    which one would be better to get and why? These cost about $5000 each and
    I'd rather get the better one.

    TIA, Bob

    Robert Kim, May 16, 2004

  2. Robert Kim

    mark_digital Guest

    Re: LCD vs. Plasma flat screen TV?

    "Robert Kim" <> wrote in message news:p...
    :Hi, all. Hope nobody minds an OT post. I just don't know where else to
    :ask and you all are knowledgeable about digital images.

    :I'm thinking of buying a 41-inch flat screen TV for my house. I was
    :leaning towards plasma but then a friend said that LCD was better and that
    :plasma TV's failed after about 6 months. Could someone please suggest
    :which one would be better to get and why? These cost about $5000 each and
    :I'd rather get the better one.

    :TIA, Bob
    --------
    I won't address your friends silly failure comment but I will say
    plasmas throw off a lot of heat. Energy consumption is quite high.
    This is something to consider if you cool your home.

    mark_

    mark_digital, May 16, 2004

  3. Robert Kim

    JMooreTS Guest

    >I'm thinking of buying a 41-inch flat screen TV for my house. I was
    >leaning towards plasma but then a friend said that LCD was better and that
    >plasma TV's failed after about 6 months. Could someone please suggest
    >which one would be better to get and why? These cost about $5000 each and
    >I'd rather get the better one.

    Bob,

    My advice is to go to a store which has floor models of each and compare the
    pictures yourself. My guess is that you'll be happiest with what you think
    looks best. I like LCD, but then your mileage may differ.

    Enjoy your shopping. I'm jealous (having only a RPTV).

    John

    JMooreTS, May 16, 2004
  4. Robert Kim

    JR Guest

    Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
    last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
    better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
    last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
    are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
    shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
    personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
    the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
    and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
    and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
    next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
    the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.

    JR

    JR, May 16, 2004
  5. Robert Kim

    JustEd Guest

    JR <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
    > last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
    > better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
    > last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
    > are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
    > shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
    > personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
    > the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
    > and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
    > and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
    > next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
    > the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
    >
    > JR

    I have the NEC 50" Plasma and cannot fault it - burn-in is a worry but
    I have not seen it in 12 months. Yes it has a screen saver function,
    yes a ghost can remain on screen after say showing 4x3 pics, but it's
    barely noticeable and disappears in no time. I researched before I
    bought and found many references to 30 year life. The resolution is
    fantastic.

    JustEd, May 17, 2004
  6. Robert Kim

    JR Guest

    In article <>,
    (JustEd) wrote:

    > JR <> wrote in message
    > > Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
    > > last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
    > > better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
    > > last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
    > > are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
    > > shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
    > > personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
    > > the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
    > > and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
    > > and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
    > > next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
    > > the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
    > >
    > > JR

    > I have the NEC 50" Plasma and cannot fault it - burn-in is a worry but
    > I have not seen it in 12 months. Yes it has a screen saver function,
    > yes a ghost can remain on screen after say showing 4x3 pics, but it's
    > barely noticeable and disappears in no time. I researched before I
    > bought and found many references to 30 year life. The resolution is
    > fantastic.

    That sounds like a great unit....The reserch I have seen and gotten from
    Sony was 7 year life...How much is the NEC 50"?

    JR

    JR, May 17, 2004
  7. Robert Kim

    Robert Kim Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004, JR wrote:

    > Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
    > last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
    > better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
    > last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
    > are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
    > shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
    > personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
    > the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
    > and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
    > and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
    > next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
    > the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
    >
    > JR

    Thank you, JR and Mark. I was thinking of hanging it off a wall as there
    is no ledge (yet) where I wanted to place it but the burn-in and energy
    consumption/heat output are a bit of a concern. Now I'm leaning towards a
    LCD on a ledge.

    Bob

    Robert Kim, May 17, 2004
  8. Robert Kim

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Kim <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 May 2004, JR wrote:
    >
    > > Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
    > > last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
    > > better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
    > > last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
    > > are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
    > > shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
    > > personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
    > > the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
    > > and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
    > > and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
    > > next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
    > > the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
    > >
    > > JR

    > Thank you, JR and Mark. I was thinking of hanging it off a wall as there
    > is no ledge (yet) where I wanted to place it but the burn-in and energy
    > consumption/heat output are a bit of a concern. Now I'm leaning towards a
    > LCD on a ledge.
    >
    > Bob

    Isn't there also a problem with gas leakage with plasma that has to be
    replaced or recharged after a few years?

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, May 17, 2004
  9. Robert Kim

    Robert Kim Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004, Bob Salomon wrote:

    > Isn't there also a problem with gas leakage with plasma that has to be
    > replaced or recharged after a few years?

    Whoa, thanks for the heads up, Bob. I don't know if it's true but I'm
    REALLY leaning towards LCD now.

    Bob

    Robert Kim, May 18, 2004
  10. Robert Kim

    charlene93727

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Plasma TV Failure

    We've had our 50" Vizio Plasma TV for about a year. Last night, we heard a pop and then the screen went dark. We've been looking at other complaints this morning, and this seems to be a very commen problem with plazma TV's from every brand. It costs about $500 to fix, and the failure happens about every 6 months to a year. Also, it is extreemly difficult to find someone who can repair it. If I had known any of this a year ago, we definately would have gone with LCD instead.

    charlene93727, Aug 27, 2008