    Does the board really need an extended ATX case.

    Thanks for any assistance.
    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Oct 26, 2008

  2. Bob  AZ

    philo Guest

    "Bob AZ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
    > Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
    > will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
    > them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
    > which processors.
    >
    > Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
    > anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
    > Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.
    >
    > Does the board really need an extended ATX case.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    > Bob AZ

    I took a look a brief look at the specs and though I'm sure it will be a
    great setup...
    It may be a more expensive system than you need. That's a server class two
    cpu board.

    You do not need two cpu's...because a *dual core* CPU will be sufficient to
    run Photoshop
    extremely well.

    The board you are looking at probably has more features/functions than you
    need .

    For the amount of money you are willing to spend...
    maybe the question you should be asking is:

    Would I be better off with a quad core CPU?

    Maybe someone here is lucky enough to run Photoshop on a quad core CPU could
    comment further.

    philo, Oct 26, 2008

  3. if it says it needs extended ATX, it needs it. Certainly most dual CPU
    boards do.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 26, 2008
  4. Bob  AZ

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Bob AZ" <> wrote in message
    > I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
    > Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
    > will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
    > them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
    > which processors.
    >
    > Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
    > anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
    > Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.
    >
    > Does the board really need an extended ATX case.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    > Bob AZ

    Look on your ISP's News Server (or any one other than the Microsoft News
    Server)
    There's a group called intel.motherboards which should be able to help you.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Oct 27, 2008
  5. Bob  AZ

    hobbitville Guest

    On 10/26/2008 4:04 PM, Bob AZ wrote:
    > I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
    > Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
    > will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
    > them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
    > which processors.
    >
    > Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
    > anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
    > Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.
    >
    > Does the board really need an extended ATX case.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    > Bob AZ

    Apple uses basically the same for their Mac Pro.
    Xeon Penryn 2.8GHz 4 or 8-core. While CS3 doesn't benefit from 8-cores,
    "Snow Leopard" 10.6 and CS5 for Mac will, and it does help
    to have the 4-cores and memory to burn if you work on large files.

    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000xvn/

    Skulltrail Xeon Penryn or Nehalem based systems.
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15647

    CS4 64-bit.
    http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/adobe-creative-suite-4-first-look-20080923/

    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37643/128/
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15571

    hobbitville, Oct 27, 2008
  6. Bob  AZ

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Bob AZ" <> wrote in message
    >I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
    > Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
    > will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
    > them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
    > which processors.
    >
    > Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is

    Ohoho, you are planning to build an eight-core beast ... Here is
    some information (they use two X5365 )

    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/527/2/

    CPU mentioned above is "Clovertown" - fortunately newer "Harpertown"
    is supported (only FSB 1333 MHz, not 1600!):

    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022346.htm
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=453491

    > anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
    > Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.

    Here is a test of HP xw8600 workstation which compares
    Harpertown vs. Clovertown, Vista vs. XP and Adobe Effects ...
    http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technology/pvr/9139.html

    > Does the board really need an extended ATX case.

    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/397828.aspx
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX16321(ME).aspx
    (Here is lovely Powerpoint presentation:
    http://www.ezcom.co.kr/PDS/UndrArchSC5299.ppt :)

    And finally:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3c05dbcc/3

    HTH, Roman

    P.S. How much RAM do you plan to install?

    roman modic, Oct 28, 2008
  7. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    > HTH, Roman
    >
    > P.S. How much RAM do you plan to install?

    Roman

    Initially I plan to install 8GB using 1 GB sticks.

    I did notice an add in todays paper for some very good pricing for 4GB
    sticks but I will stay with 1GB sticks. Were 2 and 4GB sticks readilly
    available locally I would consider larger capacity sticks but for now
    I will do with 1GBs.

    Thanks to you and all the others for the replies. I will print out
    everything and do more research and shopping.

    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Oct 28, 2008
  8. If you run a pair of quad core processors with 8 GB of RAM in 8 sticks,
    you're going to set yourself up for bad performance. You're basically
    assigning each processor only 1 GB, which won't give it a whole lot of
    working room.

    For a dual quad core system, I wouldn't run less than 16 GB to get full
    utilization.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2008
  9. Bob  AZ

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > You do not need two cpu's...because a *dual core* CPU will be sufficient
    > run Photoshop
    > extremely well.

    But what if you work with 65 megapixel files? :)

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p65-announced.shtml
    Regards, Roman

    roman modic, Oct 29, 2008
  10. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    > If you run a pair of quad core processors with 8 GB of RAM in 8 sticks,
    > you're going to set yourself up for bad performance. You're basically
    > assigning each processor only 1 GB, which won't give it a whole lot of
    > working room.
    >
    > For a dual quad core system, I wouldn't run less than 16 GB to get full
    > utilization.

    Charlie

    I hade not made any firm plans for the processor(s) except that I felt
    that the Quad Processors were overkill. Also that by limiting the
    processors to Dual Processors I would not be pushing the capacity of
    the board. (I did not think of memory size in relation to the amount
    of memory per processor.)

    I do have to make a decision as to which dual core processors. Intel
    is not very defined about this and I need to be more informed. This
    will take some time.

    The response to my query has been much appreciated and I have read
    most of the rererences. I am in the midst of my busy season with
    photography and photo printing so I will not have a lot of time to get
    a new system installed and still keep up with my photography.

    So unless I get more response from Intel I will wait until the CES
    show in January to talk to them before making my purchase.

    Take care
    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Oct 30, 2008
  11. Bob  AZ

    hobbitville Guest

    On 10/29/2008 12:31 PM, roman modic wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You do not need two cpu's...because a *dual core* CPU will be
    >> sufficient to
    >> run Photoshop
    >> extremely well.
    >>

    > But what if you work with 65 megapixel files? :)
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p65-announced.shtml
    >

    > Regards, Roman

    With Nehalem so close, I would forget earlier chips and motherboards.

    Nehalem bag of tricks -
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14950
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14361
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/30/nehalem-and-x58-show-up-in-taipei/1
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/what-you-need-to-know-about-nehalem.ars

    A look at Nehalem technical details
    http://realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT040208182719

    Memory bandwidth 2008 Penryn Mac Pro made a huge improvement over
    Clovertown and Woodcrest
    http://www.barefeats.com/harper3.html

    Xeon requires FBDIMM memory and it will be interesting to see how well
    DDR3 and built-in memory controller improves things.

    Photoshop CS3 + Harpertown on Mac Pro 2008 (early Leopard OS X 10.5)
    http://www.barefeats.com/harper.html

    Older Apple Mac Pro 2007's 4-core vs 8-core, Photoshop performance
    http://www.barefeats.com/octopro3.html

    I have seen people complain about low memory bandwidth and thrashing,
    but never seen any indication there even is any relation to number of
    cores to amount of memory, or ratio of one to the other, maybe its an
    issue with systems other than Mac OS X 10.4 or .5.

    If your files get to 1GB and larger, then definitely more RAM.

    Of course CS4 is now 64-bit app (will take a major rewrite so Mac won't
    get 64-bit version until it is ported to Cocoa and Snow Leopard). And it
    seems CS4 isn't all its cracked up to be...

    .... opening and saving a file with Photoshop CS4 remain a
    single-threaded task. ... when enabling Open GL drawing in CS4, supposed
    to speed rendering, it was actually slowing it down!
    http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-10-30/#9097
    http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2008-10-blog.html#_20081025AdobeCS4OpenGL

    hobbitville, Oct 30, 2008
  12. Bob  AZ

    philo Guest

    "roman modic" <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > You do not need two cpu's...because a *dual core* CPU will be

    sufficient
    > > run Photoshop
    > > extremely well.
    > >

    > But what if you work with 65 megapixel files? :)
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p65-announced.shtml
    >

    > Regards, Roman

    that's nothing

    I built a machine for a friend of mine, who is afraid to collapse his layers
    as he
    always thinks he may want to change some minor detail.
    he creates HUGE photo-montages that are up in the 1 gigabyte range.

    The single core CPU does the job, but yes, it is very slow to say the least.

    Though a dual core is sufficient...
    I think a single quad core cpu would be enough.

    However I'd really want to ask around to see if
    two, quad core cpu's would really be worth it...
    though I do say that Photoshop is definitely CPU intensive...

    philo, Oct 31, 2008
  13. If you are working with Photoshop files of this size you should be thinking
    of fast DDR3 memory as well as quad core, otherwise the cores will be
    waiting for data when the image is regenerated.

    PS CS4 uses the graphics card for some operations, so you should also
    consider graphics cards with 768MB-1GB.

    See

    64-bit Operating System benefits and limitations in Photoshop CS4 (Windows)

    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404901&sliceId=2

    GPU and OpenGL Features and Limitations in Photoshop CS4

    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404898

    GPU accelerated features in Photoshop CS4 and Bridge CS4

    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405745&sliceId=2

    Dominic Payer, Nov 1, 2008