OT: New laptop! And Dynamic stiping question

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Larry Hodges, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Many of you know I've been considering a laptop for quite some time.
    Finally bought an HP Pavilion dv9000, Core2 Duo T5500, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 2 x
    100gb SATA drives, GeForce Go 7600 256mb dedicated vid card, 17" wide screen
    and TV tuner card, 1000mbps network card, wireles NIC as well. Costco,
    $1,500! Yay!

    I'll think I'll leave XP Media Edition on until Vista x64 is released.

    Now that I'm done bragging, I do have a question. I already asked this in
    microsoft.public.storage, but got no response, you you are the lucky guys
    and gals today.

    I have two Fujitsu 100gb HDDs. Has anyone converted their disks to Dynamic
    and striped their drives, basically running software RAID0? Any feedback
    for me? I've moved much of my data to the laptop and access that from my
    other two workstations, so increased throughput would be nice. Going from
    U320 SCSI RAID0 to this was definitely a hit in performance, so I would
    consider it if it does really improve throughput.

    The HDDs are Fujitsu MHV2100BH, and are SATA not IDE. Here are the drive
    specs:

    http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/mobile/mhv2120bh-sata.html

    I'm not concerned about redundancy and running RAID0. I back up daily on
    DAT from my main workstation. I will opt for performance over redundancy in
    my case.

    And as a second part of that, I would think that battery consumption would
    go up since both drives are spinning up each call to disk. Am I right in
    that assumption?

    Give me some feedback and comments my geek bruthas...

    -Larry
    Larry Hodges, Oct 14, 2006

  2. Re: New laptop! And Dynamic stiping question

    RAID0 - Bad idea. Not only no redundancy, but you actually double your risk
    of catastrophic failure and irrecoverable data loss. You want faster? Buy a
    better HD. The 7200 RPM Seagates, for example.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 14, 2006