OT: Private Ethernet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gale Green, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Gale Green

    Gale Green Guest

    Hi all.

    Sorry this is slightly off-topic, but I can't find a suitable group.
    If anyone can answer, I shall be eternally grateful.

    I have two PCs, each running Vista Business, which are connected by an
    Ethernet cable.

    I can see the Public folders in both directions but my own folders,
    although visible in both directions, can only be accessed one way, say
    from machine A to machine B. When I try from machine B, shared folders
    are visible on machine A, but give "Access is denied" when I click on
    them.

    I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
    make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
    Public of its own accord.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Gale.

    Gale Green, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Gale Green

    Big_Al Guest

    Gale Green wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Sorry this is slightly off-topic, but I can't find a suitable group.
    > If anyone can answer, I shall be eternally grateful.
    >
    > I have two PCs, each running Vista Business, which are connected by an
    > Ethernet cable.
    >
    > I can see the Public folders in both directions but my own folders,
    > although visible in both directions, can only be accessed one way, say
    > from machine A to machine B. When I try from machine B, shared folders
    > are visible on machine A, but give "Access is denied" when I click on
    > them.
    >
    > I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
    > make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
    > Public of its own accord.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Gale.

    I know MS has these shared folders already setup and such, but I've
    never used them. I tend to go for the jugular. I simply make a
    C:\share folder on both machines, share it with full read/write, and
    bingo, everyone can see the folders. And I just drop things there and
    then on the other machine move it where i want.

    Security wise, its the best way to do it. You only have one folder
    shared and only what's in it. Some people like to share C:\ and
    that's about the worst thing you could ever do.

    Big_Al, Dec 12, 2008

  3. Gale Green

    Gale Green Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:15:52 -0500, Big_Al <> wrote:

    Thanks for the reply. My problem is that C:\MySharedFolder on machine
    A is accessible from machine B, but C:\MySharedFolde on machine B is
    not accessible from machine A.

    Gale.

    Gale Green, Dec 12, 2008
  4. Gale Green

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Gale Green" <> wrote in message

    > Hi all.
    >
    > Sorry this is slightly off-topic, but I can't find a suitable group.

    Here is the suitable NG:

    microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

    and also:
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 12, 2008
  5. Gale Green

    Big_Al Guest

    Gale Green wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:15:52 -0500, Big_Al <> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. My problem is that C:\MySharedFolder on machine
    > A is accessible from machine B, but C:\MySharedFolde on machine B is
    > not accessible from machine A.
    >
    > Gale.
    >
    >> Gale Green wrote:
    >>> Hi all.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry this is slightly off-topic, but I can't find a suitable group.
    >>> If anyone can answer, I shall be eternally grateful.
    >>>
    >>> I have two PCs, each running Vista Business, which are connected by an
    >>> Ethernet cable.
    >>>
    >>> I can see the Public folders in both directions but my own folders,
    >>> although visible in both directions, can only be accessed one way, say
    >>> from machine A to machine B. When I try from machine B, shared folders
    >>> are visible on machine A, but give "Access is denied" when I click on
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
    >>> make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
    >>> Public of its own accord.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Gale.
    >>>

    >> I know MS has these shared folders already setup and such, but I've
    >> never used them. I tend to go for the jugular. I simply make a
    >> C:\share folder on both machines, share it with full read/write, and
    >> bingo, everyone can see the folders. And I just drop things there and
    >> then on the other machine move it where i want.
    >>
    >> Security wise, its the best way to do it. You only have one folder
    >> shared and only what's in it. Some people like to share C:\ and
    >> that's about the worst thing you could ever do.

    My office has a 2003 server and we shared folders there but for some
    reason we all had to have logins duplicated on the server to access
    those shares. It was a mess when a new employee joined to have to add
    logins to 5 servers. (well, kind of a mess, 20 minutes). But it
    only worked that way. Not sure if that was 'server' or what, but it was
    not a domain, which is much like at home.

    However at home, I can do as you do and just make a share and bingo
    everything works. Read/write and all. I'm not Mr. Tech on
    networking but I can do it, and it seems to work. I even have my quest
    account disabled on a few machines, and I always thought it was that.

    There is a web site EZLAN.net. Look there, there is a ton of info
    available. Wish I could help more, stick around, as they wake up, more
    people will reply. I've got insomnia this morning.

    Big_Al, Dec 12, 2008
  6. Gale Green

    Gale Green Guest

    OK thanks. I'll take a look at EZLAN. I never had these problems with
    XP, just Vista.

    Also, although my wireless broadband works a treat, the Ethernet LAN
    always shows as "Unidentified network", on both machines, even though
    it works, albeit only in one direction.

    As you suggest, I'll wait for the other half of the world to wake up.

    Thanks again.

    Gale.

    Gale Green, Dec 12, 2008
  7. Gale Green