OT Network problem sort of

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Waite, James, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Waite, James

    Waite, James Guest

    Waite, James, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Waite, James

    Dragon Guest

    Seems a bit of Name resolution issue. Try using host files on both PCs and
    map them to the IPs on the crossover network.

    "Waite, James" <> wrote in message

    Dragon, Sep 30, 2003

  3. This sounds like PC2 is having a NetBIOS name resolution problem. Make sure
    PC2 has NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.

    Can PC2 access any other shares on any othe machines on your network using
    Network Neightborhood? I had one W2K Pro machine that refused to work with
    Network Neightborhood (i.e., NetBIOS names) untill I installed the NetBEUI
    driver. After that it worked fine. None of the other W2K machines had
    NetBEUI installed, and the problematic machine had all of the latest service
    updates. I'm still scratching my head over it.

    James D. Murray, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Waite, James

    Waite, James Guest

    Yeah, that's the thing, I can access shares just fine. I can even see the
    printer in Network Neighborhood. NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled was one of the
    fist things I checked. I tried installing NetBEUI, but that didn't resolve
    it. Using the IP address works, it's just annoying me that I cant figure it
    out.

    "James D. Murray" <james{at}idstouch{dot}com> wrote in message
    > This sounds like PC2 is having a NetBIOS name resolution problem. Make

    sure
    > PC2 has NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.
    >
    > Can PC2 access any other shares on any othe machines on your network using
    > Network Neightborhood? I had one W2K Pro machine that refused to work with
    > Network Neightborhood (i.e., NetBIOS names) untill I installed the NetBEUI
    > driver. After that it worked fine. None of the other W2K machines had
    > NetBEUI installed, and the problematic machine had all of the latest

    service
    > updates. I'm still scratching my head over it.
    >

    > "Waite, James" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Any thoughts on this, not really a problem but sure is bugging me.
    > >
    > > Very simple network. 2 machines directly connected NIC to NIC with a
    > > crossover cable.
    > > Both machines are WIN 2000 Pro SP4 with
    > > TCP/IP (NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled)
    > > File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft networks
    > > Client for Microsoft Networks
    > >
    > > 1 machine has a USB DSL Modem (PC1)
    > > PC1 also as PPPoE protocol install to support the USB Modem (PPPoE is

    only
    > > bound the USB Modem)
    > > PC1 has an Epson C60 Printer installed on LPT1
    > > PC1 is sharing the Epson Printer as EPSON
    > > PC1 has ICS enabled to share the broadband connection
    > >
    > > ICS works, no problems at all
    > > PC2 obtains a address from ICS, no problem
    > > PC2 is able to ping PC1 with both IP address and name
    > > PC2 can reach share on PC1 with both IP address and name
    > > PC2 CANNOT map to a shared printer on PC1 using computer name, but can

    > using
    > > IP address
    > >
    > > PC1 can see the printer in explorer, but if the printer is right clicked

    > and
    > > "connect to" is chosen the following error results: Could not connect

    > > the printer. You either entered a printer name that was incorrect or the
    > > specified printer is no longer connected to the server. Click help for

    > more
    > > information.
    > >
    > > The same error message in Add Printer Wizard, except that in the Printer
    > > Information Box before clicking next to accept the printer selected

    > Error:
    > > The Printer name is invalid. (Printer name is "EPSON" best I can tell

    no

    Waite, James, Sep 30, 2003