[OT] Rebooting XP system - seeking utilities

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Maerko, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Maerko

    Maerko Guest

    Very recently I used some registry cleaners and registry tweakers on
    WinXP. One which I used was X-Setup Pro with it's 1,700 settings!
    http://www.x-setup.net/product/

    Maybe one of these tools has made my registry now look for a non-
    existent program on bootup because the boot sequence keeps on
    looping. XP gets past the XP welcome screen (which is set to
    autologon) but even before the desktop icons appear, XP logs itself
    off. And then on and off and on. Etc.

    (1) Is there a way to get such a rebooting XP system to stop its
    boot sequence and to put up an error message when it can't find a
    particular program?

    (2) I have two XP partitions in one machine. One is old and the
    other is the failing partition which keeps rebooting. Is there a
    registry editor which I can run on the *old* XP partition and then
    edit the registry in the *other* failing partition?

    It's perhaps the sort of tool which might be used for manual removal
    of malware.

    (3) Is there a tool which tells you what programs are called to run
    at XP's startup (like 'StartUpList' or 'HijackThis') but not for the
    same partition that as program runs in but for *another* XP
    partition?

    Maerko, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Maerko

    Eric Gisin Guest

    "Maerko" <> wrote in message

    > Maybe one of these tools has made my registry now look for a non-
    > existent program on bootup because the boot sequence keeps on
    > looping. XP gets past the XP welcome screen (which is set to
    > autologon) but even before the desktop icons appear, XP logs itself
    > off. And then on and off and on. Etc.

    Your system is booting. WinLogon is not launching explorer, or explorer is
    exiting.

    > (1) Is there a way to get such a rebooting XP system to stop its
    > boot sequence and to put up an error message when it can't find a
    > particular program?

    Try booting (using F8) to Safe Mode - command prompt. You can launch most GUI
    apps, like regedit and eventvwr.

    > (2) I have two XP partitions in one machine. One is old and the
    > other is the failing partition which keeps rebooting. Is there a
    > registry editor which I can run on the *old* XP partition and then
    > edit the registry in the *other* failing partition?

    You can load registry hives from system32\config using regedt32.

    > It's perhaps the sort of tool which might be used for manual removal
    > of malware.
    >
    > (3) Is there a tool which tells you what programs are called to run
    > at XP's startup (like 'StartUpList' or 'HijackThis') but not for the
    > same partition that as program runs in but for *another* XP
    > partition?

    Unlikely, too specific.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Maerko

    David Qunt Guest

    "Eric Gisin" <> squirted these wordjisms deep
    inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

    > "Maerko" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Maybe one of these tools has made my registry now look for a non-
    >> existent program on bootup because the boot sequence keeps on
    >> looping. XP gets past the XP welcome screen (which is set to
    >> autologon) but even before the desktop icons appear, XP logs itself
    >> off. And then on and off and on. Etc.
    >>

    > Your system is booting. WinLogon is not launching explorer, or
    > explorer is exiting.
    >
    >> (1) Is there a way to get such a rebooting XP system to stop its
    >> boot sequence and to put up an error message when it can't find a
    >> particular program?
    >>

    > Try booting (using F8) to Safe Mode - command prompt. You can launch
    > most GUI apps, like regedit and eventvwr.
    >
    >> (2) I have two XP partitions in one machine. One is old and the
    >> other is the failing partition which keeps rebooting. Is there a
    >> registry editor which I can run on the *old* XP partition and then
    >> edit the registry in the *other* failing partition?
    >>

    > You can load registry hives from system32\config using regedt32.
    >
    >> It's perhaps the sort of tool which might be used for manual removal
    >> of malware.
    >>
    >> (3) Is there a tool which tells you what programs are called to run
    >> at XP's startup (like 'StartUpList' or 'HijackThis') but not for the
    >> same partition that as program runs in but for *another* XP
    >> partition?
    >>

    > Unlikely, too specific.

    Try the recovery console, or do a repair install on the faulty
    installation.

    --
    *********************************

    David Qunt, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Maerko

    Maerko Guest

    "Eric Gisin" <> wrote:

    >> (2) I have two XP partitions in one machine. One is old and
    >> the other is the failing partition which keeps rebooting. Is
    >> there a registry editor which I can run on the *old* XP
    >> partition and then edit the registry in the *other* failing
    >> partition?
    >>

    > You can load registry hives from system32\config using
    > regedt32.

    What file do I open when I use regedt32 to go to the other failing drive's
    system32\config folder?

    I tried a couple but got some dire warning about all entries being deleted
    if i continued the open operation.

    Maerko, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Some people just want to hurt themselves.

    Alexander Grigoriev, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Maerko

    Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:11:59 +0100, Maerko <> wrote:

    >Very recently I used some registry cleaners and registry tweakers on
    >WinXP. One which I used was X-Setup Pro with it's 1,700 settings!
    >http://www.x-setup.net/product/
    >
    >Maybe one of these tools has made my registry now look for a non-
    >existent program on bootup because the boot sequence keeps on
    >looping. XP gets past the XP welcome screen (which is set to
    >autologon) but even before the desktop icons appear, XP logs itself
    >off. And then on and off and on. Etc.

    How fun! You can stop the autologon by holding down shift. XP in
    the family logon mode has the interesting feature that it tries to
    logon to each user listed using a blank password. So if the user has
    a blank password, XP doesn't stop at the logon screen.

    Is it stuck logging in/out, or is it actually crashing and rebooting?
    (ie does it go through the loading windows stuff again?)

    >(1) Is there a way to get such a rebooting XP system to stop its
    >boot sequence and to put up an error message when it can't find a
    >particular program?

    >(2) I have two XP partitions in one machine. One is old and the
    >other is the failing partition which keeps rebooting. Is there a
    >registry editor which I can run on the *old* XP partition and then
    >edit the registry in the *other* failing partition?

    egistry editor (regedt32). Click on the top of the
    HKey_Local_Machine, then go to the file menu and select "Load Hive".
    Go the the other drive to windows\system32\config. The system file
    will be the system registry, software the software registry.

    When you're done, you will want to "unload" the hive. DO NOT hit
    delete to remove it as that will delete it rather than disconnect from
    the file.

    Another very helpful tool is the ability to open up the event logs
    from the other install. Go to the start->run and run "compmgmt.msc".
    Right click on event logs and choose open log file. The log files are
    also in the system32\config directory.

    >It's perhaps the sort of tool which might be used for manual removal
    >of malware.

    Regedt32 can be very helpful to remove entries from the registry keys
    that list statup programs.

    Sometimes deleting malware and virus files without fixing the registry
    can cause problems. Some of the virus's that redirect calls to exe
    files come to mind. Manually deleting the file would cause all exe
    files to not run, including explorer.exe

    >(3) Is there a tool which tells you what programs are called to run
    >at XP's startup (like 'StartUpList' or 'HijackThis') but not for the
    >same partition that as program runs in but for *another* XP
    >partition?

    Check the startup folder under documents and settings\all users\start
    menu\startup. Also look at the folder for the particular user. Other
    than that, it's time to hit the registry!

    Absolute worst case, you can reinstall XP into the same
    folder/partition and it will keep most of your programs intact.

    -Chris

    , Sep 4, 2004