    close to my house. It fried the isdn modem & everything inside the
    case except the hdd & cd drive. What's special about them that they
    survived when everything else was toasted?

    Situation Toasted, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Situation Toasted

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Situation Toasted said:

    > about 2 weeks ago there was a lightning strike on the phone lines
    > close to my house. It fried the isdn modem & everything inside the
    > case except the hdd & cd drive. What's special about them that they
    > survived when everything else was toasted?

    Maybe your firewall protected them.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Situation Toasted wrote:

    > about 2 weeks ago there was a lightning strike on the phone lines
    > close to my house. It fried the isdn modem & everything inside the
    > case except the hdd & cd drive. What's special about them that they
    > survived when everything else was toasted?

    Nothing. Lightning is very idiosyncratic and odd things like this happen all
    the time.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Situation Toasted

    Professor Guest

    The difference between them is that all of the cards plug directly into the
    motherboard and they are connected by ribbon cables which must fare better
    with lightning.

    Professor, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Situation Toasted

    docmill Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in

    > Situation Toasted wrote:
    >
    >> about 2 weeks ago there was a lightning strike on the phone lines
    >> close to my house. It fried the isdn modem & everything inside the
    >> case except the hdd & cd drive. What's special about them that they
    >> survived when everything else was toasted?

    > Nothing. Lightning is very idiosyncratic and odd things like this happen
    > all the time.

    I remember reading about that guy in La. sitting in the easy chair, drinking
    a cold can of beer, watching football, and getting struck by lightning thru
    the phone next to him. They asked him what he could do to avoid this from
    happening again, and he says, I'll drink out of bottles from now on."

    --
    +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

    docmill, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Situation Toasted

    Conor Guest

    In article <Q7aAb.647$>,
    -vine.co.uk.invalid says...
    > Situation Toasted said:
    >
    > > about 2 weeks ago there was a lightning strike on the phone lines
    > > close to my house. It fried the isdn modem & everything inside the
    > > case except the hdd & cd drive. What's special about them that they
    > > survived when everything else was toasted?

    > Maybe your firewall protected them.

    Can't have been the XP one...

    --
    Conor

    Hi. This is my friend, Jack Shit, and you don't know him.

    Conor, Dec 6, 2003
  7. FDD is toast as well.

    Situation Toasted, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Situation Toasted Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <IjhAb.41638$>:

    > FDD is toast as well.

    Lightning is unpredictable, at the best. I saw a computer years ago
    that only lost it's modem, then one from a neighbor to the first list
    everything. <shrug>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Situation Toasted

    w_tom Guest

    Lightning is not capricious. To damage, an electric
    transient first creates a complete circuit from cloud to
    earth. When everything in that circuit is energized, only then
    does something in that circuit fail. What did a surge
    damage? Well what was a path from cloud to earth? IOW what
    was the incoming and outgoing path through that electronic
    device? Without both an incoming and outgoing path, then it
    is not damaged.

    To have damage to so much in a computer suggests a power
    supply was purchased only on one specification - price.
    Therefore it was missing essential functions that protects
    everything from power supply created damage. Functions that
    were defacto standard even 30 years ago and are required by
    Intel specs. Functions that are often missing in power
    supplies selling for less than $50. Such an underpriced power
    supply could damage everything in the computer.

    Again, if that damaged component was not in a path from
    cloud to ground - if an incoming and outgoing electrical path
    cannot be identified - then a transient did not damage the
    component. But if the power supply is source of failure, then
    most everything in a computer could be damaged.

    Lets see. Lightning completely avoided AC power lines to
    instead strike phone line? Not likely. But then incoming
    path of transients that damage modems, fax machines, and
    portable phone base stations is AC electric. 1) Phone lines
    already have effective 'whole house' protectors installed free
    by the telco where that wire enters the building. 2) Why
    would lightning strike a phone line and yet avoid AC
    electric? 3) AC electric makes a complete, unimpeded
    connection to ISDN modem, et al. 4) Incoming and outgoing
    path through modem is so common - incoming on AC electric and
    outgoing to earth ground on phone line.

    It is not clear from information posted how lightning really
    entered your building, how it obtained earth ground,
    destructively, through appliances, which wire it entered on,
    or even if reason for failure was really a power supply
    missing essential functions. Posted are things more
    traditionally known to damage electronics. Most who claim a
    surge entered on phone line do not even know about a 'whole
    house' phone line surge protector installed, free, by the
    telco.

    To better understand why damage happens, start with this
    summary:
    "Opinions on Surge Protectors?" on 7 Jul 2003 in the
    newsgroup alt.certification.a-plus or
    http://tinyurl.com/l3m9

    Lightning is not capricious. Effective protection from
    direct lighting strikes is proven and repeatedly demonstrated
    since the 1930s. Lightning damage is so easily avoided that
    it is considered directly traceable to human failure. This
    being the most important statement - a surge protector is only
    as effective as its earth ground - because lightning is that
    predictable.

    w_tom, Dec 7, 2003
  10. Situation Toasted

    nemo Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:58:53 GMT, Situation Toasted wrote:

    > about 2 weeks ago there was a lightning strike on the phone lines
    > close to my house. It fried the isdn modem & everything inside the
    > case except the hdd & cd drive. What's special about them that they
    > survived when everything else was toasted?

    I had the same thing about 5 years ago. A lightning strike hit a
    garage roof and jumpedto the phone lines about 0.5 miles from where I
    live. The result was to blow a chip from the modem card to the
    graphics card. The British Telecoms Engineer reckons that we were
    lucky it didn't result in a house fire. However, the hdd was quire
    alright.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Dec 7, 2003