OT: My local ISP Tech support - incompetence at it's very best

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by S. O'Brien, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. S. O'Brien

    S. O'Brien Guest

    I had an issue saturday night... 0x800CCC0E error... no big deal. Tried to
    call Tech Support to find out estimated time of repair. Got send to voice
    mail... got "Mailbox is full". Email came back up. Sent complaint to tech
    support. I had posted the appropriate MS KB Article 191687 for reference
    purposes... article states the following error:

    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'your_account',
    Server:'your_SMTP_server', Protocol:SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): NO, Socket
    error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e Similarly, when you start the e-mail
    client or try to receive a message from your Post Office Protocol version 3
    (POP3) server, you may receive the following error:

    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'your_account',
    Server:'your_POP3_server', Protocol:pOP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): NO, Socket
    error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e

    The "tech" wrote back with the following reply:

    The error message that you sent in states that you have the server names for
    the email account "your_account" entered as "your_POP3_server" and
    "your_SMTP_server". These should be..... (correct settings)

    The funny part is (and I will explain it to those of you who do NOT see the
    obvious problem) that my settings were correct and I was NOT using the error
    message I receive in my mail client but the verbatim came from MS Web Site
    and this tech could not see this even though I stated that I had a problem
    "which is described as follows by Microsoft:..."

    I doubt I will be applying for a job with these guys anytime soon if this is
    the standard they live up to. ATTENTION TO DETAIL folks.

    Stupid thing was, I just wanted to find out how long... when it came back up
    I wanted them to know I was dissatisfied with being told the mailbox was
    FULL!! He did not address my concerns at all!!

    Braindumper perhaps???? I'm suspecting so... incompetent at the very least.

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good
    example." --Mark Twain
    S. O'Brien, Nov 3, 2003

  2. S. O'Brien

    JaR Guest

    Re: My local ISP Tech support - incompetence at it's very best

    "S. O'Brien" <> wrote in message
    > I had an issue saturday night... 0x800CCC0E error... no big deal. Tried

    > call Tech Support to find >Ka-Scnip<

    You may remember my post about the quality support at Dull. Just to follow
    up, I was trying to get the horizontal and vertical display frequencies as I
    have to manually enter them for a SuSe install. After two weeks, and four
    seperate requests via e-mail, (Tried calling the 800 number but gave up
    after 20 mins on hold) I finally get a response from "Alice" informing me
    that they do not support any software other than what they install. Being as
    how I needed the info for a Linux install, they were not obligated to give
    me the settings.

    This is coming close to the debacle with HP wherin they fedexed me an
    *empty* box because i did not pay the handling fee for a back up copy of
    Windows that I had not recieved with a new PC. That, however is a whole
    'nuther story.

    Where do the find these submorons?

    JaR
    JaR, Nov 3, 2003