    use Noise Ninja, but before I actually purchase such a software, I'd like to
    know if it's worth it, so I'd like to try with freeware first.

    Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

    T., Dec 12, 2006

  2. T.

    Doug Robbins Guest

    Re: noise reduction software

    "T." <> wrote in message
    news:457e91a1$0$22399$...
    > (Cross-posted)
    > Does anyone use the Helicon Filter Free 4.27 software to remove noise? How
    > are you satisfied with it (if you are using it)? Pros and cones?
    >
    > I'm rather new to the digital photography and I'd like to learn how to use
    > the noise reduction software (noise tends to appear in my poor lightning
    > photographs, I'm still learning how to avoid it), and someone suggested to
    > use Noise Ninja, but before I actually purchase such a software, I'd like
    > to know if it's worth it, so I'd like to try with freeware first.
    >
    > Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

    I'm unfamiliar with the Helicon Filter Free software, but I have used Noise
    Ninja and it can be quite effective. The greatest caveat in using such
    software is to avoid overprocessing, which can obscure the fine detail in
    your images and (in the case of portraits) give the image a "plasticy'
    appearance. Rather than apply such correction globally to the image, it is
    often more successful to use masks to apply noise reduction selectively to
    only those parts of the image where noise is most apparent (the sky, for
    example). I've tried both Noise Ninja and Neat Image, and of the two, I find
    Noise Ninja the more intuitive to use.

    Doug

    Doug Robbins, Dec 12, 2006

  3. T.

    hairboy Guest

    Doug Robbins wrote:
    > "T." <> wrote in message
    >> (Cross-posted)
    >> Does anyone use the Helicon Filter Free 4.27 software to remove noise? How
    >> are you satisfied with it (if you are using it)? Pros and cones?
    >>
    >> I'm rather new to the digital photography and I'd like to learn how to use
    >> the noise reduction software (noise tends to appear in my poor lightning
    >> photographs, I'm still learning how to avoid it), and someone suggested to
    >> use Noise Ninja, but before I actually purchase such a software, I'd like
    >> to know if it's worth it, so I'd like to try with freeware first.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
    >>

    > I'm unfamiliar with the Helicon Filter Free software, but I have used Noise
    > Ninja and it can be quite effective. The greatest caveat in using such
    > software is to avoid overprocessing, which can obscure the fine detail in
    > your images and (in the case of portraits) give the image a "plasticy'
    > appearance. Rather than apply such correction globally to the image, it is
    > often more successful to use masks to apply noise reduction selectively to
    > only those parts of the image where noise is most apparent (the sky, for
    > example). I've tried both Noise Ninja and Neat Image, and of the two, I find
    > Noise Ninja the more intuitive to use.
    >
    > Doug

    Noise Ninja is easy enough to use, and works rather well. Easy to get
    carried away though, so use sparingly.

    hairboy, Dec 12, 2006
  4. T.

    Guest

    T. wrote:
    > someone suggested to
    > use Noise Ninja, but before I actually purchase such a software, I'd like to
    > know if it's worth it, so I'd like to try with freeware first.

    NoiseNinja has a free trial, so you can download that and check it out
    for free.

    -Gniewko

    , Dec 12, 2006
  5. T.

    VicTek Guest

    Re: noise reduction software

    >> Does anyone use the Helicon Filter Free 4.27 software to remove noise?
    >> How
    >> are you satisfied with it (if you are using it)? Pros and cones?
    >>
    >> I'm rather new to the digital photography and I'd like to learn how to
    >> use the noise reduction software (noise tends to appear in my poor
    >> lightning photographs, I'm still learning how to avoid it), and someone
    >> suggested to use Noise Ninja, but before I actually purchase such a
    >> software, I'd like to know if it's worth it, so I'd like to try with
    >> freeware first.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
    >>

    > I'm unfamiliar with the Helicon Filter Free software, but I have used
    > Noise Ninja and it can be quite effective. The greatest caveat in using
    > such software is to avoid overprocessing, which can obscure the fine
    > detail in your images and (in the case of portraits) give the image a
    > "plasticy' appearance. Rather than apply such correction globally to the
    > image, it is often more successful to use masks to apply noise reduction
    > selectively to only those parts of the image where noise is most apparent
    > (the sky, for example). I've tried both Noise Ninja and Neat Image, and of
    > the two, I find Noise Ninja the more intuitive to use.

    There's a free version of NeatImage. They call it the "demo edition".

    VicTek, Dec 14, 2006
  6. T.

    VicTek Guest

    "VicTek" <> wrote in message

    >>> Does anyone use the Helicon Filter Free 4.27 software to remove noise?
    >>> How
    >>> are you satisfied with it (if you are using it)? Pros and cones?
    >>>
    >>> I'm rather new to the digital photography and I'd like to learn how to
    >>> use the noise reduction software (noise tends to appear in my poor
    >>> lightning photographs, I'm still learning how to avoid it), and someone
    >>> suggested to use Noise Ninja, but before I actually purchase such a
    >>> software, I'd like to know if it's worth it, so I'd like to try with
    >>> freeware first.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> I'm unfamiliar with the Helicon Filter Free software, but I have used
    >> Noise Ninja and it can be quite effective. The greatest caveat in using
    >> such software is to avoid overprocessing, which can obscure the fine
    >> detail in your images and (in the case of portraits) give the image a
    >> "plasticy' appearance. Rather than apply such correction globally to the
    >> image, it is often more successful to use masks to apply noise reduction
    >> selectively to only those parts of the image where noise is most apparent
    >> (the sky, for example). I've tried both Noise Ninja and Neat Image, and
    >> of the two, I find Noise Ninja the more intuitive to use.

    > There's a free version of NeatImage. They call it the "demo edition".

    I should add that plug-in support for demo edition v5.6 is limited.

    VicTek, Dec 14, 2006
  7. T.

    Rod Williams Guest

    T. wrote:
    > (Cross-posted)
    > Does anyone use the Helicon Filter Free 4.27 software to remove noise? How
    > are you satisfied with it (if you are using it)? Pros and cones?
    >
    > I'm rather new to the digital photography and I'd like to learn how to use
    > the noise reduction software (noise tends to appear in my poor lightning
    > photographs, I'm still learning how to avoid it), and someone suggested to
    > use Noise Ninja, but before I actually purchase such a software, I'd like to
    > know if it's worth it, so I'd like to try with freeware first.
    >
    > Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

    I have Noiseware Pro plugin for Photoshop. It works well but the great
    thing is I never have to leave Photoshop.

    Rod Williams, Dec 15, 2006