    feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    can the cable be?

    Gib Bogle, Nov 12, 2012

  2. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    On 13/11/2012 9:29 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    > feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    > go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    > can the cable be?

    If you use something to transmit from the sky box to the TV in another
    room, then you have the problem that you'll need to change room to
    change channels etc...
    Don't re-route the cable if its set up neatly with a wall socket - leave
    it where it is, get a two-way splitter, and run a new cable to the
    second room. OTOH the sky installer who set up our dish etc was as
    rough as guts and left a metre or two of loose cable coiled up behind a
    curtain, no wall socket, and in that case I'd just re-route the cable
    unless I expected to need to have a decoder back in the original
    location some time.
    I doubt you'll have a problem with cable length. You lose a few dB
    signal strength each time you split the signal, but not a big deal with
    a two or three way splitter. You might have a problem fitting new plugs
    to cables - most of the plugs and sockets need to be fitted to the cable
    using a crimping tool - I suggest you pay the $15 or whatever it costs
    for the tool if you can't borrow one. The plugs tend to disintegrate if
    you try using pliers to crimp them.

    Me, Nov 12, 2012

  3. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    On 13/11/2012 11:20 a.m., Me wrote:
    > On 13/11/2012 9:29 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >> can the cable be?

    > If you use something to transmit from the sky box to the TV in another
    > room, then you have the problem that you'll need to change room to
    > change channels etc...
    > Don't re-route the cable if its set up neatly with a wall socket - leave
    > it where it is, get a two-way splitter, and run a new cable to the
    > second room. OTOH the sky installer who set up our dish etc was as
    > rough as guts and left a metre or two of loose cable coiled up behind a
    > curtain, no wall socket, and in that case I'd just re-route the cable
    > unless I expected to need to have a decoder back in the original
    > location some time.
    > I doubt you'll have a problem with cable length. You lose a few dB
    > signal strength each time you split the signal, but not a big deal with
    > a two or three way splitter. You might have a problem fitting new plugs
    > to cables - most of the plugs and sockets need to be fitted to the cable
    > using a crimping tool - I suggest you pay the $15 or whatever it costs
    > for the tool if you can't borrow one. The plugs tend to disintegrate if
    > you try using pliers to crimp them.

    Forgot to mention, if you get a splitter, make sure you get one for
    satellite - not a UHF TV one. The look identical, and are the same
    price, but the UHF one isn't rated for satellite frequencies. You can
    get them at Mitre 10 etc, only about $12. The one you need should
    probably be marked "900-2400 MHz"

    Me, Nov 12, 2012
  4. On 13/11/2012 11:20 a.m., Me wrote:
    > On 13/11/2012 9:29 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >> can the cable be?

    > If you use something to transmit from the sky box to the TV in another
    > room, then you have the problem that you'll need to change room to
    > change channels etc...
    > Don't re-route the cable if its set up neatly with a wall socket - leave
    > it where it is, get a two-way splitter, and run a new cable to the
    > second room. OTOH the sky installer who set up our dish etc was as
    > rough as guts and left a metre or two of loose cable coiled up behind a
    > curtain, no wall socket, and in that case I'd just re-route the cable
    > unless I expected to need to have a decoder back in the original
    > location some time.
    > I doubt you'll have a problem with cable length. You lose a few dB
    > signal strength each time you split the signal, but not a big deal with
    > a two or three way splitter. You might have a problem fitting new plugs
    > to cables - most of the plugs and sockets need to be fitted to the cable
    > using a crimping tool - I suggest you pay the $15 or whatever it costs
    > for the tool if you can't borrow one. The plugs tend to disintegrate if
    > you try using pliers to crimp them.

    You can leave the decoder where it is, & get a 2-way wireless
    transmitter that sends the AV to another room, and receives the
    infra-red Sky remote signals back to change the channels. I've been
    using one for years to duplicate SKY on a TV in the bedroom. You just
    have to remember to take the remote with you when you change rooms. From
    memory mine (GigaAir) cost about $90.You can add receivers ($40) & have
    TV in as many rooms as you have TVs. Might be cheaper than rerouting the
    cable. Certainly more flexible.

    Ummmmmmm......., Nov 12, 2012
  5. In article <k7rm7q$ina$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >can the cable be?

    I saw a wireless repeater recently in (IIRC ?) hardly normal which (again
    IIRC) was a box in each room enabling location change without wiring ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 13, 2012
  6. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    On 13/11/2012 12:54 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    > On 13/11/2012 11:20 a.m., Me wrote:
    >> On 13/11/2012 9:29 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >>> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >>> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >>> can the cable be?

    >> If you use something to transmit from the sky box to the TV in another
    >> room, then you have the problem that you'll need to change room to
    >> change channels etc...
    >> Don't re-route the cable if its set up neatly with a wall socket - leave
    >> it where it is, get a two-way splitter, and run a new cable to the
    >> second room. OTOH the sky installer who set up our dish etc was as
    >> rough as guts and left a metre or two of loose cable coiled up behind a
    >> curtain, no wall socket, and in that case I'd just re-route the cable
    >> unless I expected to need to have a decoder back in the original
    >> location some time.
    >> I doubt you'll have a problem with cable length. You lose a few dB
    >> signal strength each time you split the signal, but not a big deal with
    >> a two or three way splitter. You might have a problem fitting new plugs
    >> to cables - most of the plugs and sockets need to be fitted to the cable
    >> using a crimping tool - I suggest you pay the $15 or whatever it costs
    >> for the tool if you can't borrow one. The plugs tend to disintegrate if
    >> you try using pliers to crimp them.

    > You can leave the decoder where it is, & get a 2-way wireless
    > transmitter that sends the AV to another room, and receives the
    > infra-red Sky remote signals back to change the channels. I've been
    > using one for years to duplicate SKY on a TV in the bedroom. You just
    > have to remember to take the remote with you when you change rooms. From
    > memory mine (GigaAir) cost about $90.You can add receivers ($40) & have
    > TV in as many rooms as you have TVs. Might be cheaper than rerouting the
    > cable. Certainly more flexible.

    Ahh - okay - that would be handy.
    The cost to add a splitter isn't high - hardware including cable is
    pretty cheap. Whether Gib Bogle likes climbing around in the roof
    space, which would probably include sitting around up there for a while
    cutting and fitting plugs on the cables in the dark is another question.

    I put in a splitter at our place so I could use two boxes, but access
    was good - >2m crawl space in the basement. It was only a 1/2 hour job.

    Me, Nov 13, 2012
  7. Gib Bogle

    JohnO Guest

    On Tuesday, 13 November 2012 12:55:10 UTC+13, Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    > On 13/11/2012 11:20 a.m., Me wrote:
    >
    > > On 13/11/2012 9:29 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:

    <snip>

    > You can leave the decoder where it is, & get a 2-way wireless
    > transmitter that sends the AV to another room, and receives the
    > infra-red Sky remote signals back to change the channels. I've been
    > using one for years to duplicate SKY on a TV in the bedroom. You just
    > have to remember to take the remote with you when you change rooms. From
    > memory mine (GigaAir) cost about $90.You can add receivers ($40) & have
    > TV in as many rooms as you have TVs. Might be cheaper than rerouting the
    > cable. Certainly more flexible.

    I've had little luck with those things, even the 5.8Ghz ones. The signal has always been degraded and the sound suffers from pops and clicks. Have tried both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz, as well has switching the channels within the bands. These ones are all composite video + L/R audio plus IR going back. Composite video always looks bad on big screen TVs.

    There are now HDMI wireless senders and the prices are dropping to a few hundred bucks. They might be worth a try for big TVs.

    JohnO, Nov 13, 2012
  8. Gib Bogle

    JohnO Guest

    <snip>

    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ADP8WR2422

    JohnO, Nov 13, 2012
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 13/11/2012 12:54 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:

    > You can leave the decoder where it is, & get a 2-way wireless
    > transmitter that sends the AV to another room, and receives the
    > infra-red Sky remote signals back to change the channels. I've been
    > using one for years to duplicate SKY on a TV in the bedroom. You just
    > have to remember to take the remote with you when you change rooms. From
    > memory mine (GigaAir) cost about $90.You can add receivers ($40) & have
    > TV in as many rooms as you have TVs. Might be cheaper than rerouting the
    > cable. Certainly more flexible.

    The flexibility is attractive, for sure. A bit of poking around shows
    that some people share JohnO's experience, though. It sounds a bit
    chancy, maybe depending on the device and also on the house layout. The
    requirement at this stage is just to view the TV in the room next to the
    decoder (only a single wall) so that aspect might be OK.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 13, 2012
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 13/11/2012 11:20 a.m., Me wrote:
    > On 13/11/2012 9:29 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >> can the cable be?

    > If you use something to transmit from the sky box to the TV in another
    > room, then you have the problem that you'll need to change room to
    > change channels etc...
    > Don't re-route the cable if its set up neatly with a wall socket - leave
    > it where it is, get a two-way splitter, and run a new cable to the
    > second room. OTOH the sky installer who set up our dish etc was as
    > rough as guts and left a metre or two of loose cable coiled up behind a
    > curtain, no wall socket, and in that case I'd just re-route the cable
    > unless I expected to need to have a decoder back in the original
    > location some time.
    > I doubt you'll have a problem with cable length. You lose a few dB
    > signal strength each time you split the signal, but not a big deal with
    > a two or three way splitter. You might have a problem fitting new plugs
    > to cables - most of the plugs and sockets need to be fitted to the cable
    > using a crimping tool - I suggest you pay the $15 or whatever it costs
    > for the tool if you can't borrow one. The plugs tend to disintegrate if
    > you try using pliers to crimp them.

    Thanks Me. Our installer was one of the rough-as-guts fraternity - no
    wall socket. I might be able to get a plug and socket fitted to a cable
    by the workshop guys at work, or borrow a crimper from them.

    Now I have to choose between the coax and wireless options. I'm bad at
    making these kinds of decisions.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 13, 2012
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 13/11/2012 1:30 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <k7rm7q$ina$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >> can the cable be?

    > I saw a wireless repeater recently in (IIRC ?) hardly normal which (again
    > IIRC) was a box in each room enabling location change without wiring ?

    Presumably something like what Ummmmm(m).... has suggested.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 13, 2012
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 13/11/2012 1:30 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <k7rm7q$ina$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >> can the cable be?

    > I saw a wireless repeater recently in (IIRC ?) hardly normal which (again
    > IIRC) was a box in each room enabling location change without wiring ?

    P.S. "Hardly normal" haha never heard that before.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 13, 2012
  13. Gib Bogle

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 14 November 2012 11:59:40 UTC+13, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <k7t0d4$8pf$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:

    snip>

    > Whatever you do, don't buy any of your stuff from bond and lemming. Their
    > customer experience is truly less than awful.

    I have access to a preferred supplier card for them - cost plus 7.5%. However that made a flash TV only about $50 cheaper than the on-sale price. Their margins are not very high so I doubt they can afford to spend much on staff.

    JohnO, Nov 13, 2012
  14. On 13/11/2012 9:20 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 13/11/2012 12:54 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    >
    >> You can leave the decoder where it is, & get a 2-way wireless
    >> transmitter that sends the AV to another room, and receives the
    >> infra-red Sky remote signals back to change the channels. I've been
    >> using one for years to duplicate SKY on a TV in the bedroom. You just
    >> have to remember to take the remote with you when you change rooms. From
    >> memory mine (GigaAir) cost about $90.You can add receivers ($40) & have
    >> TV in as many rooms as you have TVs. Might be cheaper than rerouting the
    >> cable. Certainly more flexible.

    > The flexibility is attractive, for sure. A bit of poking around shows
    > that some people share JohnO's experience, though. It sounds a bit
    > chancy, maybe depending on the device and also on the house layout. The
    > requirement at this stage is just to view the TV in the room next to the
    > decoder (only a single wall) so that aspect might be OK.

    We've got it in the room next to the decoder (single wall) The audio is
    fine, perfectly clear, no pops and crackles. The tv is small (19") and
    newish (2yrs - HD) The picture certainly isn't as good as on the 40" HD
    in the next room, but it's still quite adequate. The wireless
    transmitter is at least 10 years old, so I'm sure doesn't do HD.

    Ummmmmmm......., Nov 13, 2012
  15. In article <k7t0bh$8pf$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >On 13/11/2012 1:30 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <k7rm7q$ina$>, Gib Bogle

    > <> wrote:
    >>> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >>> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >>> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >>> can the cable be?

    >> I saw a wireless repeater recently in (IIRC ?) hardly normal which (again
    >> IIRC) was a box in each room enabling location change without wiring ?
    >>

    >Presumably something like what Ummmmm(m).... has suggested.

    Indeed. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 13, 2012
  16. In article <k7t0d4$8pf$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >On 13/11/2012 1:30 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <k7rm7q$ina$>, Gib Bogle

    > <> wrote:
    >>> I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    >>> feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    >>> go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    >>> can the cable be?

    >> I saw a wireless repeater recently in (IIRC ?) hardly normal which (again
    >> IIRC) was a box in each room enabling location change without wiring ?
    >>

    >P.S. "Hardly normal" haha never heard that before.

    Really ? Well, glad to brighten your day. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 13, 2012
  17. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 13/11/2012 9:29 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I want to move the TV and Sky decoder to another room. Is there any
    > feasible alternative to rerouting the antenna coax cable? I'll have to
    > go up into the roof space, along and down into the next room. How long
    > can the cable be?

    I am going to extend the cable. I bought a 10m cable (with connectors
    installed) from Dick Smith, meant for connecting the antenna to the TV,
    plus the bits needed to join it onto the Sky cable. From the cheapness
    of the cable ($30) I wasn't sure that it would be satisfactory, but a
    quick test showed no apparent loss of picture quality. Now I just need
    to make some holes in the ceiling and spend 10 min up in the roof space.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 16, 2012