    You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
    otherwise called a Novelisation?

    I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?
    Mark W, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Mark W

    Mark B. Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
    news:...
    > You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
    > otherwise called a Novelisation?
    >
    > I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?

    I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on a
    book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
    movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 20, 2003

  3. Mark W

    Rich Clark Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message

    > I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on

    > book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
    > movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

    "Planet of the Apes." See
    http://dir.salon.com/books/feature/2001/08/08/apes/index.html

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Mark W

    Justin Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    Mark B. wrote on [Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:17:34 -0500]:
    > "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
    >> You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
    >> otherwise called a Novelisation?
    >>
    >> I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?
    >>

    > I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on a
    > book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
    > movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

    There was a Street Fighter The Movie video game adaption
    Justin, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Mark W

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based

    on a
    > book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books

    with
    > movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

    It does happen, if the movie is very loosely based on its source. I seem
    to remember a Total Recall novelization written by Piers Anthony, for
    example.

    I wouldn't think this would apply to Lord of the Rings, of course.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 20, 2003
  6. "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message news:<>...
    > You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
    > otherwise called a Novelisation?
    >
    > I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?

    I was in a bookstore a few weeks ago, and out of the corner of
    my eye noticed a new edition of "The Cat in the Hat". Instead
    of drawings, it's got stills from the film. I didn't bother to
    see what the text was like, but I suspect it's from the movie,
    rather than the text from the real book.

    I thought it was rather amusing, and sad.

    Michael
    Michael Black, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Re: LOTR books

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based

    > on a
    >
    >>book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books

    > with
    >
    >>movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

    > It does happen, if the movie is very loosely based on its source. I seem
    > to remember a Total Recall novelization written by Piers Anthony, for
    > example.
    >
    > I wouldn't think this would apply to Lord of the Rings, of course.

    Given New Line can't even get the rights for The Hobbit, what do you
    think the chances are that Christopher Tolkien will grant them the
    rights to some hack to pen a novelisation? Particularly when CT won't
    even acknowledge the films' existence.
    Tallulah Blanket, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Re: LOTR books

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:06:31 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark B." <> wrote in message
    >> I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based

    >on a
    >> book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books

    >with
    >> movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

    >It does happen, if the movie is very loosely based on its source. I seem
    >to remember a Total Recall novelization written by Piers Anthony, for
    >example.

    I also think there is a novellization of Platoon when Platoon was
    already based on a novel.

    Mischa
    Mischa van Dinter, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Mark W

    Mark B. Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
    > > You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
    > > otherwise called a Novelisation?
    > >
    > > I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?
    > >

    > I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on

    > book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
    > movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.
    >
    > Mark

    OK, looks like it does happen, though it seems with novels that weren't
    widely known to begin with.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 20, 2003
  10. Mark W

    Larry Gold Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    all the 007 films have been turned into books

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Mark W

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    Larry Gold wrote:

    > all the 007 films have been turned into books

    No, the majority of 007 books were published by Ian Fleming long before
    they were made into films.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 20, 2003
  12. Mark W

    jayembee Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    "Mark B." <> wrote:

    > I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie
    > already based on a book - how stupid is that?

    Pretty stupid, as Phil Dick said when they wanted him to
    agree to a novelization of BLADE RUNNER.

    The only one that I can think of off-hand goes way back to
    the mid-60's: a novelization of John Huston's 1966 film,
    THE BIBLE. :)

    I've seen it happen once with TV, though. James Gunn wrote
    a novelization of the pilot for THE IMMORTAL, which had
    been based on his earlier novel THE IMMORTALS.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 20, 2003
  13. Mark W

    jayembee Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > It does happen, if the movie is very loosely based on its
    > source. I seem to remember a Total Recall novelization
    > written by Piers Anthony, for example.

    Well, technically, TOTAL RECALL was based on a short story,
    not a novel, so it's not *quite* the same thing. There are
    probably several instances of this. Like, say, the novelization
    of John Carpenter's THE THING.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 20, 2003
  14. Mark W

    Peter Guest

    Hahahaha

    Sorry, that was quite funny.

    Novelizations only come out for movies based on scripts (ie. "Star Wars:
    From The Adventures of Luke Skywalker")
    They don't make novelizations of movies that are based on novels, thats
    just redundant, and well, stupid.

    Mark W wrote:
    > You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
    > otherwise called a Novelisation?
    >
    > I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?

    --
    Please help stop Forced Trailers on DVD's
    Please sign the Petition at
    Peter, Dec 20, 2003
  15. Mark W

    Peter Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    Tallulah Blanket wrote:

    > Given New Line can't even get the rights for The Hobbit, what do you
    > think the chances are that Christopher Tolkien will grant them the
    > rights to some hack to pen a novelisation? Particularly when CT won't
    > even acknowledge the films' existence.

    I heard about that when the films were first announced, that the family
    was totally against them. Anyone know the exact reasoning ? Was it
    because it was a literary vs movie thing ? The fact that lots of the
    books would have to be cut out, or that nothing could do a book such as
    LOTR justice due to a readers imagination ?

    Peter, Dec 20, 2003
  16. Mark W

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Hahahaha
    >
    > Sorry, that was quite funny.
    >
    > Novelizations only come out for movies based on scripts (ie. "Star Wars:
    > From The Adventures of Luke Skywalker")
    > They don't make novelizations of movies that are based on novels, thats
    > just redundant, and well, stupid.

    And yet, they do, sometimes. "Bram Stoker's Dracula." "Planet of the Apes."

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Dec 20, 2003
  17. Re: LOTR books

    On 20 Dec 2003 05:35:15 -0800, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >"Mark B." <> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie
    >> already based on a book - how stupid is that?

    >Pretty stupid, as Phil Dick said when they wanted him to
    >agree to a novelization of BLADE RUNNER.
    >
    >The only one that I can think of off-hand goes way back to
    >the mid-60's: a novelization of John Huston's 1966 film,
    >THE BIBLE. :)
    >
    >I've seen it happen once with TV, though. James Gunn wrote
    >a novelization of the pilot for THE IMMORTAL, which had
    >been based on his earlier novel THE IMMORTALS.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    Classic example Jay, Arthur C. Clarke's "The Sentinel" was turned into
    the film "2001, A Space Odyssey". Then Clarke wrote the 2001 novel
    based on the film script. Then likewise with the 2010 film, then he
    wrote "2061" as a novel which continued the films' storyline.

    I read "The Hobbit" and the Rings trilogy when I was six, then
    subsequently several times afterwards through my teens. I would be
    genuinely furious if a book were to be written based oin the films,
    since that would be like revisionism of the History of Middle Earth
    that I grew up with. I've already discovered one problem, my LOTR set
    is the 1951 boxed first edition, and Tolkien had made changes to the
    storyline, particularly to Gandalf's adventures, since then. The final
    version of the trilogy, the 1953 revision, the one everyone knows, has
    always been known as the "Authorized version." I guess I have yet to
    read the "proper" version of the books.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 20, 2003
  18. Mark W

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    > And yet, they do, sometimes. "Bram Stoker's Dracula." "Planet of the

    Apes."

    Bram Stoker's Dracula. I'd forgotten about that one. Good call.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 21, 2003
  19. Mark W

    BubbCoop Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    <<I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on a
    book - how stupid is that?>>

    it has been done. maybe not with larger novels, but they did a novelization of
    the Cat in the Hat movie.
    BubbCoop, Dec 21, 2003
  20. Mark W

    BubbCoop Guest

    Re: LOTR books

    <<Classic example Jay, Arthur C. Clarke's "The Sentinel" was turned into
    the film "2001, A Space Odyssey". Then Clarke wrote the 2001 novel
    based on the film script. >>

    but 2001 the book and the movie were created simultaeously. There are
    differences between the book and the movie.
    BubbCoop, Dec 21, 2003