OT: Nanny state gone insane

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 11, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    This was just too ridiculous.

    11 January 2011 Last updated at 11:36

    Swansea teacher sacked after taking pupils sledging
    Cefn Hengoed Community School Richard Tremelling was sacked from his
    job at Cefn Hengoed Community School

    A teacher was sacked after bringing a sledge into school and allowing
    two pupils to ride on it, a disciplinary hearing has heard.

    Design teacher Richard Tremelling said he took it to Cefn Hengoed
    Community School, Swansea, in February 2009 as an example of "classic
    design".

    He was dismissed for failing to follow the school's health and safety
    policy.

    The General Teaching Council (GTC) committee found him guilty of
    unacceptable professional conduct.

    The professional conduct committee found four charges proven,
    including allowing the pupils to go sledging and ignoring cautionary
    words of warning from colleagues.

    The hearing heard that two boys on Mr Tremelling's GCSE design and
    technology course asked to try out the sledge at the end of the
    lesson, and he took them sledging on the snow-covered school grounds.

    Mr Tremelling was initially suspended pending an inquiry, accused of
    failing to consult the head teacher, or writing to the school
    governors, before setting off.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

    Given that it was not over hard ground but grass, I did not deem
    that head gear was necessary”

    End Quote Richard Tremelling

    While he maintained he risk-assessed the activity before it began, he
    was told he should have done it in writing.

    Mr Tremelling is accused of nine separate breaches, amounting to an
    alleged failure in his duty of care to pupils.

    Appearing before a professional conduct committee on Monday, he argued
    that the sledging session was a logical extension of a lesson.

    Mr Tremelling said his own risk assessment had been sufficient and
    that a written assessment had been unnecessary.

    "I did not go sledding on a cheap Asda £10 sledge," Mr Tremelling told
    the committee. "I went on a Scandinavian classic design sledge which
    has built-in safety features, and also a brake."

    He agreed that neither of the pupils involved had worn protective
    masks but said he did not believe they were necessary.

    The sledge in question was a Scandinavian "snow racer" which was an
    "exceedingly stable sledge", Mr Tremelling told the hearing.

    "Given that it was not over hard ground but grass, I did not deem that
    head gear was necessary."
    'No significant risk'

    Because riders sit upright on the sledge he did not think knee or
    elbow pads were necessary either.

    The hearing heard that school policy stated that written permission
    was needed for any outside activity or visit.

    But Mr Tremelling said that did not regard the sledging as either an
    official activity because it was within school, or a visit out of
    school.

    An independent assessment had later been made of the sledging which
    concluded "no significant risk" was presented by Mr Tremelling's
    actions.

    Mr Tremelling said the sledge, while appropriate for the weather, was
    also made of wood, metal and plastic, which was rare in itself and
    useful for teaching purposes.

    The GTC's professional conduct committee hearing in Cardiff found him
    guilty of four out of nine charges: That he allowed pupils to go
    sledging, didn't have head teacher's permission, ignored cautionary
    words of warning from colleagues and denied the allegation when
    questioned by the head.

    It has retired to consider what sanction to bring against him.

    He was cleared of five charges, including that there was no risk
    assement, there was no parental consent and health and safety
    guidelines were not followed.

    RichA, Jan 11, 2011

  2. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 04:01:21 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >This was just too ridiculous.
    >
    >11 January 2011 Last updated at 11:36
    >
    >Swansea teacher sacked after taking pupils sledging
    >Cefn Hengoed Community School Richard Tremelling was sacked from his
    >job at Cefn Hengoed Community School
    >
    >A teacher was sacked after bringing a sledge into school and allowing
    >two pupils to ride on it, a disciplinary hearing has heard.

    I've heard of riding a shovel, but never a hammer.

    John A., Jan 11, 2011

  3. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    OK, so where are the pictures you took at the hearing? And the fine landscapes
    and seascapes you took in the Welsh countryside, whilst you were there?
    Because if you can't present *any* photographic content, this diatribe is
    absurdly off-topic, even for you.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 12, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: OT: Nanny state gone insane

    On Jan 11, 9:30 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > OK, so where are the pictures you took at the hearing? And the fine landscapes
    > and seascapes you took in the Welsh countryside, whilst you were there?
    > Because if you can't present *any* photographic content, this diatribe is
    > absurdly off-topic, even for you.
    >
    > Bob

    It's linked loosely to the oppression of photogs in an increasingly
    nanny-dictatorial state that Britain finds itself in.

    RichA, Jan 12, 2011
  5. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Re: OT: Nanny state gone insane

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 05:35:27 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Jan 11, 9:30 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, so where are the pictures you took at the hearing? And the fine landscapes
    >> and seascapes you took in the Welsh countryside, whilst you were there?
    >> Because if you can't present *any* photographic content, this diatribe is
    >> absurdly off-topic, even for you.
    >>
    >> Bob

    >It's linked loosely to the oppression of photogs in an increasingly
    >nanny-dictatorial state that Britain finds itself in.

    Very.

    John A., Jan 12, 2011
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jan 11, 9:30 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >> OK, so where are the pictures you took at the hearing? And the fine landscapes
    >> and seascapes you took in the Welsh countryside, whilst you were there?
    >> Because if you can't present *any* photographic content, this diatribe is
    >> absurdly off-topic, even for you.

    >It's linked loosely to the oppression of photogs in an increasingly
    >nanny-dictatorial state that Britain finds itself in.

    No, it isn't linked at all.

    But if it keeps miserable people like you away from the UK,
    it can only be a good thing.

    Bruce, Jan 12, 2011