    I would google this, but I have no clue what term to use...

    Thanks for the help,
    Scott B.
    darktiger, Oct 19, 2005

  2. On 18 Oct 2005 18:54:20 -0700, "darktiger" <> wrote:

    ~ Hello,
    ~ So, I have one Windows Server 2000 box at work that has a 56K modem...
    ~ (I have more servers, but only one with a modem). Does anyone know of
    ~ the opensource/free /less than $100 software that pings certain devices
    ~ (routers, switches, etc) and if they don't respond after, say, 4 pings
    ~ it dials a phone number (like cell) and tells you the system is down?
    ~
    ~ I would google this, but I have no clue what term to use...
    ~
    ~ Thanks for the help,
    ~ Scott B.

    A lotta guys would use something like perl for this. For the
    "dials a phone number" bit, I'd just have the perl (or whatever)
    script open a TCP connection to an always-up SMTP server and
    transmit the message (to the cell phone's message address.)
    Actually, come to think of it, with this scheme, you don't need
    the modem.

    Aaron
    Aaron Leonard, Oct 19, 2005

  3. darktiger

    darktiger Guest

    If the router is down, there is no Internet ... without Internet,
    sending a message via TCP is a bit hard..
    darktiger, Oct 19, 2005