output is crosscut
    > ( diamond) shaped ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Get a Goat. May not crosscut, but the output is unreadable

    olfart, Aug 14, 2007
  5. - Bobb -

    j Guest

    I would stay away from Fellowes brand crosscut shredders. I bought a new one
    several years ago. It clogged itself up all the time and they wouldn't take
    it back. That's when I started sending all my paper items down the garbage
    disposal in the kitchen sink which works fine and doesn't cost anything.

    j, Aug 14, 2007
  6. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Just back from Staples.
    I brought a few receipts/envelopes with me and could read names / address/
    cc info on bits in output bin of the ones whose output is rectangular -
    1/4" x 1". I expected diamond shaped output not rectangle chaff. The only
    model they had that the output was small enough to be unreadable was $150
    after $30 rebate (microcut ultraquiet shredder Item 633967 ) The output
    is 3/32 x 5/16 - definitely unreadable.
    A bit over what I expected to pay so will look a few more places first.

    (BTW If you folks WERE serious, no sewerage here, so not putting in
    disposal. )

    - Bobb -, Aug 14, 2007
  7. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Just back from Staples.
    > I brought a few receipts/envelopes with me and could read names /
    > address/ cc info on bits in output bin of the ones whose output is
    > rectangular - 1/4" x 1". I expected diamond shaped output not rectangle
    > chaff. The only model they had that the output was small enough to be
    > unreadable was $150 after $30 rebate (microcut ultraquiet shredder Item
    > 633967 ) The output is 3/32 x 5/16 - definitely unreadable.
    > A bit over what I expected to pay so will look a few more places first.
    >
    > (BTW If you folks WERE serious, no sewerage here, so not putting in
    > disposal. )
    >

    > "j" <> wrote in message
    >> I would stay away from Fellowes brand crosscut shredders. I bought a
    >> new one
    >> several years ago. It clogged itself up all the time and they wouldn't
    >> take
    >> it back. That's when I started sending all my paper items down the
    >> garbage
    >> disposal in the kitchen sink which works fine and doesn't cost anything.
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>> Have you recently bought a shredder that you like - for ~$50 ?
    >>>
    >>> I've been looking online for opinions and not finding anything recent
    >>> that
    >>> refers to a GOOD product. All recent web info I read states " this is a
    >>> piece of crap - try something else ..." and a lot of the 'research
    >>> sites'
    >>> have reviews like "Designed for light duty shredding in the home or home
    >>> office, " Sounds like it was written by the maufacturer and no real 'how
    >>> was it' info included.
    >>>
    >>> So - name of a shredder that will shred 4-5 sheets and output is
    >>> crosscut
    >>> ( diamond) shaped ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    http://www.staples.ca/ENG/images/products/ca631541_1_enl.jpg

    I bought a 631541 10 sheet crosscut Staples brand last year. The price has
    dropped quite a bit and it is listed as on sale today for $99 CDN.

    Cut is rectangular, 1 3/16" by 3/16". I'm careful to feed documents, so whole
    lines of text do not align with the 1 3/16" direction. I'd say I'm pretty
    happy with it. I may have one jam in two or three buckets of confetti,
    and the unit is better than some other ones I've worked with.

    When you use monster shredders, like one we had at work, all you get
    is monster jams. That thing can get jammed so bad, that you cannot clear
    it on your own, and have to call maintenance (while I could have taken it
    apart myself, I get hell for that). So in that sense, a shredder
    with a limited appetite, is a blessing.

    For credit cards, I prefer scissors.

    In the description, the "Faux leather basket" underneath the shredder head,
    is what sold me. Some "faux cow" died to make that basket :) It takes a
    lot of "faux grass" to raise a "faux cow".

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 14, 2007
  8. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:f9t9lu$n6i$...
    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >> Just back from Staples.
    >> I brought a few receipts/envelopes with me and could read names /
    >> address/ cc info on bits in output bin of the ones whose output is
    >> rectangular - 1/4" x 1". I expected diamond shaped output not
    >> rectangle chaff. The only model they had that the output was small
    >> enough to be unreadable was $150 after $30 rebate (microcut ultraquiet
    >> shredder Item 633967 ) The output is 3/32 x 5/16 - definitely
    >> unreadable.
    >> A bit over what I expected to pay so will look a few more places first.
    >>
    >> (BTW If you folks WERE serious, no sewerage here, so not putting in
    >> disposal. )
    >>

    >> "j" <> wrote in message
    >>> I would stay away from Fellowes brand crosscut shredders. I bought a
    >>> new one
    >>> several years ago. It clogged itself up all the time and they wouldn't
    >>> take
    >>> it back. That's when I started sending all my paper items down the
    >>> garbage
    >>> disposal in the kitchen sink which works fine and doesn't cost
    >>> anything.
    >>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > http://www.staples.ca/ENG/images/products/ca631541_1_enl.jpg
    >
    > I bought a 631541 10 sheet crosscut Staples brand last year. The price
    > has
    > dropped quite a bit and it is listed as on sale today for $99 CDN.
    >
    > Cut is rectangular, 1 3/16" by 3/16". I'm careful to feed documents, so
    > whole
    > lines of text do not align with the 1 3/16" direction. I'd say I'm
    > pretty
    > happy with it. I may have one jam in two or three buckets of confetti,
    > and the unit is better than some other ones I've worked with.
    >
    > When you use monster shredders, like one we had at work, all you get
    > is monster jams. That thing can get jammed so bad, that you cannot clear
    > it on your own, and have to call maintenance (while I could have taken
    > it
    > apart myself, I get hell for that). So in that sense, a shredder
    > with a limited appetite, is a blessing.
    >
    > For credit cards, I prefer scissors.
    >
    > In the description, the "Faux leather basket" underneath the shredder
    > head,
    > is what sold me. Some "faux cow" died to make that basket :) It takes a
    > lot of "faux grass" to raise a "faux cow".
    >
    > Paul

    Yeah, but it's a lot easier to clean up - and no smell.
    Thanks for the info.

    - Bobb -, Aug 15, 2007