[OT] LOL! Blacklisted by yet another Trademe member!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124

    I've caught out quite a few people trying to sell less-than-perfect goods in
    the past few years (or making straight-out fraudulent claims) and it's
    amazing how many black-list me. <shakes head>

    I have no problems with folks selling items that are less-than-perfect as
    long as they're honest about it. The guy in the above auction certainly
    wasn't - and trying to get an honest answer was like getting blood from a
    stone. Finally though I got it.

    ..... Then I went to suggest that he doesn't list them as being rated at the
    full range and in 'good working order' without being honest - only to get
    the "You have been blacklisted by this member" message. What's the bet he
    lists them again without mentioning that the whizzers have been removed
    (likely by some clown who thought they were woofers - as the seller seems to
    think they are).

    I've mentioned it to Trademe once or twice - similar circs, letting them
    know I'm keeping vendors honest and I don't think it's right for them to
    blacklist me if they're misrepresenting goods - but of course TM don't want
    to know. It annoys me. :-/

    Ho-hum.....
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2013

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 21/04/2013 7:49 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Ho-hum.....
    >>

    > Nice to see Bob wading into the fray. Looks like you've started
    > something.

    Excellent. Thanks Bob. I don't know why the guy had to blacklist me unless
    he's intending to list them again without mentioning that they've had the
    whizzers cut out (and the cones painted black - they're usually beige).

    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2013

  3. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:04:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >> On 21/04/2013 7:49 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124

    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Ho-hum.....
    >>>

    >> Nice to see Bob wading into the fray. Looks like you've started
    >> something.

    >Excellent. Thanks Bob. I don't know why the guy had to blacklist me unless
    >he's intending to list them again without mentioning that they've had the
    >whizzers cut out (and the cones painted black - they're usually beige).

    You'll notice the sellers reply was kind of ... vague.
    Donchano, Apr 21, 2013
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:04:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Nice to see Bob wading into the fray. Looks like you've started
    >>> something.

    >> Excellent. Thanks Bob. I don't know why the guy had to blacklist me
    >> unless he's intending to list them again without mentioning that
    >> they've had the whizzers cut out (and the cones painted black -
    >> they're usually beige).

    > You'll notice the sellers reply was kind of ... vague.

    Hell yeah! He was deliberately vague to all of mine until I asked for a
    yes/no answer - which he finally gave me, then promptly blacklisted me.

    I see the last question asked (thanks) has been answered incorrectly. The
    whizzer is responsible for the frequencies above 6 - 8 KHz or so in a large
    driver like this. This is because the main cone is designed to de-couple at
    those frequencies and the (absent) whizzer, being directly attached to the
    voice-coil takes over from there.

    Therefore I would be very surprised if it 'sang' above 6 KHz or so (getting
    into the upper register of the female singing voice). In fact it wouldn't -
    period. It's whole upper register was removed with the whizzer cones.

    The whole attraction of the 'Twin Axiom' series of drivers is that they are
    a "full range" (actually wide range - but they reproduce 90%+ of the source
    music - depending on what that source is of course). That's why they still
    command good prices, there is nothing currently being made that comes close
    for under $0.5K - $1K a driver. However once you remove the whizzer it's
    like having blown tweeters in a two or three way system. The highs are gone.

    (Goodmans even made a 'Tri-Axiom' driver which had a shaped alloy 'dustcap'
    at the end of the voice coil and produced even higher frequencies cleanly.
    There are people who swear by the purity of 'point-source' music - music
    that hasn't been 'chopped up' into it's various frequencies and then farmed
    out to various drivers. I started on this guy as I'd hate to see someone
    wanting to get into point-source for the first time and being ripped off -
    these venerable old British drivers are getting more and more rare - and
    consequently expensive.)

    Thanks,

    ~misfit~, Apr 22, 2013
  5. In article <kl05hk$1eu$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124
    >
    >I've caught out quite a few people trying to sell less-than-perfect goods in
    >the past few years (or making straight-out fraudulent claims) and it's
    >amazing how many black-list me. <shakes head>
    >
    >I have no problems with folks selling items that are less-than-perfect as
    >long as they're honest about it. The guy in the above auction certainly
    >wasn't - and trying to get an honest answer was like getting blood from a
    >stone. Finally though I got it.
    >
    >..... Then I went to suggest that he doesn't list them as being rated at the
    >full range and in 'good working order' without being honest - only to get
    >the "You have been blacklisted by this member" message. What's the bet he
    >lists them again without mentioning that the whizzers have been removed
    >(likely by some clown who thought they were woofers - as the seller seems to
    >think they are).
    >
    >I've mentioned it to Trademe once or twice - similar circs, letting them
    >know I'm keeping vendors honest and I don't think it's right for them to
    >blacklist me if they're misrepresenting goods - but of course TM don't want
    >to know. It annoys me. :-/

    <Thinks - will your position stop trademe making money ?>

    :)

    Personally, I reckon there should be a comments page for each auction not
    controlled by th seller ... but I can see that could have a down side ...
    and see why trademe would *not* want that. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 22, 2013
  6. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:02:48 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:04:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Excellent. Thanks Bob. I don't know why the guy had to blacklist me
    >>> unless he's intending to list them again without mentioning that
    >>> they've had the whizzers cut out (and the cones painted black -
    >>> they're usually beige).

    >> You'll notice the sellers reply was kind of ... vague.

    >Hell yeah! He was deliberately vague to all of mine until I asked for a
    >yes/no answer - which he finally gave me, then promptly blacklisted me.

    <snip>

    If he hasn't blacklisted me as well, would you like me to copy and
    paste what I've snipped into another question for the seller? I notice
    that the only times I've been blacklisted by a seller were when 1) I
    asked for clarification of a product that turned out to be a fake, or
    2) pointed out a major discrepancy in the product description.
    Donchano, Apr 22, 2013
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > If he hasn't blacklisted me as well, would you like me to copy and
    > paste what I've snipped into another question for the seller? I notice
    > that the only times I've been blacklisted by a seller were when 1) I
    > asked for clarification of a product that turned out to be a fake, or
    > 2) pointed out a major discrepancy in the product description.

    Just go ahead and post it if I were you (the auction's only got a few hours
    to run).

    Yep, I've only ever been blacklisted for the same reasons you state. I have
    an in-depth knowledge of my chosen fields and, even if I'm not going to bid
    on an auction and see what's an incorrect description I'll attempt to
    clarify it. ~70% of posters thank me, 20% ignore me and 10% blacklist me.

    Could that be taken as a rough percentage of how honest the average NZer is?

    I think that, by clarifying things in auctions that I'm either unsure of or
    know are wrong I'm doing a service for Trademe and the general population.
    However, when I complained to TM about it once or twice (obvious intent to
    deceive) they said it's the seller's choice who they want to allow to
    comment on their auctions (and that I have the same right, as if I'd be
    swayed by being told that I too can swindle their clientele). <shrug>

    ~misfit~, Apr 22, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <kl05hk$1eu$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124
    >>
    >> I've caught out quite a few people trying to sell less-than-perfect
    >> goods in the past few years (or making straight-out fraudulent
    >> claims) and it's amazing how many black-list me. <shakes head>
    >>
    >> I have no problems with folks selling items that are
    >> less-than-perfect as long as they're honest about it. The guy in the
    >> above auction certainly wasn't - and trying to get an honest answer
    >> was like getting blood from a stone. Finally though I got it.
    >>
    >> ..... Then I went to suggest that he doesn't list them as being
    >> rated at the full range and in 'good working order' without being
    >> honest - only to get the "You have been blacklisted by this member"
    >> message. What's the bet he lists them again without mentioning that
    >> the whizzers have been removed (likely by some clown who thought
    >> they were woofers - as the seller seems to think they are).
    >>
    >> I've mentioned it to Trademe once or twice - similar circs, letting
    >> them know I'm keeping vendors honest and I don't think it's right
    >> for them to blacklist me if they're misrepresenting goods - but of
    >> course TM don't want to know. It annoys me. :-/

    > <Thinks - will your position stop trademe making money ?>
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Personally, I reckon there should be a comments page for each auction
    > not
    > controlled by th seller ... but I can see that could have a down side
    > and see why trademe would *not* want that. :)

    Yeah. However perhaps a 'trusted trader' rating and comments allowed? For
    instance I've bought and sold quite a bunch of vintage audio stuff over the
    years and have a 100% satisfaction rating.....

    ~misfit~, Apr 22, 2013
  9. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:13:42 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> If he hasn't blacklisted me as well, would you like me to copy and
    >> paste what I've snipped into another question for the seller? I notice
    >> that the only times I've been blacklisted by a seller were when 1) I
    >> asked for clarification of a product that turned out to be a fake, or
    >> 2) pointed out a major discrepancy in the product description.

    >Just go ahead and post it if I were you (the auction's only got a few hours
    >to run).

    I was only allowed 500 characters, so I had to edit it back. Hope it
    meets with your approval. Could be that the seller decides not to
    publish it before the auction closes ...
    Donchano, Apr 22, 2013
  10. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:01:51 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 22/04/2013 11:02 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I see the last question asked (thanks) has been answered incorrectly.

    >No surprise there really is there. Might be time for you to report the
    >listing to Trademe... on the basis it is misleading and see if they will
    >terminate the sellers account for lying and then blacklisting you.

    I'd change that to "they *should* terminate the seller's account for
    lying and then blacklisting you."

    I've made several complaints about one particular seller who now has
    108 negative feedbacks and nearly 50 neutral - mostly for
    misrepresenting his products or not sending them. But because his
    overall score didn't exceed the one set by Facebook (I think it's 93%)
    he's been allowed to continue trading. Oh ... the seller even
    contacted me via my email address four times and offered me a
    particular product and said that way we would both benefit from
    cutting TradeMe out of the transaction ... and guess what? TradeMe
    chose to ignore those emails.

    I figure that TradeMe was and still is making too much money out of
    this thief to get rid of him. And that tells me a lot about TradeMe's
    ethics ... or lack of them. So TradeMe allows scumbags to continue to
    rip-off buyers in order to protect their income stream ... just so
    long as the traders don't rip off more than 93% of their customers.

    Here's one of the trader's emails (without identifying info)

    Hi XXX,

    Thx for yr interest in my auction from trademe and with the saving of
    Trademe fees, please deposit $ 2750 ( Incl Packaging & Signatured NZ
    Couriers ) into my account with reference.

    Hence please provide your physical address, your name and your
    contact phone number.

    BNZ
    Account No: 0X-0XXXX-XXXXXX-00

    Regards - DJ

    ** I will withdraw my listing soon.
    Donchano, Apr 22, 2013
  11. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 22/04/2013 1:04 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >> On 21/04/2013 7:49 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124

    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Ho-hum.....
    >>>

    >> Nice to see Bob wading into the fray. Looks like you've started
    >> something.

    > Excellent. Thanks Bob. I don't know why the guy had to blacklist me unless
    > he's intending to list them again without mentioning that they've had the
    > whizzers cut out (and the cones painted black - they're usually beige).

    It looks like a re-cone.
    victor, Apr 22, 2013
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:13:42 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> If he hasn't blacklisted me as well, would you like me to copy and
    >>> paste what I've snipped into another question for the seller? I
    >>> notice that the only times I've been blacklisted by a seller were
    >>> when 1) I asked for clarification of a product that turned out to
    >>> be a fake, or 2) pointed out a major discrepancy in the product
    >>> description.

    >> Just go ahead and post it if I were you (the auction's only got a
    >> few hours to run).

    > I was only allowed 500 characters, so I had to edit it back. Hope it
    > meets with your approval. Could be that the seller decides not to
    > publish it before the auction closes ...

    You worded it perfectly. :)

    Alas, he didn't make it visible to the public. :(

    ~misfit~, Apr 22, 2013
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 22/04/2013 1:04 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Nice to see Bob wading into the fray. Looks like you've started
    >>> something.

    >> Excellent. Thanks Bob. I don't know why the guy had to blacklist me
    >> unless he's intending to list them again without mentioning that
    >> they've had the whizzers cut out (and the cones painted black -
    >> they're usually beige).

    > It looks like a re-cone.

    I don't think so. You can see the top of the one in the foreground is still
    beige at the suspension. (The suspension on these is a continuation of the
    same 'paper' that makes the cone - just with less laminations or fibrous
    material deposited in that region.

    In the past I've seen clowns cutting whizzers out of older wide-range
    speakers to put them into stereos as faux-woofers. Either they don't
    understand how these things work or they're trying to fool others.

    ~misfit~, Apr 22, 2013
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 22/04/2013 11:02 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I see the last question asked (thanks) has been answered incorrectly.

    > No surprise there really is there. Might be time for you to report
    > the listing to Trademe... on the basis it is misleading and see if
    > they will terminate the sellers account for lying and then
    > blacklisting you.

    Mate, I've been down that road more than once already with no joy at all,
    just frustration. :(

    ~misfit~, Apr 22, 2013
  15. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 22/04/13 11:02, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Therefore I would be very surprised if it 'sang' above 6 KHz or so
    > (getting into the upper register of the female singing voice). In
    > fact it wouldn't - period. It's whole upper register was removed with
    > the whizzer cones.

    Probably do for me then. I can no longer hear those frequencies! LOL!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Apr 22, 2013
  16. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:29:53 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:13:42 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Just go ahead and post it if I were you (the auction's only got a
    >>> few hours to run).

    >> I was only allowed 500 characters, so I had to edit it back. Hope it
    >> meets with your approval. Could be that the seller decides not to
    >> publish it before the auction closes ...

    >You worded it perfectly. :)
    >
    >Alas, he didn't make it visible to the public. :(

    It only showed up after the auction closed. Hopefully, potential
    buyers have read it and won't be taken in. Cheers
    Donchano, Apr 22, 2013
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:29:53 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:

    [snips]
    >>> I was only allowed 500 characters, so I had to edit it back. Hope it
    >>> meets with your approval. Could be that the seller decides not to
    >>> publish it before the auction closes ...

    >> You worded it perfectly. :)
    >>
    >> Alas, he didn't make it visible to the public. :(

    > It only showed up after the auction closed. Hopefully, potential
    > buyers have read it and won't be taken in. Cheers

    Thanks again. I hope that he thinks twice before listing them without
    mentioning the missing whizzer cones again.

    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2013
  18. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:49:58 PM UTC+12, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124
    >

    > I've caught out quite a few people trying to sell less-than-perfect goods in
    >
    > the past few years (or making straight-out fraudulent claims) and it's
    >
    > amazing how many black-list me. <shakes head>
    >

    > I have no problems with folks selling items that are less-than-perfect as
    >
    > long as they're honest about it. The guy in the above auction certainly
    >
    > wasn't - and trying to get an honest answer was like getting blood from a
    >
    > stone. Finally though I got it.
    >

    > .... Then I went to suggest that he doesn't list them as being rated at the
    >
    > full range and in 'good working order' without being honest - only to get
    >
    > the "You have been blacklisted by this member" message. What's the bet he
    >
    > lists them again without mentioning that the whizzers have been removed
    >
    > (likely by some clown who thought they were woofers - as the seller seems to
    >
    > think they are).
    >

    > I've mentioned it to Trademe once or twice - similar circs, letting them
    >
    > know I'm keeping vendors honest and I don't think it's right for them to
    >
    > blacklist me if they're misrepresenting goods - but of course TM don't want
    >
    > to know. It annoys me. :-/
    >

    > Ho-hum.....
    >
    > --
    >
    > /Shaun.
    >

    > "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    >
    > cozy little classification in the DSM."
    >
    > David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    Yes, just had the same thing happen to me from a trader overpricing something. They don't like to be told they are wrong. :)
    , Oct 6, 2013
  19. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On Monday, October 7, 2013 9:42:23 AM UTC+13, wrote:
    > On Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:49:58 PM UTC+12, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583168124

    > > I've caught out quite a few people trying to sell less-than-perfect goods in

    > > the past few years (or making straight-out fraudulent claims) and it's

    > > amazing how many black-list me. <shakes head>

    > > I have no problems with folks selling items that are less-than-perfect as

    > > long as they're honest about it. The guy in the above auction certainly

    > > wasn't - and trying to get an honest answer was like getting blood from a

    > > stone. Finally though I got it.

    > > .... Then I went to suggest that he doesn't list them as being rated at the

    > > full range and in 'good working order' without being honest - only to get

    > > the "You have been blacklisted by this member" message. What's the bet he

    > > lists them again without mentioning that the whizzers have been removed

    > > (likely by some clown who thought they were woofers - as the seller seems to

    > > think they are).

    > > I've mentioned it to Trademe once or twice - similar circs, letting them

    > > know I'm keeping vendors honest and I don't think it's right for them to

    > > blacklist me if they're misrepresenting goods - but of course TM don't want

    > > to know. It annoys me. :-/

    > > Ho-hum.....

    > > --

    > > /Shaun.

    > > "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a

    > > cozy little classification in the DSM."

    > > David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    > Yes, just had the same thing happen to me from a trader overpricing something. They don't like to be told they are wrong. :)

    Also complained to Trade Me about the offensive reply they posted so Trade Me deleted it.
    , Oct 7, 2013