OT: PDFs and Office 2007

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Jun 3, 2006.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    DP, Jun 3, 2006

  2. Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    I wish there was a compromise, especially with support 64-bit from Adobe
    lacking for their Acrobat products. Oh well, at least you will be able to
    download a module from Microsoft that will enable it when Office 2007 is
    released. I knew XPS would have gotten Adobe worried.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2006

  3. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    I have Adobe CS, which is PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat and some others
    bundled in a suite. I'm not at all impressed. I realize it's the standard
    in the graphics industry, but there is no flow to the apps. They're kind of
    tossed together and there is no similarity in menus, etc.

    Not to mention, you can't generate a PDF. How lame is that? I have
    DocuDesk for that, so I'm doing fine. But if a little company like DocuDesk
    can write a 64 bit print driver that works flawlessly, why can't Adobe?

    -Larry
    Maximize Software, Inc.

    Larry Hodges, Jun 3, 2006
  4. Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    Larry, if you have the CS bundle, don't you have InDesign as well? You can
    export PDF directly from that.

    As for Acrobat, although the PDF printer won't install under 64 bit, you can
    easily set up a postscript printer (I use a Scitex model), print to file to
    a watched folder and let Distiller take it from there.

    CS is becoming the publishing industry standard. There is quite a bit of
    integration (e.g. drag 'n drop between apps) as well as overlapping
    capabilities (e.g. strroking and drop shadows in Illustrator and InDesign).
    Nothing's perfect, and Adobe's hegemony following the decline of Quark (not
    dead yet with v7) may not bode well for users (Adobe's activation technology
    makes many uneasy), but their tools are the standard for now, and they work
    great together, once you get familiar with them...

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 3, 2006
  5. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    Who knows. I've never figured out what that stupid app is for lol.

    I have Adobe Acrobat in the suite. That "is" for creating PDFs. And from
    within Acrobat, you can import whatever and create a PDF. The feature to
    which I'm referring installs in toolbars within Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
    that let you generate a PDF from within the native document. That doesn't
    work. So I use DocuDesk.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jun 3, 2006
  6. Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    Yeah, but it would have been nice just have it integrated in Office out of
    the box.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 4, 2006
  7. Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    Yeah, but printing to the postscript printer does allow you to create the
    PDF from the native doc. It just isn't automated, so you need to print PS to
    the watched folder and then open the PDF from your Out folder. One extra
    step, but the same result...

    InDesign may seem intimidating and ponderous, but if you take the time to
    learn it you'll soon look back on Word and think "...geez, what a piece of
    crap!...."...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 4, 2006
  8. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    I'd say there is politics at work there. They could easily if they wanted
    to.

    Larry Hodges, Jun 4, 2006
  9. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    I have no idea what you just said, but I'm intrigued and will look into it.

    Larry Hodges, Jun 4, 2006
  10. Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    Let me walk ya through it quickly using my older version of Office XP:

    First: create a Postscript printer by adding a printer with PS capabilities.
    There are many to choose from. I use the "Scitex Dolev4Press PSM L2" model,
    but there are many others that should work. Make sure you select FILE (Print
    to File) as the printer port. All you're doing is creating a dummy
    postscript printer that will generate a postscript file that Distiller
    will... um... distill.

    Next: Open up Distiller. Under Settings, select Watched Folders. Click Add
    Folder and select a drive. Distiller will automatically create 2 folders: In
    and Out. You can also customize what to do with the leftover Postscript
    files (best to delete them) and whether to delete the PDFs after a while, or
    not.

    That's it. Now when you're in Word, or Excel or whatever, you can print to
    that postscript printer. Since you're printing to file, make sure you print
    to the In folder. Whenever Distiller is open, it will look into that folder
    every few seconds to see if there's anything to work on. If it spots a PS
    file, it will distill it automatically and leave the resulting PDF in the
    Out folder for your enjoyment.

    Just leave Distiller open in the background and you'll be able to print PDF
    from anything. It's the old-fashioned way... but it works perfectly fine.

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 4, 2006
  11. DP

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: PDFs and Office 2007

    Thanks Dennis. That's helpful. I'll give it a shot.

    Larry Hodges, Jun 6, 2006