[OT] Offshore support

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by JaR, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. JaR

    JaR Guest

    So, I just got a new lapdog, 2.2Gz Celeron, 15" TFT, 30 Gig HD 512 RAM.

    Oooh, Shiney!

    Patitioned off the HD. Install SuSe 8.2 to dual boot with XP. All is well,
    but the screen res in Linux is only 640X480. Can't figure out how to change
    it as the monitor is unsupported. Turns out I need to enter the settings
    manually.

    Furrfu!

    So I fire off an e-mail to Dull support. Please supply horizontal and
    vertical frequency settings and reccomended refresh rate. TWO DAYS later I
    get an e-mail back from "Annie" that starts off, "Dear Jones".

    OK, "Annie's" real name is probably "Anand" or "Anil" or some such. Anyhoo,
    "Annie" proceeds to inform me that as I am confused about how to set screen
    resolution, I need to familiarize myself with the "Display properties" in
    XP. Further explanations can be found in windows Help if I search under
    "screen resolution"

    Grrrrr.

    I e-mail back, explaining that, as I am in Linux, the windows display
    properties do me little good. Can she please just send me the information I
    requested, and we can stay friends.

    Been two days now and still waiting.
    No freaking where in the documentation, or on Dull's web site can I find the
    info I need.

    Dontcha just love dealing with the talented individuals that these companies
    are hiring. after reading some of the posts in here with East Indian
    sounding names in the "from" line asking stupid questions, it's hard to be
    suprised.

    Oh, BTW, if any of y'all happen to know the settings for an Inspiron with a
    15" TFT, I'd be obliged.

    Here endeth mine rant.

    J.R. Jones
    A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP#............................42

    JaR, Oct 14, 2003

  2. JaR wrote:
    > So, I just got a new lapdog, 2.2Gz Celeron, 15" TFT, 30 Gig HD 512
    > RAM.

    From page 432 of the Dull Tech Support manual:

    "If you do not understand what the customer is asking, simply state "Reboot
    and see if that fixes it." Dull has patent number 3199573991 covering
    this."

    --
    Fris "HTH HAND" beeĀ® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 14, 2003

  3. OK, question for you - since you know Dell is offshoring their support then
    why did you buy your laptop from them? There is no point in whinging about
    the poor quality of offshore support when you then vote with your $ to
    support this practice.

    Rather look for another vendor who has US support and buy from them - make
    sure you make them aware this was a deciding factor in your buying decision
    so they also don't get offshore ideas.

    Granted, your purchase of a single laptop is not going to have an effect on
    Dell's thinking when Corporation X buys 20000 laptops from them but you have
    to start somewhere.

    This has echos of "Buy American" in the auto industry. No one listened then,
    wonder if they will listen now?

    Brendon Rogers, Oct 14, 2003
  4. JaR

    JaR Guest

    "Brendon Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > OK, question for you - since you know Dell is offshoring their support

    then
    > why did you buy your laptop from them?

    Nope they won't listen. Name a supplier that does *not* offshore their
    support nowadays. If there is one, I am unaware of it. I have owned, or
    worked on, stuff from damn near every manufacturer, and they all suck. My
    current home box was built by me. But guess what? All the components are
    manufacured overseas. There are no domestic manufacturers.

    Usually, tech support is unimportant in my decision to buy, as they are all
    pathetic. This particular instance, however, graphically points out the
    downside.

    We need to do more "whinging" to each other, our associates, our
    politicians, etc. First the manufacturing jobs went. Now the tech and
    clerical jobs are going. A local cannery here in .wa just announced that it
    will no longer buy asparagus from local growers, as it can buy cheaper from
    Argentina! WTF!

    The press, by and large, is completely ignoring what's going on. After all,
    the companies that are the worst offenders are also their biggest
    advertisers. The politicians can't be bothered, those same companies are
    also their biggest contributors. To get a real feel for the magnitude of the
    loss of jobs, you have to read articles in other countries news sources.
    It's not just an American problem, but we are going to feel it the worst. We
    are a nation of consumers, we produce virtually nothing.

    I don't have an answer to the situation. I wish I did. But I do know that
    the public at large is unaware or uncaring. The only way to begin to change
    the situation is by awareness.

    Well, you asked.

    JaR

    JaR, Oct 14, 2003
  5. JaR

    Guest Guest

    It's hard to say. Companies are trying to survive in the wave of
    outsourcing. If they don't then customers will turn away looking at other
    companies. The first thing is to get buyers by low prices. If customers
    realize it and stop buying from them, it takes few years to financally
    affect them. So ... they can die few years later rather than now.
    Fortunately Dell is outsoucring support for homer users only as fas as I am
    aware. Last time I called Dell for laptop support under business account I
    had an AMERICAN on the phone.:)

    Guest, Oct 14, 2003
  6. JaR

    billyw Guest

    the plain fact is your news media is so corrupt that they really dont show
    the reality of what is going on.
    on occasion i watch fux news. usually if there isn't any other fairy tale on
    tv. the bias is unreal the reporting a joke and the truth.... entirely
    missing.
    is it any wonder you are stoking up trouble for yourselves...

    the US is getting hit just the same as any other western country.. and at
    the same time our governments sell us down the river by striking trade deals
    with china etc.
    can motorola (for instance) really call itself an american company?
    considering a fair amount of it's stuff is produced outside the cus.

    think of this.. if china and india continue the way they are going, they
    will in effect control a rather large slice of the worlds manufacturing and
    software production. in the event of a war or such.. china and india can
    pull the plug on these good and services.. then what is the US etc going to
    do.... throw lawyers at them...
    all empires eventually fall... you are now watching the decay begin.. all
    based on the greed of corporations and ceo's going for a good bonus payment.

    billyw, Oct 15, 2003
  7. JaR

    billyw Guest

    they teach indian to effect yank accents when dealing with the great
    unwashed

    billyw, Oct 15, 2003
  8. JaR

    Paul Lynch Guest

    Paul Lynch, Oct 15, 2003
  9. JaR

    billyw Guest

    yup it's been happening in theUK for ages,..
    ever dealt with sky tv.. if your unlucky enuff to get landed talking to an
    indian your in for a long night...

    billyw, Oct 15, 2003
  10. JaR

    Jeff Rush Guest

    Then I take it you don't read the LA or New York Times either. :)

    Jeff Rush, Oct 18, 2003