OT: Looking for networking info

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Keyboard Cowboy, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. I saw a guy that used to work for my company as a VP. A
    couple years back, he didn't see eye to eye with the CEO,
    so under a mutual seperation agreement (package), he
    decided to part ways. He started up a company almost like
    a consulting firm/reseller. Basically, he contracts out
    with hardware co's that manufacture hubs/switches/routers
    etc. He looks at them and the company as a whole and
    decides whether or not to do business with them. If so,
    he takes that technology and sells it to mediums/large
    sized businesses.

    Here is the deal. This guy has asked me to come work for
    him. Actually, he has been asking me for a year now.
    Problem is that all my experience is operating systems and
    networking (from a desk) as well as db programming. So, I
    don't have experience with the hardware or the specific
    topology of the networking structure (again,
    specifically). I have googled for some info, but would
    like to get some "professional" opinions (hahahaha).
    Anyone got any ideas of books or mags? He wants someone
    that can walk in and look at a business to make
    recommendations. I am not quite there yet. But I might
    want to consider it in the future... but need to get some
    background first.

    Keyboard Cowboy, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Keyboard Cowboy

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Keyboard Cowboy

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    what kind of money and where?

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in
    message news:2822001c4638d$44e54070$...

    Consultant, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Keyboard Cowboy

    Rick Guest

    Great post Neil.

    Thank you

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Thanks Neil. I will look at this for sure... but am a
    little concerned with only looking at Cisco. See, from
    what I understand, the products I will be looking at are
    competitors with Cisco. So, I will need to know more
    about Cisco, but don't want to stop there... since I will
    have a need to know about other products. Thanks!!! I
    will check this out.

    <> wrote in

    Keyboard Cowboy, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Re: Looking for networking info

    In MN... 6 figures (not including decimal points).

    I am sure there will be plenty of travel. He has spent
    the last few months hob-nobbing with CEOs around the
    country. So I am sure there will be some travel. That
    part stinks.

    Keyboard Cowboy, Jul 6, 2004
  7. Keyboard Cowboy

    nerd32768 Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in
    message news:283bb01c4639e$9818c800$...

    is there an age limit?
    my current salary has 3 figures :(

    nerd32768, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Keyboard Cowboy

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    Mine has no figures. <sigh> But I don't wanna move to MN. Do people
    actually live there?

    Have you tried looking at the sites for the particular hardware you will be
    supporting? They might have some info on their products -- publications,
    specs, etc. you could study to become familiar with what their supposed to
    do. You should also be able to parlay your experience from the desk to help
    you understand the challenges facing your customers.

    Good luck!

    --
    Kelley
    aka catwalker

    catwalker63, Jul 6, 2004
  9. Keyboard Cowboy

    nerd32768 Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    > Mine has no figures. <sigh>

    Thank god for allowance and illiterate neighbors!

    nerd32768, Jul 6, 2004
  10. Keyboard Cowboy

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    I'm a little old for allowances. <sigh>

    catwalker63, Jul 7, 2004
  11. Keyboard Cowboy

    Neil Guest

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in

    > Thanks Neil. I will look at this for sure... but am a
    > little concerned with only looking at Cisco. See, from
    > what I understand, the products I will be looking at are
    > competitors with Cisco. So, I will need to know more
    > about Cisco, but don't want to stop there... since I will
    > have a need to know about other products. Thanks!!! I
    > will check this out.

    I think you will find that this will give you a solid base. much of it
    will be applicable to other technologies. regardless, you should be able
    to whack off reading this in say, a weekend...<VBEG>

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 7, 2004
  12. Keyboard Cowboy

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    how can you be an it pro and unemployed?

    Consultant, Jul 7, 2004
  13. Keyboard Cowboy

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > how can you be an it pro and unemployed?

    She's a professional IT job-seeker.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Jul 7, 2004
  14. Keyboard Cowboy

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    > Mine has no figures. <sigh> But I don't wanna move to MN. Do people
    > actually live there?

    It's not that bad. I used to live on the river and it was quite nice.

    Plus... they got the mall of America! I figured all you chicks would dig
    the biggest mall in the world...

    Jtyc, Jul 7, 2004
  15. Re: Looking for networking info

    Yes, people actually live here... best place to go ice
    fishing!!!!

    And there will be mulitple manufactures represented... so
    I really don't want to limit the info... but once I find
    out who they are, I will be looking at their specs as well.

    Keyboard Cowboy, Jul 7, 2004

  16. >I think you will find that this will give you a solid

    base. much of it
    >will be applicable to other technologies. regardless, you

    should be able
    >to whack off reading this in say, a weekend...<VBEG>
    >
    >--
    >Neil MCNGP #30
    >.

    Downloaded last night... about 450 pages... not bad. Will
    start reading away... will get in the way of my schooling
    though... yes, I am working full time, taking full time
    online courses, and now going to waste away my time
    reading mindless rantings of some professor X!!!

    *sigh* I need to go fishing....

    Keyboard Cowboy, Jul 7, 2004
  17. Keyboard Cowboy

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    Got laid off after 7 years. Large company ate mine.

    --
    Kelley
    aka catwalker

    catwalker63, Jul 7, 2004
  18. Keyboard Cowboy

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    sorry to hear that

    > Got laid off after 7 years. Large company ate mine.
    >
    > --
    > Kelley
    > aka catwalker
    > IT Professional
    > MCP: 70-215
    > "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > > how can you be an it pro and unemployed?
    > >
    > > "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > > > Mine has no figures. <sigh> But I don't wanna move to MN. Do people
    > > > actually live there?
    > > >
    > > > Have you tried looking at the sites for the particular hardware you

    will
    > > be
    > > > supporting? They might have some info on their products --

    > publications,
    > > > specs, etc. you could study to become familiar with what their

    supposed
    > > > do. You should also be able to parlay your experience from the desk

    > > help
    > > > you understand the challenges facing your customers.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Kelley
    > > > aka catwalker
    > > > IT Professional
    > > > MCP: 70-215
    > > > "nerd32768" <brin{removethis}> wrote in message

    wrote

    Consultant, Jul 7, 2004
  19. Re: Looking for networking info

    catwalker63 wrote:
    > Got laid after 7 years. Large company ate me.

    IFYPFY

    Funny how deleting one word and two letters can drastically change a
    message.

    --
    Fris "I either have to lay you or Jack off" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    Certaholics

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jul 7, 2004
  20. Keyboard Cowboy

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: Looking for networking info

    Oh well, gives me time to study. Didn't have time when I was working to do
    more than research what I wanted to do or how to fix a problem. I'm having
    fun right now.

    --
    Kelley
    aka catwalker