    the skiing? I see NBC is broadcasting 4:3 480 pixels but the output is
    extremely sharpened. Oddly enough the commercials seem fine.

    Mark_
    mark_digital©, Feb 13, 2006

  2. mark_digital©

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/13/06 4:03 AM, in article ,
    "mark_digital©" <> wrote:

    > Was wondering if anyone else has had to revert to analog TV signal to watch
    > the skiing? I see NBC is broadcasting 4:3 480 pixels but the output is
    > extremely sharpened. Oddly enough the commercials seem fine.
    >
    > Mark_

    Wrong group. Try "alt.tv.tech.hdtv"...

    George Kerby, Feb 13, 2006

  3. mark_digital©

    Mark² Guest

    mark_digital© wrote:
    > Was wondering if anyone else has had to revert to analog TV signal to
    > watch the skiing? I see NBC is broadcasting 4:3 480 pixels but the
    > output is extremely sharpened. Oddly enough the commercials seem fine.
    >
    > Mark_

    It even looks extremely sharpened on standard cable!
    -The WORST Olympics picture I've ever seen.
    Even the studio shots are horrible.
    It makes me wonder if their system for down-sampling HD to standard is
    somehow screwed up.
    It's just really really bad to the point of serious distraction.
    Did you see the "Flying Tomato's" hair last night, as it literally seemed to
    flash on and off, as though it had white lights in it? Jeeeeez their images
    are bad!
    :(
    Mark², Feb 13, 2006
  4. Mark² wrote:
    > mark_digital© wrote:
    >> Was wondering if anyone else has had to revert to analog TV signal to
    >> watch the skiing? I see NBC is broadcasting 4:3 480 pixels but the
    >> output is extremely sharpened. Oddly enough the commercials seem
    >> fine. Mark_

    > It even looks extremely sharpened on standard cable!
    > -The WORST Olympics picture I've ever seen.
    > Even the studio shots are horrible.
    > It makes me wonder if their system for down-sampling HD to standard is
    > somehow screwed up.
    > It's just really really bad to the point of serious distraction.
    > Did you see the "Flying Tomato's" hair last night, as it literally
    > seemed to flash on and off, as though it had white lights in it? Jeeeeez
    > their images are bad!
    > :(

    Sad to say that, whilst digital photography has improved the general
    ability to take good images, digital television is currently giving us
    some of the poorest quality TV we've has for a long while. One can only
    hope that once all the standards are sorted out, and the standards
    convertors are removed from the path, we will actually get some benefit.

    Of course, the drastically larger number of channels at vastly poorer
    artistic and technical quality is another issue!

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 13, 2006
  5. mark_digital©

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:55:23 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >> It's just really really bad to the point of serious distraction.
    >> Did you see the "Flying Tomato's" hair last night, as it literally
    >> seemed to flash on and off, as though it had white lights in it? Jeeeeez
    >> their images are bad!
    >> :(

    > Sad to say that, whilst digital photography has improved the general
    > ability to take good images, digital television is currently giving us
    > some of the poorest quality TV we've has for a long while. One can only
    > hope that once all the standards are sorted out, and the standards
    > convertors are removed from the path, we will actually get some benefit.

    Wouldn't the flickering tomato be cause by too rapid movement for
    the "compression" technology to cope? What works well for general
    subjects is often broken by special cases.

    > Of course, the drastically larger number of channels at vastly poorer
    > artistic and technical quality is another issue!

    Ah, broadcast TV, the last bastion of quality programming. <g>
    Yeah, cable has a lot of junk, but it also has such as CSPAN-2's
    Book TV. Unfortunately in this area (Cablevision), that channel is
    too often preempted by local Jamaican and Bollywood MTV type music
    videos and endless real estate and shyster lawyer ads.
    ASAAR, Feb 13, 2006
  6. mark_digital©

    Mark C. Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:55:23 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    > > Of course, the drastically larger number of channels at vastly poorer
    > > artistic and technical quality is another issue!

    > Ah, broadcast TV, the last bastion of quality programming. <g>
    > Yeah, cable has a lot of junk, but it also has such as CSPAN-2's
    > Book TV. Unfortunately in this area (Cablevision), that channel is
    > too often preempted by local Jamaican and Bollywood MTV type music
    > videos and endless real estate and shyster lawyer ads.

    For what it's worth the FCC has just reconsidered its position
    on "a la carte" cable programming, and Sen. McCain is going
    to introduce legislation in a few weeks to encourage cable
    operators to offer that service. Finally, we'll be able to pay for
    just the channels we want, without having to subsidize the other
    85%, which is absolute crap. Finally, I won't be forced to
    receive junk channels like GolfTV and Fox "News" to get
    C-SPAN and Comedy Central.
    Mark C., Feb 13, 2006
  7. mark_digital©

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:30:26 GMT, Mark C. wrote:

    > For what it's worth the FCC has just reconsidered its position
    > on "a la carte" cable programming, and Sen. McCain is going
    > to introduce legislation in a few weeks to encourage cable
    > operators to offer that service. Finally, we'll be able to pay for
    > just the channels we want, without having to subsidize the other
    > 85%, which is absolute crap. Finally, I won't be forced to
    > receive junk channels like GolfTV and Fox "News" to get
    > C-SPAN and Comedy Central.

    There's been a little of that in the news lately. It will need
    some careful consideration to get it right, since junk channels tend
    to be more heavily watched, and some of the better, small audience
    channels might be abandoned if more money could be made by having 15
    Disney, 12 MSNBC and 26 Fox channels. At least there's a chance for
    more public feedback that might even be considered, now that the
    arrogant Powell regime is over. What is NOT needed is a politically
    motivated overseer, which might produce a mess similar to what has
    been happening recently with the CPB.
    ASAAR, Feb 13, 2006
  8. Mark² wrote:
    > mark_digital© wrote:
    >
    >>Was wondering if anyone else has had to revert to analog TV signal to
    >>watch the skiing? I see NBC is broadcasting 4:3 480 pixels but the
    >>output is extremely sharpened. Oddly enough the commercials seem fine.
    >>
    >>Mark_

    > It even looks extremely sharpened on standard cable!
    > -The WORST Olympics picture I've ever seen.
    > Even the studio shots are horrible.
    > It makes me wonder if their system for down-sampling HD to standard is
    > somehow screwed up.
    > It's just really really bad to the point of serious distraction.
    > Did you see the "Flying Tomato's" hair last night, as it literally seemed to
    > flash on and off, as though it had white lights in it? Jeeeeez their images
    > are bad!
    > :(

    The images from some cameras are really great on HDTV (768x1366
    pixels. In fact truly stunning compared to regular TV
    that looks like crap after viewing full HD. But not all the
    cameras have the full HD capability, so it seems that the
    HD resolution is changing from shot to shot.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 14, 2006
  9. "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > The images from some cameras are really great on HDTV (768x1366
    > pixels. In fact truly stunning compared to regular TV
    > that looks like crap after viewing full HD. But not all the
    > cameras have the full HD capability, so it seems that the
    > HD resolution is changing from shot to shot.
    >
    > Roger

    Close-ups are are good but not much better. They're capturing at 500 frames
    per second and their followup slo-mo's are perfect, so I don't think it's
    the cameras. It's the reprocessing. Their technicians are screwing up back
    in the control room or maybe they're uplinking to satellite via mpeg4 and
    that's too much compression; too much halow artifacts.

    Mark_
    mark_digital©, Feb 14, 2006
  10. mark_digital©

    Bryan Olson Guest

    mark_digital© wrote:
    > Was wondering if anyone else has had to revert to analog TV signal to watch
    > the skiing? I see NBC is broadcasting 4:3 480 pixels but the output is
    > extremely sharpened. Oddly enough the commercials seem fine.

    I got and recorded it in 16:9 HD. Your local channel may be
    having trouble.

    --
    --Bryan
    Bryan Olson, Feb 14, 2006