OT - Printer Help?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Greetings!
    This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
    printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.

    *************************************!
    I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
    2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
    Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
    Printer 2: Canon i560s.
    Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
    printing.
    The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
    (Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
    and begin printing immediately, usually within 1-2 seconds.
    At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
    software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
    printer.

    I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
    from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
    their software.
    HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
    Canon: 26 " " " " "

    System Info:
    Compaq Presario S3200NX
    2.0 Ghz
    WIN XP Home SP1
    512 MB RAM

    Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!

    TIA!

    -- Dave
    Dave, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Dave

    Jim Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings!
    > This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
    > printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.

    Something else is wrong with your computer because the last post to
    comp.periphs.printers was 9/15/2004.

    > *************************************!
    > I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
    > 2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
    > Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
    > Printer 2: Canon i560s.
    > Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
    > printing.
    > The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print

    jobs,
    > (Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool

    up
    > and begin print ingimmediately,usuallywithin1-2seconds.
    > At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
    > software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
    > printer.

    Just a guess:
    Perhaps the Hp printer is more affected by the delay in a hub than the
    Canon.
    Jim
    Jim, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Dave

    Rick Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Greetings!
    > This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
    > printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.
    >
    > *************************************!
    > I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
    > 2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
    > Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
    > Printer 2: Canon i560s.
    > Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
    > printing.
    > The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
    > (Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
    > and begin printing immediately, usually within 1-2 seconds.
    > At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
    > software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
    > printer.
    >
    > I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
    > from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
    > their software.
    > HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
    > Canon: 26 " " " " "
    >
    > System Info:
    > Compaq Presario S3200NX
    > 2.0 Ghz
    > WIN XP Home SP1
    > 512 MB RAM
    >
    > Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!
    >
    > TIA!

    1. Free up any unused space on your hard drive(s).
    2. Defrag your hard drive(s).
    3. Check the options in your HP printer driver and see if
    anything's been changed, e.g. the option to start printing
    immediately or wait until jobs are completely spooled.
    4. If nothing else works try uninstalling your AV software
    and see if it fixes the problem. There could be a driver
    specific issue between the software and HP's driver.

    Rick
    Rick, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Dave

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:56:31 -0700, "Dave" <> wrote:

    >Greetings!
    >This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
    >printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.
    >
    >*************************************!
    >I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
    >2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
    >Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
    >Printer 2: Canon i560s.
    >Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
    >printing.
    >The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
    >(Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
    >and begin print ingimmediately,usuallywithin1-2seconds.
    >At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
    >software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
    >printer.
    >
    >I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
    >from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
    >their software.
    >HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
    >Canon: 26 " " " " "
    >
    >System Info:
    >Compaq Presario S3200NX
    >2.0 Ghz
    >WIN XP Home SP1
    >512 MB RAM
    >
    >Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!
    >
    >TIA!
    >
    >-- Dave

    I can't help you - but I'd like to tell you that we have an HP printer at work
    on the LAN and for some reason it is painfully slow! I can print a color photo
    at home on a similar HP faster then it can print a memo!

    If you ever find the reason - please post it here!
    Bob, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Dave

    Charles Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:56:31 -0700, "Dave" <> wrote:

    >Greetings!
    >This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
    >printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.
    >
    >*************************************!
    >I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
    >2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
    >Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
    >Printer 2: Canon i560s.
    >Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
    >printing.
    >The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
    >(Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
    >and begin printing immediately, usually within 1-2 seconds.
    >At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
    >software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
    >printer.
    >
    >I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
    >from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
    >their software.
    >HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
    >Canon: 26 " " " " "
    >
    >System Info:
    >Compaq Presario S3200NX
    >2.0 Ghz
    >WIN XP Home SP1
    >512 MB RAM
    >
    >Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!
    >
    >TIA!
    >
    >-- Dave

    Try taking one of the printers off the hub. Printers can hang up a
    port, I've had problems with a printer and something on the same port.
    different connections via a hub count as one port. I had to add a
    separate USB card to get additional ports for the stuff I hang on
    there.

    It doesn't cause problems all the time, but it can and is worth
    looking into when a problem does show up.

    --

    - Charles
    -
    Charles, Sep 16, 2004