    for waiters' combined tips (think I saw it in a crossword).
    Driving me (and others) nuts trying to think of it (sad bastards).
    Any ideas?

    Smirnoff, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Smirnoff

    William Guest

    William, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Smirnoff

    Mike Easter Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:
    > Have tried Google and Jeeves. Seem to remember that there is a
    > specific term for waiters' combined tips (think I saw it in a
    > crossword).
    > Driving me (and others) nuts trying to think of it (sad bastards).
    > Any ideas?

    The tip pool, which comes under a lot of regulation because of tax
    issues, is called a 'tronc' and it is administered by the 'troncmaster'.

    Depending on the jurisdiction, the employer has to tell the taxman who
    is the troncmaster, and if the employer has a say in how the pool is
    divided up, there are other taxes as well.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    William wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >> Have tried Google and Jeeves. Seem to remember that there is a specific
    >> term for waiters' combined tips (think I saw it in a crossword).
    >> Driving me (and others) nuts trying to think of it (sad bastards).
    >> Any ideas?

    > Tronc
    > http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/difficultwords/data/d0013254.html

    Thanks but not the term I remember. Rather than a tax term it is a generic
    term used by waiters, similar to "Kitty".

    Smirnoff, Jul 27, 2006
  5. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >> Have tried Google and Jeeves. Seem to remember that there is a
    >> specific term for waiters' combined tips (think I saw it in a
    >> crossword).
    >> Driving me (and others) nuts trying to think of it (sad bastards).
    >> Any ideas?

    > The tip pool, which comes under a lot of regulation because of tax
    > issues, is called a 'tronc' and it is administered by the 'troncmaster'.
    >
    > Depending on the jurisdiction, the employer has to tell the taxman who
    > is the troncmaster, and if the employer has a say in how the pool is
    > divided up, there are other taxes as well.

    Thanks. Please see my reply to William.

    Smirnoff, Jul 27, 2006
  6. Smirnoff

    Mike Easter Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:

    > Thanks but not the term I remember. Rather than a tax term it is a
    > generic term used by waiters, similar to "Kitty".

    Maybe some particular group of waiters you heard of or knew had some
    particular pet name for their tronc/kitty/pool which isn't general
    knowledge. You would have to contact the particular waiter pool where
    you heard the word to get their pool's or jar's pet name.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 27, 2006
  7. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks but not the term I remember. Rather than a tax term it is a
    >> generic term used by waiters, similar to "Kitty".

    > Maybe some particular group of waiters you heard of or knew had some
    > particular pet name for their tronc/kitty/pool which isn't general
    > knowledge. You would have to contact the particular waiter pool where
    > you heard the word to get their pool's or jar's pet name.

    It maybe a peculiarly English word. As I say, I first saw it in a crossword
    and then found it in the dictionary.
    My own fault, I should have made a note of it.
    It was something like tonypandy or tarivari, however I'll keep looking and
    if I find it I'll post back.

    Smirnoff, Jul 27, 2006
  8. Smirnoff

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:

    > William wrote:
    >
    >>Smirnoff wrote:
    >>
    >>>Have tried Google and Jeeves. Seem to remember that there is a specific
    >>>term for waiters' combined tips (think I saw it in a crossword).
    >>>Driving me (and others) nuts trying to think of it (sad bastards).
    >>>Any ideas?

    >>Tronc
    >>http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/difficultwords/data/d0013254.html

    > Thanks but not the term I remember. Rather than a tax term it is a generic
    > term used by waiters, similar to "Kitty".

    I'll bet that there are a LOT of idomatic names for it, depending on
    where you work!

    Rick Merrill, Jul 27, 2006
  9. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> William wrote:

    >>> Tronc
    >>> http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/difficultwords/data/d0013254.html

    >> Thanks but not the term I remember. Rather than a tax term it is a
    >> generic term used by waiters, similar to "Kitty".
    >>

    > I'll bet that there are a LOT of idomatic names for it, depending on
    > where you work!

    Yes, I take your point but as I said, I remember it as a crossword answer
    and looking up the word in the dictionary.

    Smirnoff, Jul 27, 2006
  10. Smirnoff

    Mike Easter Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:

    > Yes, I take your point but as I said, I remember it as a crossword
    > answer and looking up the word in the dictionary.

    But science and police work and other investigations have proven the
    faultiness of such recollections.

    There's a brand new article about understanding how to 'trip' the false
    'memory' deja vu sensation.

    But I'm sticking with you for a while :) -- was the dictionary you
    recall an online or deadtree version?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 27, 2006
  11. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, I take your point but as I said, I remember it as a crossword
    >> answer and looking up the word in the dictionary.

    > But science and police work and other investigations have proven the
    > faultiness of such recollections.
    >
    > There's a brand new article about understanding how to 'trip' the false
    > 'memory' deja vu sensation.
    >
    > But I'm sticking with you for a while :) -- was the dictionary you
    > recall an online or deadtree version?

    Chambers' 20th Century (deadtree)

    Smirnoff, Jul 27, 2006
  12. Smirnoff

    john Guest

    TONTINE?

    john, Jul 28, 2006
  13. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    john wrote:
    > TONTINE?

    I think you'll find that a tontine is a scheme whereby several people invest
    a certain amount of money that eventually goes to the last surviving person.
    Thanks anyway.

    Smirnoff, Jul 28, 2006