    --
    ---------------
    Darth 2000 - MCNGP # 28

    Darth 2000, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Darth 2000

    Andy Foster Guest

    Re: Printing from DOS to USB Printer

    "Darth 2000" <hasan_at_letter_u_letter_h.com.au> wrote in message
    > A client of mine is running Win98 and also using a DOS program.
    > This program prints directly to an LPT port but will not print to his new
    > USB printer (which works fine in windows).
    > I have not come accross this situation before, so I'm really stumped about
    > how to get DOS to recognise that the USB port contains the printer.
    > Anyone have any ideas about how to make it print from DOS to USB when
    > running the program from Windows?

    Print to file, then dump to printer from within windows ?

    Andy Foster, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Darth 2000

    Darth 2000 Guest

    Re: Printing from DOS to USB Printer

    tks. i'll give it a try when i'm in his office again.

    --
    ---------------
    Darth 2000 - MCNGP # 28

    Darth 2000, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Darth 2000

    Japes Guest

    Re: Printing from DOS to USB Printer

    I know this works in 2k, not sure what the commands are in 98 (probably
    similar :)

    share the printer then do a NET USE LPT1 \\computername\printer name, I'd
    put it in the autoexec.bat so it always starts with the redirect. messy but
    as I say does work in 2k.

    --
    Regards

    Japes
    Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
    When replying by email put STARWARS in the subject line, otherwise its
    automatically deleted.

    Japes, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Re: Printing from DOS to USB Printer

    ----- Japes wrote: ----

    I know this works in 2k, not sure what the commands are in 98 (probabl
    similar :-

    share the printer then do a NET USE LPT1 \\computername\printer name, I'
    put it in the autoexec.bat so it always starts with the redirect. messy bu
    as I say does work in 2k

    Yep, net use lpt1: \\servername\printer_share /persistent:ye

    BU

    None of these suggestions work with DOS printing to USB printers

    The problem lies with the fact that there is no 16 bit DOS print driver

    You know the bit where the wizard asks
    "Do you want to be able to print from your DOS based programs"

    The wizard does not ask that with USB printers

    This fact is even stated on the boxes of most USB printers

    AS far as I know, there is no knowledge base article relating to this proble
    Anybody know any different to me?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=, Feb 15, 2004