OT: Missing hal.dll and C unreadable

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dennis Gordon, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. My apologies for not posting this in the 32 bit forums, but I know that many
    here certainly know their Windows... so a quick question.

    A colleague brought in his Dell. Won't boot. XP Home. Missing hal.dll
    "...Please reinstal the missing file...."

    Can't copy the missing file to \System32 because the hard drive has become
    unreadable; so it's missing a lot more than hal.dll.

    Drive shows in BIOS. Can't read or boot. Starting with 98 floppy, I get the
    "Your hard drive does not appear to be partitioned..." message

    Booted with CD. Was warned off of a fixmbr saying the disk was
    "non-standard" and I might bollix things.

    So I did a chkdsk instead. Very slow going. I'm letting it run overnight.

    I'm hoping that the chkdsk will at least enable the computer to see the
    contents of the drive so I can reinstall Windows. I'm not optimistic.

    Anything else I can try? I've not had great luck in reviving bad HDs. That
    dumb cage in which Dell entombs their hard drives doesn't help either.

    Again, sorry for the OT....
    Dennis Gordon, Apr 27, 2006

  2. Re: Missing hal.dll and C unreadable

    You might wanna read this:
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 27, 2006

  3. Re: Missing hal.dll and C unreadable

    Good article. Worth a try. Thanks Andre....

    Dennis Gordon, Apr 27, 2006
  4. Re: Missing hal.dll and C unreadable

    Looks like it's toasted. The drive has failed chkdsk twice after 34%.
    Probably disk failure....

    Dennis Gordon, Apr 27, 2006
  5. Re: Missing hal.dll and C unreadable

    It then becomes a matter for deciding if there's any data on there that is
    critical. No matter how toasted, the data can usually be recovered, if it
    really needs to be.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 27, 2006
  6. Re: Missing hal.dll and C unreadable

    The last time I got an estimate for data recovery it was over $700. He could
    film his own pornography for that much...;-)

    Actually he doesn't have any really essential files on it, but I'm not going
    to reformat it until I try some more, in case I'm missing something...

    Dennis Gordon, Apr 27, 2006
  7. Re: Missing hal.dll and C unreadable

    yes, it's not cheap. But if it has the only copy of your doctoral thesis...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 28, 2006