OT: Lights out!

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Ken Briscoe, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. Ken Briscoe

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    So, we're sitting here minding our own business, and everything just shuts
    down. Lights (my office has no windows!), computers, everything. And
    apparently, the building has no generator. Was out for under 5
    minutes....but after being on the phone with the electric company (wasn't me
    on the phone), we're under the impression that it could be this sunspot
    nonsense that's supposed to hit Earth today. I was under the impression that
    this was only going to affect extreme northern and southern latitudes. I'm
    in Boston...not too extreme. Anyways, has anyone else noticed anything
    strange from this?

    OK, had to do something while we were waiting for "clearance" to get back to
    work. (I'm dead serious. We can sit in front of our computers and waste time
    on the internet, but we can't do any work until we're told to. Not that I'm
    complaining...)

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Re: Lights out!

    Ken Briscoe wrote:
    > So, we're sitting here minding our own business, and everything just
    > shuts down. Lights (my office has no windows!), computers,
    > everything. And apparently, the building has no generator. Was out
    > for under 5 minutes....but after being on the phone with the electric
    > company (wasn't me on the phone), we're under the impression that it
    > could be this sunspot nonsense that's supposed to hit Earth today. I
    > was under the impression that this was only going to affect extreme
    > northern and southern latitudes. I'm in Boston...not too extreme.
    > Anyways, has anyone else noticed anything strange from this?
    >
    > OK, had to do something while we were waiting for "clearance" to get
    > back to work. (I'm dead serious. We can sit in front of our computers
    > and waste time on the internet, but we can't do any work until we're
    > told to. Not that I'm complaining...)

    I'm sorry, it was me. I had inadvertantly kicked a plug out of a socket,
    and proceded to then spill my coffee when I fell.

    Apparently this caused a blackout in the northeast for about five minutes,
    which is kind of strange, since I'm in Florida, but I've already put the
    plug back in and everything seems fine now.

    --
    Fris "Carry on" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Re: Lights out!

    I am going to blame everything on the sunspot. "Can't logon, huh?.... It's
    because of the sunspot!"

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Oct 24, 2003
  4. Re: Lights out!

    why it take 5 minutes to plug back? What was you doing in the dark for that
    long?

    NEW NAME, OLD GUY, Oct 24, 2003
  5. Ken Briscoe

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Re: Lights out!

    I like that excuse...... I think I will use it today.

    "Can't get your excel spreadsheet to work right" Sunspot
    "Printer is not printing" Sunspot
    "Impotent" Sunspot

    Hey, it's a catch-all

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me
    "Politician Spock" <> wrote in message
    > I am going to blame everything on the sunspot. "Can't logon, huh?.... It's
    > because of the sunspot!"
    >
    > --
    > Politician Spock
    > MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
    > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    rights.

    Kendal Emery, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Re: Lights out!

    NEW NAME, OLD GUY wrote:
    > why it take 5 minutes to plug back? What was you doing in the dark
    > for that long?

    It was a Starbucks Americano I spilled! For God's Sake man! Some people
    cry when they spill their beer. I cry when I spill my Starbucks Americano.

    --
    Fris "It took 5 minutes to suck it up with a straw" bee® MCNGP #13

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Ken Briscoe

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Re: Lights out!

    > why it take 5 minutes to plug back? What was you doing in the dark for
    that
    > long?

    Yeah, Fris, what was you doing in the dark for that long? What couldn't wait
    until you got home?

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 24, 2003
  8. Ken Briscoe

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Re: Lights out!

    > "Can't get your excel spreadsheet to work right"
    > "Printer is not printing"
    > "Impotent"

    Being in IT can be thankless work sometimes, but somebody's got to fix the
    problems that arise. Or, um, don't - as the case may be.

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 24, 2003
  9. Ken Briscoe

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Re: Lights out!

    > Being in IT can be thankless work sometimes, but somebody's got to fix the
    > problems that arise. Or, um, don't - as the case may be.

    Having re-read that...maybe I should just clarify...
    Just for the record, don't ask. I'm not. Not that there's anything wrong
    with that. There, I feel better now.

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 24, 2003