OT: News Srever Dilemma

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Puma, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. Puma

    Puma Guest

    This a bit off-topic, but Bellsouth (my ISP) has recently discontinued
    newsgroups in the alt and bien (???) realm. They cited possibility of
    supporting child pornography as the reason.

    Now, I'm all for keeping child pornography out of the reach of folks, but
    it also effectively shuts out my favorite groups: alt.binaries.pictures.cd-
    covers, alt.fan.mozilla (I don't know how this is getting thru) and other
    such mostly innocuous groups.

    I've tried a Google search for free news servers but that is a losing
    battle! So far, if they load *any* groups at all, it's like 20 or 1000 or
    something like that. None of the groups I find useful.

    I did find a "mozilla.support.firefox" group but it didn't have a lot of
    traffic.

    So ... can anyone recommend a free news server(s) that might possibly have
    a lot of groups? The ones I've found (and I've tried for 2 days or so) have
    been very disappointing.

    I appreciate anyone pointing me in some direction besides the one(s) I've
    been going in for a while.

    Robert

    Puma, Jul 15, 2008

  2. Puma

    bgregg Guest

    Puma wrote:

    > So ... can anyone recommend a free news server(s) that might possibly have
    > a lot of groups? The ones I've found (and I've tried for 2 days or so) have
    > been very disappointing.
    >
    > I appreciate anyone pointing me in some direction besides the one(s) I've
    > been going in for a while.
    >
    > Robert

    Free servers are hard to find now, but I use news.individual.net, and
    it's only about $12USD per year. Been using it a long time and never
    any problem.

    Bill

    bgregg, Jul 15, 2008

  3. Puma wrote:
    > This a bit off-topic, but Bellsouth (my ISP) has recently discontinued
    > newsgroups in the alt and bien (???) realm. They cited possibility of
    > supporting child pornography as the reason.
    >
    > Now, I'm all for keeping child pornography out of the reach of folks, but
    > it also effectively shuts out my favorite groups: alt.binaries.pictures.cd-
    > covers, alt.fan.mozilla (I don't know how this is getting thru) and other
    > such mostly innocuous groups.
    >
    > I've tried a Google search for free news servers but that is a losing
    > battle! So far, if they load *any* groups at all, it's like 20 or 1000 or
    > something like that. None of the groups I find useful.
    >
    > I did find a "mozilla.support.firefox" group but it didn't have a lot of
    > traffic.
    >
    > So ... can anyone recommend a free news server(s) that might possibly have
    > a lot of groups? The ones I've found (and I've tried for 2 days or so) have
    > been very disappointing.
    >
    > I appreciate anyone pointing me in some direction besides the one(s) I've
    > been going in for a while.
    >
    > Robert

    this is happening more and more with news servers. You
    can always contact Bell and ask them to bring back
    alt.fan.mozilla.

    Failing that, the FF newsgroup you cited is an official
    group. The messages appear on their server and on
    googlegroups, but because of the huge amount of spam
    coming in from googlegroups, the Mozilla people might
    have stopped service to googlegroups. Anyways, to
    contact the mozilla.support.firefox newsgroup, you need
    to create a new account for news.mozilla.org

    As for a FREE server, try Ray Banana's server:
    http://news.motzarella.org/. He's only got text groups
    and not binaries.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 15, 2008
  4. Puma

    Jim Lahue Guest

    bgregg wrote:
    > Puma wrote:
    >

    >> So ... can anyone recommend a free news server(s) that might possibly
    >> have a lot of groups? The ones I've found (and I've tried for 2 days
    >> or so) have been very disappointing.
    >>
    >> I appreciate anyone pointing me in some direction besides the one(s)
    >> I've been going in for a while.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Free servers are hard to find now, but I use news.individual.net, and
    > it's only about $12USD per year. Been using it a long time and never
    > any problem.
    >
    > Bill

    No alt.binaries newsgroups, though on news.individual.net. Just text.

    Jim Lahue

    Jim Lahue, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Puma

    elaich Guest

    Puma <> wrote in

    > So ... can anyone recommend a free news server(s) that might possibly
    > have a lot of groups?

    motzarella.org
    aioe.org

    elaich, Jul 16, 2008
  6. elaich wrote:
    > Puma <> wrote in
    >
    >> So ... can anyone recommend a free news server(s) that might possibly
    >> have a lot of groups?

    > motzarella.org
    > aioe.org

    Thanks for this
    Just signed up for motzarella.org
    It carries the ngs I use and I got a post straight through to a
    moderated newsgroup (uk.legal.moderated) which is more than some
    services have managed!
    If it prove reliable I will leave individual.

    Invisible Man, Jul 16, 2008
  7. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo <>
    wrote in news:g5j9gg$f6f$:

    > http://news.motzarella.org/

    Thanks to all who provided sites and information. I'm gonna give the
    Motzarella site a try.

    Interestingly, it wouldn't let me register with the "bellsouth" address and
    I had to use the Gmail one.

    Thanks to all, again,

    Robert

    Puma, Jul 16, 2008
  8. Puma

    yogi22 Guest

    Puma wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo <>
    > wrote in news:g5j9gg$f6f$:
    >
    >> http://news.motzarella.org/

    > Thanks to all who provided sites and information. I'm gonna give the
    > Motzarella site a try.
    >
    > Interestingly, it wouldn't let me register with the "bellsouth" address and
    > I had to use the Gmail one.
    >
    > Thanks to all, again,
    >
    > Robert

    I have been following this thread with interest, as Sympatico got out of
    newsgroups some time ago. After jumping through hoops, I managed to
    subscribe to the free alternative offered "news.bell.newshosting.com".
    This has worked fine, but only in the "read-only" mode. To send a
    message, one must have a paid account.

    Being a cheapster, I have been reading this informative and helpful
    group in TB, but have had to go to Google Groups to add my two-bits worth.

    Bottom Line Is: I have registered with Motzarella and I had no trouble
    subscribing (once I reread the welcome message, and realized that I had
    to check off "Always request authentication when connecting to this
    server" in "Server Settings"). So, if you can read this, it worked!

    Thank you again Peter Potamus.
    kk

    yogi22, Jul 17, 2008
  9. yogi22 wrote:
    > Puma wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> http://news.motzarella.org/

    >> Thanks to all who provided sites and information. I'm gonna give the
    >> Motzarella site a try.
    >>
    >> Interestingly, it wouldn't let me register with the "bellsouth"
    >> address and I had to use the Gmail one.
    >> Thanks to all, again,
    >>
    >> Robert

    > I have been following this thread with interest, as Sympatico got out of
    > newsgroups some time ago. After jumping through hoops, I managed to
    > subscribe to the free alternative offered "news.bell.newshosting.com".
    > This has worked fine, but only in the "read-only" mode. To send a
    > message, one must have a paid account.
    >
    > Being a cheapster, I have been reading this informative and helpful
    > group in TB, but have had to go to Google Groups to add my two-bits worth.
    >
    > Bottom Line Is: I have registered with Motzarella and I had no trouble
    > subscribing (once I reread the welcome message, and realized that I had
    > to check off "Always request authentication when connecting to this
    > server" in "Server Settings"). So, if you can read this, it worked!
    >
    > Thank you again Peter Potamus.
    > kk

    yuppers, it worked. You made it.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 17, 2008