    So if someone out there uses linux, reply to this thread.

    Cheers
    /V

    Venkat Venkataraju, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Venkat Venkataraju

    al-Farrob Guest

    Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a linux
    > user and i would like to know if there are people out there like me.
    >
    > Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard for
    > me as i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image manipulation
    > and i'm quite happy with it as it is free.
    >
    > So if someone out there uses linux, reply to this thread.
    >
    > Cheers
    > /V

    I am a Linux user, all my post-processing is made under Linux

    --
    al-Farrob

    al-Farrob, Feb 19, 2004

  3. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:53:33 +0000, Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a linux
    > user and i would like to know if there are people out there like me.
    >
    > Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard for me
    > as i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image manipulation and
    > i'm quite happy with it as it is free.

    I think you'll find there are quite a few of us out here. If you want GIMP
    specific advice, you can look at comp.graphics.apps.gimp, or Eric
    Jeschke's great tutorials at http://redskiesatnight.com/articles/. That
    said, many Photoshop tips can be easily adapted with relatively little
    effort. For most digital photography needs you'll find Linux more than
    adequate. Areas that could IMO do with improvement are RAW file conversion
    utilities, and colour management awareness in apps. Both are supported,
    but not as easy to use as under Win/Mac.

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Its good to know that there are quite a few of us in here. i thinkn GIMP
    is pretty good for the stuff i do. one thing i do miss is magnetic lasso
    that u get in photoshop.

    /V

    Venkat Venkataraju, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Venkat Venkataraju

    DM Guest

    My home PC runs Linux. I use GIMP with the ICC / color management plugins.
    To scan my slides and negs I use Vuescan on Linux. Works like a charm.
    I run a Debian box with the 2.6.3 kernel. However I miss many of the
    photoshop utilities like actions, etc. Using GIMP is just that bit more
    cumbersome than PS.

    DM, Feb 20, 2004
  6. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:46:19 +0000, al-Farrob
    <> wrote:

    >Venkat Venkataraju wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a linux
    >> user and i would like to know if there are people out there like me.
    >>
    >> Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard for
    >> me as i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image manipulation
    >> and i'm quite happy with it as it is free.
    >>
    >> So if someone out there uses linux, reply to this thread.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> /V

    >I am a Linux user, all my post-processing is made under Linux

    As I'm getting ready to reinstall LINUX onto one of my machines what
    image processing software is available. (I still have 3 other
    machines on Windows)

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a
    > linux user and i would like to know if there are people out there like
    > me.
    >
    > Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard for
    > me as i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image
    > manipulation and i'm quite happy with it as it is free.
    >
    > So if someone out there uses linux, reply to this thread.

    See my sig. below. :)

    Fred

    --
    "...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
    the Ugly)."

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 20, 2004
  8. Mike Brodbelt wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:53:33 +0000, Venkat Venkataraju wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a
    >> linux user and i would like to know if there are people out there
    >> like me.
    >>
    >> Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard
    >> for me as i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image
    >> manipulation and i'm quite happy with it as it is free.

    > I think you'll find there are quite a few of us out here. If you want
    > GIMP specific advice, you can look at comp.graphics.apps.gimp, or Eric
    > Jeschke's great tutorials at http://redskiesatnight.com/articles/.
    > That said, many Photoshop tips can be easily adapted with relatively
    > little effort. For most digital photography needs you'll find Linux
    > more than adequate. Areas that could IMO do with improvement are RAW
    > file conversion utilities, and colour management awareness in apps.
    > Both are supported, but not as easy to use as under Win/Mac.

    The RAW plugin for Gimp works with 1.2, but not 1.3. What do you use to
    load RAW files?

    Thanks,

    Fred

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 20, 2004
  9. Venkat Venkataraju <segfault\"@\"nospam2me.sbcglobal.net> writes:

    > I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a
    > linux user and i would like to know if there are people out there like
    > me.

    Yes, but not for anything relating to photography. Well, for hosting
    my photo web sites :). I don't use Linux for desktop stuff at all;
    but I run two servers.
    RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 20, 2004
  10. Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    > I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a linux
    > user and i would like to know if there are people out there like me.
    >
    > ....I use GIMP for image manipulation and i'm quite happy with it...

    I also use Linux and The GIMP for my digital photography.

    CT
    --
    RLU (Registered Linux User) #: 191250

    Cyber Trekker, Feb 20, 2004
  11. DM wrote:

    > ICC / color management plugins

    Where'd you get these plugins?

    Thanks,

    Fred

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 20, 2004
  12. Roger Halstead wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:46:19 +0000, al-Farrob
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Venkat Venkataraju wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a
    >>> linux user and i would like to know if there are people out there
    >>> like me.
    >>>
    >>> Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard
    >>> for me as i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image
    >>> manipulation and i'm quite happy with it as it is free.
    >>>
    >>> So if someone out there uses linux, reply to this thread.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> /V

    >>I am a Linux user, all my post-processing is made under Linux

    > As I'm getting ready to reinstall LINUX onto one of my machines what
    > image processing software is available. (I still have 3 other
    > machines on Windows)

    Gimp is what most of us use.

    Fred

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 20, 2004
  13. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:56:24 +0000, Fred A. Miller wrote:

    >> I think you'll find there are quite a few of us out here. If you want
    >> GIMP specific advice, you can look at comp.graphics.apps.gimp, or Eric
    >> Jeschke's great tutorials at http://redskiesatnight.com/articles/. That
    >> said, many Photoshop tips can be easily adapted with relatively little
    >> effort. For most digital photography needs you'll find Linux more than
    >> adequate. Areas that could IMO do with improvement are RAW file
    >> conversion utilities, and colour management awareness in apps. Both are
    >> supported, but not as easy to use as under Win/Mac.

    > The RAW plugin for Gimp works with 1.2, but not 1.3. What do you use to
    > load RAW files?

    The raw plugin is just a wrapper around dcraw. It's quite easy to use
    dcraw to take a raw file, output it as a 16bit PPM, and then adjust curven
    in cinepaint, if you want absolute maximum ability to play around.

    That said, I often use BreezeBrowser, which runs quite usably under wine.

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Feb 20, 2004
  14. Venkat Venkataraju

    Quercus Guest

    Yep, me too... Debian, gphoto2, gqview, jhead (slightly modified version
    for my needs), album, imagemagik, and gimp.... That makes my digital lab :)

    -Quercus-

    --
    Yo uso Software Libre
    Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody) Kernel 2.4.21

    Quercus, Feb 20, 2004
  15. Venkat Venkataraju

    Giles Morant Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:53:33 +0000, Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a linux
    > user and i would like to know if there are people out there like me.
    >
    > Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard for
    > me as i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image manipulation
    > and i'm quite happy with it as it is free.
    >
    > So if someone out there uses linux, reply to this thread.
    >
    > Cheers
    > /V

    Yes, I have used Linux exclusively for over four years. I use LaTeX
    extensively, the Gimp, the PanoTools stuff (and the new+excellent hugin
    application). Don't be put off by the name(!), but I find PornView is the
    best image viewer I have found for X.

    Giles Morant

    Giles Morant, Feb 20, 2004
  16. Venkat Venkataraju <segfault\"@\"nospam2me.sbcglobal.net> writes:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I was wondering if there are any linux users in this group. I'm a linux user
    > and i would like to know if there are people out there like me.
    >
    > Lot of advices tend to be for Windows platform ans it is real hard for me as
    > i'm new to digital photography. I use GIMP for image manipulation and i'm
    > quite happy with it as it is free.
    >
    > So if someone out there uses linux, reply to this thread.

    I use Linux. At the moment I mostly use ImageMagick (ie, display) to do the
    image manipulation I do. I use GIMP occasionally, but I haven't switched yet.
    I build my web site using custom written perl scripts.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 20, 2004
  17. Venkat Venkataraju

    al-Farrob Guest

    Fred A. Miller wrote:

    > Roger Halstead wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:46:19 +0000, al-Farrob
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    [snip]

    > Gimp is what most of us use.
    >
    > Fred

    I use mostly The Gimp.
    I also use ImageMagick to do things like creating thumbnails.
    And indirectly related to photography I use Quanta Plus to edit web pages

    --
    al-Farrob

    al-Farrob, Feb 20, 2004
  18. Mike Brodbelt wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:56:24 +0000, Fred A. Miller wrote:
    >
    >>> I think you'll find there are quite a few of us out here. If you
    >>> want GIMP specific advice, you can look at comp.graphics.apps.gimp,
    >>> or Eric Jeschke's great tutorials at
    >>> http://redskiesatnight.com/articles/. That said, many Photoshop tips
    >>> can be easily adapted with relatively little effort. For most
    >>> digital photography needs you'll find Linux more than adequate.
    >>> Areas that could IMO do with improvement are RAW file conversion
    >>> utilities, and colour management awareness in apps. Both are
    >>> supported, but not as easy to use as under Win/Mac.

    >> The RAW plugin for Gimp works with 1.2, but not 1.3. What do you use
    >> to load RAW files?

    > The raw plugin is just a wrapper around dcraw. It's quite easy to use
    > dcraw to take a raw file, output it as a 16bit PPM, and then adjust
    > curven in cinepaint, if you want absolute maximum ability to play
    > around.
    >
    > That said, I often use BreezeBrowser, which runs quite usably under
    > wine.

    Well, I don't use anything written for 'Bloze.....my choice. I have
    dcraw so may have to play with that. What I've been doing is importing
    the RAW file and saving a Gimp format file as a "work" file.

    Fred

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 20, 2004
  19. Venkat Venkataraju

    Russ Price Guest

    How is this thread OT, anyway? :eek:)

    Fred A. Miller <> wrote:
    > Well, I don't use anything written for 'Bloze.....my choice. I have
    > dcraw so may have to play with that. What I've been doing is importing
    > the RAW file and saving a Gimp format file as a "work" file.

    I've used:

    dcraw -c -4 foo.crw | convert ppm:- foo.tif

    to make a 16-bit TIFF from the CRW file, then used Cinepaint to adjust
    the gamma, then apply a curve and use the levels controls to fine-tune
    the tonal range and white balance. If I feel it's necessary, I'll add a
    touch of unsharp masking as well.

    Unfortunately, Cinepaint doesn't print, so I save an 8-bit TIFF, and
    bring out the GIMP for printing.

    I've made some very nice prints on an HP 950C, both via this approach,
    and also just using GIMP to print straight-from-the-camera JPEGs.

    At some point, I want to get an Epson Stylus 2200, though. 8.5x11" with
    huge borders just doesn't do justice to the Digital Rebel's images.

    Then again, the 2200's price could get a nice lens. Decisions,
    decisions...
    --
    Russ Price -- -- kill the wabbit to email
    "Until you have had a case of Hamm's, you can't understand what

    Russ Price, Feb 21, 2004
  20. Russ Price wrote:

    > How is this thread OT, anyway? :eek:)
    >
    > Fred A. Miller <> wrote:
    >> Well, I don't use anything written for 'Bloze.....my choice. I have
    >> dcraw so may have to play with that. What I've been doing is
    >> importing the RAW file and saving a Gimp format file as a "work"
    >> file.

    > I've used:
    >
    > dcraw -c -4 foo.crw | convert ppm:- foo.tif
    >
    > to make a 16-bit TIFF from the CRW file, then used Cinepaint to adjust
    > the gamma, then apply a curve and use the levels controls to fine-tune
    > the tonal range and white balance. If I feel it's necessary, I'll add
    > a touch of unsharp masking as well.
    >
    > Unfortunately, Cinepaint doesn't print, so I save an 8-bit TIFF, and
    > bring out the GIMP for printing.
    >
    > I've made some very nice prints on an HP 950C, both via this approach,
    > and also just using GIMP to print straight-from-the-camera JPEGs.
    >
    > At some point, I want to get an Epson Stylus 2200, though. 8.5x11"
    > with huge borders just doesn't do justice to the Digital Rebel's
    > images.

    Quite right! I've made some 13"x19" prints that are razor sharpe edge to
    edge.

    > Then again, the 2200's price could get a nice lens. Decisions,
    > decisions...

    It's worth it - VERY fine printer. Yes, I know - I want more lenses as
    well. :)

    Fred

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 21, 2004