    long. lines I now see in GE.

    I can't find a way to display the grid lines now, either in GE or
    in GM. Am I missing something or has Google removed them?

    mianileng, Jun 6, 2012

  2. mianileng

    mianileng Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-06 15:05 , mianileng wrote:
    >> I know there's a Google Earth forum but I find it rather
    >> confusing and every time I go there (which is quite rarely),
    >> it
    >> seems to have changed from the last time I did. I was hoping
    >> someone here would be able to answer my question.
    >>
    >> A few years ago, I pasted together several screenshots of some
    >> land I own. I don't quite remember which one I used - Google
    >> Earth or the satellite images of Google Maps. I _think_ it was
    >> GM
    >> but I'm not sure. Anyway, that image has a grid of white lines
    >> on
    >> it. The lines are regularly spaced and straight in the
    >> vertical
    >> anf horizontal directions, unlike the terrain-following lat.
    >> and
    >> long. lines I now see in GE.
    >>
    >> I can't find a way to display the grid lines now, either in GE
    >> or
    >> in GM. Am I missing something or has Google removed them?

    > I can't find it in the free v. of Google Earth - though there
    > may be
    > an add on out there that does that...
    >
    > This one puts down a UTM grid (very useful if in UTM position
    > display
    > and working with survey and military maps). But it's only 1 km
    > resolution. http://www.gelib.com/worldwide-utm-grid.htm
    >
    > and there's
    > http://fuzzytolerance.info/easy-grids-in-google-earth/
    >
    > and
    > http://freegeographytools.com/2007/drawing-grids-paths-and-polygons-in-google-earth-using-ge-path
    >
    > Which I haven't tried.

    Thanks for the reply. I'm quite certain I didn't use any add-on
    to capture my old images, and I'm now fairly sure that I captured
    the sections from Google maps, not GE.

    Shown in the link below is a crop from the full image that I
    pasted together from many separate sections. The grid lines align
    perfectly and are spaced about 512 pixels apart. When compared
    with the current GE image, each side of the grid is about 140m
    (153 yards) long. Since I can't get the lines to show now in GE
    or GM, I can't say if the grid size changes with the zoom level.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1476/tzlandsample1.jpg

    As mentioned before, the grid lines are straight, unlike the
    geographical co-ordinates which are curved in places depending on
    the terrain. In any case, such co-ordinate lines are spaced much
    farther apart.

    mianileng, Jun 7, 2012