OT: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. See Neowin.net for more information.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Looking at our current schedule - that information is incorrect.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 21, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    Juan Jansen Guest

    Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Hi Mike,

    Is that in a positive or negative point of view?

    Earlier or later then above posting?

    Greetings

    Juan Jansen

    Juan Jansen, Jun 21, 2005
  4. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    "Juan Jansen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Is that in a positive or negative point of view?
    >
    > Earlier or later then above posting?

    The language of the erroneous neowin post implied a move forward to August.
    :)
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 21, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    Derek Martin Guest

    Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    I agree Andre - so it's late - that's what happens when you design the most
    complicated OS ever concieved and announce artificial deadlines - MS: take
    your time...ha, as if my telling MS to take it's time mattered - LOL

    Derek

    Derek Martin, Jun 21, 2005
  7. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    I don't see the point of rushing it, I would have gladly waited on WinFS.
    Quality and value should come first and I'm sick of out of band
    technologies.
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Derek Martin wrote:
    > I agree Andre - so it's late - that's what happens when you design the most
    > complicated OS ever concieved and announce artificial deadlines - MS: take
    > your time...ha, as if my telling MS to take it's time mattered - LOL

    You are absolutely right. But, of course, you are cordially and
    courteously invited to take your time with installing Longhorn
    yourself: Wait for SP1 or - even better - SP2... if you can;-)

    Aren't we amused observing that Longhorn's great wish-to-be competitor
    Mac OS X 10.4 'Tiger' has to be patched less than a month after shipping?
    See, e.g. <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1818272,00.asp>

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, Jun 21, 2005
  9. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Yeah, they have jumped 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 in about amonth which is just
    reficulous, and I read wireless stinks in OS X too.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Sure doesn't seem to be a reason to hurry. Wish they would put all the
    features back they keep deleting to make the artificial deadline.
    Windows XP Adoption Rates Slow
    By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
    June 16, 2005, 1:45 PM
    Although many are eagerly awaiting Microsoft next version of Windows, known
    as Longhorn, a recent study by AssetMetrix shows that many companies have
    not even upgraded to Windows XP, a full four years after its release.

    The study reports that Windows 2000 is installed on 48 percent of all
    corporate PCs as of the first quarter of this year, only falling four
    percent since the last quarter of 2003. In comparison, usage of Windows XP
    rose from 6.6 to 38 percent during the same period.

    The large number of users still on the older operating system poses a
    problem for Microsoft, who intends to phase out Windows 2000 support at the
    end of the month.

    Even older operating systems from Microsoft are still in use. One in ten
    computers runs Windows NT, down from 13.5 percent. The biggest drop was
    recorded in those still running Windows 95 or 98, which fell from 28 percent
    at the end of 2003 to less than 5 percent this past quarter.

    AssetMetrix said the findings of the study show that most companies seem to
    be upgrading just out of hardware obsolescence rather than keeping up with
    the latest and greatest operating systems offered by Microsoft. Older
    Windows 95 and 98 computers seem to be getting replaced by computers running
    Windows XP.

    "Companies re-deploying PCs, without a policy to manage and support their
    operating systems, will have their Windows XP transition rate dictated by PC
    obsolescence rather than by intelligent planning and forecasting," Steve
    O'Halloran of AssetMetrix explained.

    The general lassiez-faire attitude on upgrading by companies is problematic
    for Microsoft, which is hoping most users will upgrade to Longhorn once it
    becomes available. But many corporations are beginning to echo the
    sentiments of consumers - saying the current version of Windows they are
    running is "good enough."

    "Corporations' slow Windows XP adoption is one reason not to sweat Longhorn
    delays," Joe Wilcox of JupiterResearch wrote in his Microsoft Monitor web
    log earlier this week. "Even if Microsoft magically shipped the OS tomorrow,
    many businesses wouldn't be ready for the software."

    Wilcox mentioned that 10 percent businesses with more than 250 employees
    still run Windows 95 according to Jupiter Research data.

    John Barnes, Jun 21, 2005
  11. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    When shareholders say we want it mid 2006, Microsoft has to deliver.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    Derek Martin Guest

    Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Those are some frightening statistics John and certainly even more so to
    MS - corporations still on 95 scare the hell out of me - I hope they aren't
    using those old OSs with my credit card numbers!
    :)

    Derek

    Derek Martin, Jun 21, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    DKI Guest

    Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Since when do most share holders in MS get to say when it is delevered apart
    from mr gates himself along with mr balmer (not sure if spelt correctly)

    MS i think only set deadlines because some companies want deadlines so they
    can plan ahead with upgrades to there software and hardware needs and also
    to know if it is worth the wait or to upgrade now.

    Also some people with done seem to have patients and want MS to release a
    new OS sooner rather than later and prefer a firm date. Sadily MS or us
    can't win. MS from what i seen is balancing it out with who wants it early
    and who wants it late later but perfect so scraping some parts is more the
    optional part to meat a deadline and if i read correctly somewhere (can't
    remember where and not sure if it is correct but hope so) they said they
    would be included the parts that did not make it into the final release in a
    service pack at a later date for when the compents like winfs is ready.

    Honestly though most won't upgrade the OS till when they realy need to
    upgrade, most companies will just upgrade when they need to, most companies
    will be on tight budgets and have to sufice or some prefer to keep there old
    equipment maintained and get the maxium use out of software that cost alot
    till they are either ready to upgrade or need to upgrade and most that use
    what they got do the job and as some say if its not broken why fix it or if
    it works the way we want it to why upgrade

    DKI, Jun 22, 2005
  14. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Think about this, company's that are just deploying either XP Pro or 2000
    Pro are building 5 plans around these operating systems, with no plan for
    Longhorn in these upgrading plans anytime soon.

    Most are expected to be on Windows 2000 until 2010 while XP is expected
    until 2013, which would mean that even after Longhorns successor, we will be
    seeing 2000 around still going strong.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 22, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    Intel Inside Guest

    Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Mike,
    if I already applied for the x64 beta program, do I have to re-register to
    be involved in the Longhorn beta testing?.

    Intel Inside, Jun 23, 2005
  16. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    "Intel Inside" <> wrote in message

    > Mike,
    > if I already applied for the x64 beta program, do I have to re-register to
    > be involved in the Longhorn beta testing?.

    If you were an active participant on the Technical Beta Program (you have a
    Microsoft Beta ID number) for the x64 products (not the customer preview
    program) and you have a track record of good quality feedback and you fit
    the appropriate profile of testers we are looking for, for the Beta 1
    release, you may be invited.
    But it does not hurt to register yourself.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 23, 2005
  17. Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    John Barnes wrote:
    > AssetMetrix said the findings of the study show that most companies seem to
    > be upgrading just out of hardware obsolescence rather than keeping up with
    > the latest and greatest operating systems offered by Microsoft.
    >
    > "Companies re-deploying PCs, without a policy to manage and support their
    > operating systems, will have their Windows XP transition rate dictated by PC
    > obsolescence rather than by intelligent planning and forecasting,"

    I guess it all depends on what you want to achieve. Installing Windows
    XP on a PC delivered with Windows 98 is definately not a brilliant idea.
    Which brings you back to hardware obsolescence: the hardware becomes
    obsolete when the software does. But as long as Windows 98 works, the PC
    might do just fine.

    > But many corporations are beginning to echo the
    > sentiments of consumers - saying the current version of Windows they are
    > running is "good enough."

    Exactly. Why would you shell out lots of money, if the faster CPU is
    immediately slowed down to normal speed by a more complex OS? :)

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Jun 23, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?=

    Intel Inside Guest

    Re: Longhorn Beta 1 not due out until August.

    Thanks Mike

    Intel Inside, Jun 24, 2005