[OT] Ping Jtyc

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by JaR, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. JaR

    JaR Guest

    JaR, Mar 21, 2007

  2. "JaR" wrote:

    > Packard-Hell voted worst PC of all time! As if we didn't already know that.
    > ROFL!
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129857-page,1-c,desktoppcs/article.html
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > Suffering Fools Gladly
    > Remove hat to reply

    That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
    Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
    were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
    action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
    AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

    --
    Sand "I only take my hat off for 2 things & typing's not one of 'em" worm
    MCSE, A+, MCNGP #00100001, YABBADABBADOO
    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHdvcm0=?=, Mar 21, 2007

  3. JaR

    JaR Guest

    "Sandworm" <sandworm@hunter_s_thompson_was_a_genius.com> wrote in message
    > "JaR" wrote:
    >
    >> Packard-Hell voted worst PC of all time! As if we didn't already know
    >> that.
    >> ROFL!
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129857-page,1-c,desktoppcs/article.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> JaR
    >> Suffering Fools Gladly
    >> Remove hat to reply

    > That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
    > Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
    > were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
    > action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
    > AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

    I had a PI that I bought at Sears. I ended up returning the damb thing
    twice, getting upgraded both times in the process(Last one actually had
    Win95!) finally just started fixing it myself rather than go through the
    hassle of trying to get tech support.

    I owe Packard-Hell a debt of gratitude, actually. I learned more about
    repairing computers from their crap boxen than any training or class I ever
    attended.

    Class action suits are a fscking joke. The lawyers make millions, and the
    poor saps they supposedly represent get a few cents back if they are lucky.
    Oughtta be outlawed.

    --
    JaR
    A+ Baybee!
    JaR, Mar 21, 2007
  4. JaR

    Jtyc Guest

    > That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
    > Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
    > were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
    > action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
    > AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

    You were better off with the used parts. The refurbished systems had to be
    tested much more rigoursly than the production systems.
    Jtyc, Mar 21, 2007
  5. JaR

    Jtyc Guest

    > Packard-Hell voted worst PC of all time! As if we didn't already know
    > that. ROFL!

    Well Packard Bell had the worst users of all time so it's all good.
    Jtyc, Mar 21, 2007
  6. JaR

    JaR Guest

    Jtyc wrote:
    >> That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
    >> Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
    >> were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
    >> action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
    >> AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

    > You were better off with the used parts. The refurbished systems had to be
    > tested much more rigoursly than the production systems.

    This former PB employee appears to disagree with that sentiment:

    http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/read.cgi?id=20070321&tid=2406380

    JaR, Mar 21, 2007
  7. JaR

    Jtyc Guest

    > I owe Packard-Hell a debt of gratitude, actually.

    You, are welcome.
    Jtyc, Mar 21, 2007
  8. JaR

    Jtyc Guest

    They, like me, are just repeating what they heard. Believe whatever you
    wish.

    The company failed in the U.S for various reasons, referbished parts in the
    systems is not one of them. Other companies had the same practice. I would
    point the failure to:

    Poor system design - The cases were horrible but eventually fixed. The
    modem/video combo cards were a pain as well. Eventually we shipped the same
    components as everyone else, though by then the reputation was established.
    The problem here, btw, was not the engineering. Marketing drove most
    projects and they caused nightmares for the rest of us.

    Poor marketing - They didn't try to target higher end customers until it was
    too late, always shooting for the Walmart crowd.

    Customer service - That's a whole story to itself.

    Although PB drove the cost of PCs way down. First sub $1000 PC, first sub
    $900, $800, all the way down to the PB1000, first sub $500 PC.
    Jtyc, Mar 21, 2007