    said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    blankly...

    Well it was funny when he told me.
    T.N.O., Dec 3, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:12:46 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    >said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    >blankly...
    >
    >Well it was funny when he told me.

    It was funny when I read it :)
    Bret, Dec 3, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    harry Guest

    Re: Mandrake the Dog

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    > said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    > blankly...
    >
    > Well it was funny when he told me.

    Geek!
    The alternatives might have been just as confusing to her though.
    She might have named him after a dangerous root !
    http://www.shamanshop.net/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/5281.0/CategoryID/3000.0/SubCatID/0.0/file.htm
    But more likely a Clark Gable like magician
    http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/comics/mandrake/about.htm
    harry, Dec 3, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Mandrake the Dog

    harry wrote:
    >>Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    >>said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    >>blankly...
    >>Well it was funny when he told me.

    > Geek!

    hey, he resembles that remark...

    one of my other mates said to me "guess what I just saw, the number
    plate 'DEBIAN', I dont know what is sadder, that he has it, or that I
    know what it means"

    I told him both are equally sad.
    T.N.O., Dec 3, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    John Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:12:46 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    >said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    >blankly...
    >
    >Well it was funny when he told me.

    Someone in wellingtn has yellow a Porsche...

    number plate PKZIP
    John, Dec 3, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:17:42 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:12:46 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    >>Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    >>said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    >>blankly...
    >>
    >>Well it was funny when he told me.

    >Someone in wellingtn has yellow a Porsche...
    >
    >number plate PKZIP

    I have seen a number plate in Dunedin, I think belongs to a junk shop:
    MSJUNK.
    GraB, Dec 3, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    E. Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    > said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    > blankly...
    >
    > Well it was funny when he told me.

    Put hdparm on it's collar, it'll run faster.....
    E.
    E., Dec 3, 2003
  8. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    > said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    > blankly...
    >
    > Well it was funny when he told me.

    It's funny. Even more so that someone would actually call a dog 'Mandrake'
    without knowing its a Linux thing!

    Just finished upgrading my PC...it now runs like a dog...greyhound of course!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 3, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    Murray Symon Guest

    Re: Mandrake the Dog

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:02:34 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > harry wrote:
    >>>Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend

    [snip]

    > one of my other mates said to me "guess what I just saw, the number plate
    > 'DEBIAN', I dont know what is sadder, that he has it, or that I know what
    > it means"
    >
    > I told him both are equally sad.

    Is it just possible that it is a mere coincidence and that the owners
    are "Debbie and Ian" - the same as why Ian Murdock originally named
    his Linux distribution in the first place?

    Murray.
    Murray Symon, Dec 3, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    > said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    > blankly...
    >
    > Well it was funny when he told me.

    "Mandrake the Magician" was a very popular comic strip 20-30 years ago.

    Sort of a wizardy James Bond crossed with the Phantom.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Dec 3, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    Re: Mandrake the Dog

    Murray Symon allegedly said:

    > [snip]
    >
    >> one of my other mates said to me "guess what I just saw, the number plate
    >> 'DEBIAN', I dont know what is sadder, that he has it, or that I know what
    >> it means"
    >>
    >> I told him both are equally sad.

    > Is it just possible that it is a mere coincidence and that the owners
    > are "Debbie and Ian" - the same as why Ian Murdock originally named
    > his Linux distribution in the first place?
    >
    > Murray.

    IIRC (and I might not) think someone in Auckland(?) has the "debian" reg
    plate......and they are on the NZLUG mail list.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Dec 3, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Mandrake the Dog

    Murray Symon wrote:
    >>one of my other mates said to me "guess what I just saw, the number plate
    >>'DEBIAN', I dont know what is sadder, that he has it, or that I know what
    >>it means"

    > Is it just possible that it is a mere coincidence and that the owners
    > are "Debbie and Ian" - the same as why Ian Murdock originally named
    > his Linux distribution in the first place?

    nah, I have since met the guy, he is one of the dunlug regulars. oh no,
    anymore of this Linux speak and the linux nuts will know I hassle them
    just for a wind-up.
    T.N.O., Dec 3, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Mandrake the Dog

    steve wrote:
    > IIRC (and I might not) think someone in Auckland(?) has the "debian" reg
    > plate......and they are on the NZLUG mail list.

    maybe it was deb1an... either way, doesnt matter.
    T.N.O., Dec 3, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    AD. Guest

    Re: Mandrake the Dog

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:06:28 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    >> one of my other mates said to me "guess what I just saw, the number
    >> plate 'DEBIAN', I dont know what is sadder, that he has it, or that I
    >> know what it means"
    >>
    >> I told him both are equally sad.

    > Is it just possible that it is a mere coincidence and that the owners are
    > "Debbie and Ian" - the same as why Ian Murdock originally named his Linux
    > distribution in the first place?

    Possibly, the company name of one of our old clients was created on the
    same principle (they had never heard of Debian though).

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 3, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    Fran Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    > said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    > blankly...
    >
    > Well it was funny when he told me.

    Let me guess, is it a large scooby doo'ish type dog?

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Dec 4, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Fran wrote:
    >>Heh, my mates Girlfriend just got a dog, called it Mandrake, my friend
    >>said "heh, Linux, like Debian or Redhat" and she just looked at him
    >>blankly...
    >>Well it was funny when he told me.

    > Let me guess, is it a large scooby doo'ish type dog?

    Black Lab, 8 weeks old... "gorgeous and so cute" according to my odd
    male friend...
    T.N.O., Dec 5, 2003